User Tag List

Thread: A little help with tyres...

Default A little help with tyres...

Hi all, just need to pick your collective brains regarding new tyres. My OEM Bridgestones are their last legs after 25, 000 k's, and judging by what everyone has said, most tyres I can get out there will be an upgrade from it...

After reading all the other threads, I've narrowed my list down to 3:
    1. Pirelli Nero (I've been told that it may be quite pricey, up to $300 per corner?)
    2. Sumitomo HRTZ III
    3. Michelin Pilot Sports 3

I originally wanted the Goodyear Eagle F1, but apparently it doesn't come in our size...

I do lack a bit of knowledge in this area, so I've got some questions:

1. Which of the 3 provides the best bang for buck?

2. Can I fit 225's on our stock rims?

3. Has anyone heard/tried the kumho k21's? Any thoughts otherwise?

4. Any recommendations as to the best place to get tyres in Perth? Has anyone ever bought tyres over ebay? If so, any recommeded sellers?

Thanks a lot!

2. Default

Ebay St George tyres online ... on ebay just search for "Pirelli 18" and they will come up as they often sell pirellis in that size

My preference would be for the Pirellis or Michelin and if your getting from st george tyre the Pirellis would prob be most bang for your buck because of the price you can get them for.

Im nore sure abotut he 225 size

Hi mate, I just upgraded the stock tyres about a week ago. Same as you, I done 26,000kms and my tyres were border-line legal!

Since I did some looking around when I got mine (I threw it out but off memory) Prices are based off places around Perth

*Bridgestone Potenza RE050A - $505 per corner Tyrepower
    *Hankook was around $280-290 per corner West State Tyres
    *Sumitomo can't remember, I think high 200's or low 300's (apparently a good tyre Ian Diffen
    *Kumho Ecsta KU31 best price I could find was $299 at West state tyres

I went in asking for the KU31's and they didn't any in stock so they suggested the Kumho Ecsta KU21's the price came to $264.00 per corner which, after looking around seemed reasonable.

The chap at Ian Diffen Canningvale (South African I think) said I can get a 225 and he checked and said it was within specification for my vehicle. He's the one who recommended the Sumitomo to me. His service was great, helpful and inviting. He said I could come down and he will explain and show me the range of tyres. West state Tyres was actually the only one to contact me back after emailing all the leading tyre resale outlets around Perth. Unfortunatley I got a rude prick who sorted out my tyres but I ended up paying a smidge over $1000 for the lot fitted.

In short I would recommend
    Ian Diffen - Canningvale for service

But I went to
    West State Tyres - Bentley and got the Kumho Ecsta Ku21's. Can't complain, they seem a great tyre for price - check link below for info on the KU21

Kumho Tyres Australia Pty Ltd | Passenger Tyres

I would also look into BB helpful comments. A lot of guys shop online. But for convenience go local. Up to you. Hope that helps. Need more info...just ask or PM me

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

4. Default

Marangoni Mythos is also another option, they are a good tyre

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Marangoni Mythos is also another option, they are a good tyre
    Get in contact with TBDM - Stephen for info on the Marangoni Mythos or view the thread and scroll to his comments

Stephen - View Profile: TBDM - OzMPSclub - Australia's fastest growing Mazda MPS forum

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...tml#post112022

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

6. Default

On the stock rims you should to run a 225/45R18 as they are better suited to a 7" wide rim, where in most brands the 225/40R18 is designed for 7.5 - 9".
    PM me and I can help you out with a good price on the Sumitomo and possibly some other brands.

For the standard wheels I would be going with the Sumitomo ZIII for sure, they are quiet, good gripping in wet & dry as well as giving good mileage and it is one of the only tyres I have ever sold that I have never had any complaints about and they are Japanese made.

Quote Originally Posted by TBDM View Post

For the standard wheels I would be going with the Sumitomo ZIII for sure, they are quiet, good gripping in wet & dry as well as giving good mileage and it is one of the only tyres I have ever sold that I have never had any complaints about and they are Japanese made.
    Next time! For now got the Kumho Ecsta KU21's they seem ok, fairly quiet. Haven't really hammered it yet or driven in the wet much yet. Will see how they go as gar as grip goes. Cheers for the info on the Sumitomo's though, I'm sure Q-ship will find it helpful and the chap at Ian Diffen recommends them too, I understand they're not that overly expensive either.

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by TBDM View Post
    On the stock rims you should to run a 225/45R18 as they are better suited to a 7" wide rim, where in most brands the 225/40R18 is designed for 7.5 - 9".
    PM me and I can help you out with a good price on the Sumitomo and possibly some other brands.

TBDM - what are they like after the Sumitomo's have been scrubbed with a bit of wear?
    I ran the HRTZ's II for a while on my old car (mirage) which had 16's, and after about 20k worth of travel the road roar was getting quite loud - guess that's the downside to silica tyres????
    Last edited by mazda6mps; 03-06-2010 at 01:10 PM.

9. Default

The Z2 are directional tyres and are quite an aggressive directional pattern and that is where the noise comes from, expecially if they get a bif of uneven wear on them.
    The Z3 are Asymmetric and are alot better, with better compounds and newer better technology.
    I had these on my Falcon ute that gets thrashed all the time and they did 50 000kms and on my Aurion in 19" they did close to 60 with a lot of Hwy driving and maintain grip throughout there service life.

Mostly covered before,

Here -http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handling-wheels-tyres/5920-tyre-review-thread.html
    and Here - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/featu...res-3mpss.html

Enjoy!

Thanks all for your help...the Pirelli's on Ebay looks very tempting, especially the price, but I'm leaning towards the Sumitomo zIII's...
    TBDM, just PM'ed you, hopefully we can do business...

after driving on Pirelli's .. I wont go back to anything else

Just for info. My four Sumitomos cost $1065 fitted and balanced for four last year, from Ian Diffen Myaree. Great tyre and Tyre Rack tests website shows them to be a great performer. I'll buy them again.