User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn!!! Got a CEL.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    I have never had a CEL so spologies if my questions seems a bit silly but if you get a CEL means the car isnt happy right?...why doesnt the CEL stays on until the problem is fixed? why does the car allow you to clear it even though there is an issue, what do you make of a CEL that comes on and once cleared it never comes back. Just seems to me a bit weird.

Cheers.
    By clearing the code you are telling the car the issue is solved. That being the case the same triggers will need to be set off before it comes back on.

Sometimes a CEL will come on then never again because the ECU can deal with it in time. By resetting the ECU the ECU has to relearn everything so a CEL might come back, by clearing it and letting the ECU sort it out with what it has already learnt it could stay away.

This is a classic case of the ECU trying to deal with the issue then deciding after 1500km that it cant. By resetting the ECU to clear the code it has started to learn again and as the weather is colder the code has come back faster. The denser air has sped up the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post

Sometimes a CEL will come on then never again because the ECU can deal with it in time. By resetting the ECU the ECU has to relearn everything so a CEL might come back, by clearing it and letting the ECU sort it out with what it has already learnt it could stay away.

This is a classic case of the ECU trying to deal with the issue then deciding after 1500km that it cant. By resetting the ECU to clear the code it has started to learn again and as the weather is colder the code has come back faster. The denser air has sped up the process.
    It has actually seemed the opposite for me. First CEL was reset through a diagnostic device. Then it came back the next day.
    2nd time i had to disconnect the battery resetting the ECU. And it hasnt come back, yet. im sure itll show itself again in time.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback on the straightener vs your one Oldhead.

yep.. as oldhead said.. your straightener is designed well.. dont touch it.

I believe clearing the code itself does not clear the pending faults.. so the ECU only had to see it once.. and it shits the bed and throws a CEL..

now you have done a full NVM reset.. it will require to see the fault a few times before it chucks a wobbly again..

As I said before I have a maf housing which has no straighteners.. and its a tad too big... I think we can get creative and put a sleeve in the MAf housing and make in nice and small(er).. see what happens first when you do swap the box in before we get too carried away..

Good luck

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    By clearing the code you are telling the car the issue is solved. That being the case the same triggers will need to be set off before it comes back on.

Cheers dude, makes sense
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

and to be honest.. im just happy its not the DP i recommended to you... I would be feeling guilty otherwise

Nothing to be guilty over mate. I knew I was the first gen 2 here to get it and there is never any promises.
    I took your recomendations on board cause you know your shit.
    You've been more than helpful.

All we have to do now is sort out your intake...

From MSF;
    Gen 1 stock maf housing ID 66.5mm
    Gen 2 stock maf housing ID 68.0mm
    Cp-e sri Gen 1 and 2......ID 66.0mm
    Corksport sri Gen 1...... ID 66.0mm
    Corksport sri Gen 2.......ID 68.0mm
    In another thread corksport say this
    "That being said, using a 66mm MAF on a 2010 should NOT BY ANY MEANS cause a CEL, it would, rather, have a massive factor of safety."
    So it seems CP-E and Corksport must have different theories on this.
    Maybe i source a CP-E MAF?

Just an update:
    400kms later and no CEL with nothing changed.
    Been pretty cold in the morning too. 12 degrees.
    Makes it hard to sort out. Maybe it'll take a while for the LTFT to get back to cel stage.

add cold and rainy maybe.. i dunno..

Ahh ****. Just drove to helensburgh. 6th gear freeway, 14' and cel!
    Won't put up with this for long!!!

please do post up corksports reply cotn

doc

No problem,
    This is what they had to say about it.
    "It’s hard for me to be sure on anything without being able to duplicate your issue. But I can at least tell you from an engineering standpoint what I think it is. I believe it may be due to the cold weather and the fact that our intake does run slightly higher LTFT than stock (which is a result of making more power with any SRI). Our MAF housing is optimized to use the stock diameter with our air straightener to increase HP and Torque. By decreasing the MAF housing diameter to 66mm, you may be able to decrease the LTFT enough to never see the CEL. However, you would do this by sacrificing some of the gains you are wanting when you get a SRI to begin with.
    Basically, it’s all a complex engineering task to design a SRI that makes decent power gains as well as keeps a CEL from coming on. More gains = more chances of CEL. Less gains = less chances of CEL.
    Have you seen the CEL since the cold weather you experienced?
    Keep me informed and I’ll keep working on my end to come up with a solution and not just reasons for your CEL."

Not sure where ill go from here...
    I know Arden has the CP-E CAI with no cel problems.
    Might have to go with CP-E's SRI. Since it has the smaller MAF.
    I know i can get a Dashhawk and clear the code myself and all, But to be honest id prefer fix the problem for good. I would like to enjoy the drive rather than get addicted to checking my LTFT all the time.
    i wonder if the CP-e intake will bolt up to corksports inlet that i have?

My light as been on since monday afternoon, mines from the aftermarket exhaust with the o2 sensor doesn't come up to temp.....?????

Some people might be fine with a CEL on.
    Personally im not. I would prefer treat the CEL as a warning light that something isnt right.
    Its a brand new car with under 5000kms on it.

I hate mine being on too, it's happen 3 times since I bought it on 1st of august 2008 new, it seems to happen in colder times when i first bought and when i went to bathurst in feb this year a little cooler than brissy and this week once it got cooler.... My only thought is it may not be related to the o2 sensor and could be on for another reason so I will be dropping into the boys on tuesday next week for them to have a look before I go to lakeside track on the monday.

My boys will also be at the track the guys from Grand Prix Mazda and the boys who look after the race car as well....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 12-06-2010 at 03:35 PM.

was just out driving for about an hour and my outside temp said 8'. Thats pretty cold.
    Cel didnt come back on either, so my conclusion is that it must take around 400-500kms for the LTFT to get to a stage where it spits the dummy and chucks a CEL.
    I remember reading about someone in the states saying the same thing. Kept coming back at 400kms or so.

Seaton can u get your hands on(borrrow) dashawk , Ist i would like to know if this constant CEL is a historical in ECU memory. If your original Cel was not totally removed (not just reset via disc battery)

I beleive that ECU memory will reissue CEL if it is not removed from history,

Dashawk will give u current open loop LTFT which will ease your mind for the time being , u wont have to constantly monitor. Besides your recent dyno showed normal AFR.
    Im scratching my head also re your prob,but i do beleive as per Jasons responce that cold air volume is initial cause.

Lets see if we can start from scratch with a clear ECU. NO historicals. Thats the best i can come up with at the moment.

If anyone in sydney is happy to help out with a dashhawk i will drive where ever i need to and we can plug in and check it out.
    I was under the impression that the battery disconnect did remove it. And that having it just cleared with a diagnostic device did leave it there in history.
    Although i could be very wrong.

Stock airbox going back on this arvo!!! CEL came on again today.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast