User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn!!! Got a CEL.

Not trying to dissagree here cause you guys are more eductated in this than me,
    but it's seen much colder air than this.
    Ok, I saw the reading on the guys machine and it said post cat lean? Does that not mean 2nd sensor. Forgive me if I'm wrong doc.

Just to ask the obvious question, how does the car feel ?, any hesitation, or irregular feel when idling, accelerating, on / off boost etc.
    Before everyone starts jumping to conclusions, see what Chris thinks, maybe the second o2 sensor has failed, I have had o2 sensors fail before.
    Where abouts in Sydney are you, maybe one of us (with a PC) could plug a DH in and run a few logs to try and help narrow things down.

the reading on the guys obdII is seeing a code... p2096.. and it has built in standard responses.

Mazda has used this P2096 code.. and made it mean something similar.. but not identical. So the machine has read the code correctly.. but has assigned an incorrect designated response to that code. Almost every other car it would be right.. but not on Mazda.. I stumbled across it in the service manual. One of the first things it says to look at is the MAF.. (or the housing in your case)..

not a drama mate.. just throwing what info I have out there

Doc

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Just to ask the obvious question, how does the car feel ?, any hesitation, or irregular feel when idling, accelerating, on / off boost etc.
    Before everyone starts jumping to conclusions, see what Chris thinks, maybe the second o2 sensor has failed, I have had o2 sensors fail before.
    Where abouts in Sydney are you, maybe one of us (with a PC) could plug a DH in and run a few logs to try and help narrow things down.
    Chris is confident that its not the DP, after I went through the service manyal with him, and what the actual code means to Mazda, and seeing oldhead had the exact same code before the DP. Its not the second sensor.. its the first one

Has anyone taken an ID measurement of the CS intake MAF housing, isnt there variation between the stock housing sizes between the gen 1's and 2's, I doubt any of the aftermarket manufacturers would have made this change in their parts, and we are starting to see how willing the gen 2's are to throw a cel at the first sign of change.

They do seem to have a much tighter tolerance on LTFT limits.. as per what corksport were saying..

Cotn.. you say the car has seen colder conditions.. but has it seen them consecutively? It need to see the fault a few times (at least twice) .. seeing its been so cold and rainy(ie higher air density) for the past week.. not just a cold snap of a day or so.. this could also be why its only sticking its head up now

Has anyone taken an ID measurement of the CS intake MAF housing, isnt there variation between the stock housing sizes between the gen 1's and 2's, I doubt any of the aftermarket manufacturers would have made this change in their parts, and we are starting to see how willing the gen 2's are to throw a cel at the first sign of change.
    The below came from the corksport Product Development Manager,

Yeah we made some changes, the new cars certainly run a lot tighter on the LTFT's - an intake that would make 6-8% on the LTFT's on the 1st Gen would make between 12-16% on the 2010 and then when it got colder, etc we saw very intermittent CEL's.

I have seen people with earlier intakes of a number of brands who have gotten the P0171 CEL which would also indicate this.

The major change we made was just adding a diffuser, our earlier intakes did not run one as they didn't need it with the 6-8% LTFT's. With the diffuser in the new version we still get 6-8% LTFT's. We did make other changes but I'm not sharing them. We did not change our MAF housing diameter.

nice one mate

I was looking for that!

No diameter change.. as i thought I could remember..

And they too say when the weather get cold the CEL's come a knocking. Exactly the same thing that happened with the gen 2 guys on here when it cold cold..

Thanks for the input

Doc

Ive driven to work (100km return trip) all of this week and i havent got a CEL!hope i dont get one!!!

i reset the ecu. and went for a drive and it didnt come on. i even turned it on off a few times. so ive left the intake on for now.
    not sure what else i can do really......

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

the car feels normal....
    im on the Northern Beaches. Mona Vale.

BINGO . The cold air is what is causing this CEL ,once u have modified the intake. As Doc states cold air is way dense.

Should not cause any problems IMO. Look at my LTFT.relates exactly as per Jason from corksport.

Specifically in USA / Canada where air temps can drop dramatically. Remember we can have cold days ,but it is also effected by humidity and in MAY.June July August especially with cold SW winds the air is dry and very cold..
    Im not a guru ,but do some research.

My Cel was post SRI and Pre DP.

Ok, so if it comes back do we suggest i modify the air straightener as you did?
    I def gotta get a dashhawk soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    Ok, so if it comes back do we suggest i modify the air straightener as you did?
    I def gotta get a dashhawk soon.
    Your SRI/intake is diff to my SRI altogether. So i can not make any recomendation other than (leave current intake as is knowing that your AFR is safe ala your dyno sheet) or swapping back to std air intake for a trail period.
    I also live along side the beach ,and we are about to get some very cold weather and i will be monitoring my engine management system . But overall qld is not as cold as NSW.

yup.. once you see the CEL again.. swap the intake out.. take some photos of the straighteners.. and we'll go from there.. (may even see if we can look into getting a sleeve fitted to speed the air up a little). I have an old maf housing laying around we can molest if req'd.

Thanks for your help and input oldhead. We would not have gotten to the bottom of this so quickly if it wasn't for your experience with the code.

So has Chris taken a look into this issue? Like what was his diagnosis for the CEL?

Big thanks to you guys for being so helpful with this...
    ill just have to wait till it shows up again.
    I was going to see Chris today but i spoke with him last night and im going to leave it for now. He is more than willing to have a look if i want,
    But with Doc, Chris & Oldhead all agreeing its the intake and not the second sensor ill save myself the 2.5 hour round trip.
    Last edited by Cton; 05-06-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Here is some pictures of the straightener...
    The front edges of the spltter are nice and rounded. From what i remember yours were more of a squared shape Oldhead?
    Havent got the CEL again. and i took it for a run early this morning and it felt pretty cold.
    Also, i spoke with Coksport. And believe they have seen this thread. Hopefully they can shed some light.
    They say they have never gotten a CEL from intake on their car. but with the downpipe they have.
    But of course they do not have the BM downpipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6900..jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	4114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6899..jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	4115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6896..jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	4116  
    Last edited by Cton; 05-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.

seems contradictary as oldhead had this code without and DP upgrades..

Yes i agree Doc.
    And like Chris said, If the DP was to throw a CEL it should be doing it straight away.
    What do you make of the edges on the straightener here Doc?

I have never had a CEL so spologies if my questions seems a bit silly but if you get a CEL means the car isnt happy right?...why doesnt the CEL stays on until the problem is fixed? why does the car allow you to clear it even though there is an issue, what do you make of a CEL that comes on and once cleared it never comes back. Just seems to me a bit weird.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    Yes i agree Doc.
    And like Chris said, If the DP was to throw a CEL it should be doing it straight away.
    What do you make of the edges on the straightener here Doc?
    That straightener is obviously well designed cotn. IMO no need to modify at all ,as it has rounded leading edges and it allows u to change the clock position relevent to your maf .
    I repeat that i feel it has thrown a cell due to an increase in air volume being read by maf (ie much colder air density) Jason from corksport has already eluded to the facts,but will not post his fix as it is to corksports benefit (manufacturers rights).
    Your straightener is a far better design than mine.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast