User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn!!! Got a CEL.

similar cel i got just an idea for a boosted car vs a NA one.

just checked all clamps/hoses. all tight. i actually did them even tighter though the inlet is aluminium so i dont want to crush it.

ok just had a long chat with Chris about this (i was booking my car in for a resonator install)

we both think that its water in a plug related..

as it should be richer than normal because there is no cat to burn off the unburnt fuel before the second 0xy sensor.

And you have negative fuel trims (so do I.. its not a problem) which means that its running a little richer than it assumes it should be.. so it is pulling or removing a little bit of fuel.. These two things are contradictory.. so we are thinking that the only thing thats changed is the damn weather..

And its saying its running lean on the second sensor, this is totally disagreeing with the first (and more important) oxy sensor which is saying its running slightly rich, and hence pulling a little fuel.
    Also.. seeing it came on instantly sounds a little funny too.

Chris wants you to bring the car to him on the weekend.. he said he'd call you, but give him a buzz if you get a sec.

Get Chris to spray the connector on the second oxy sensor with some contact cleaner...

This is not your usual cat inefficiency P0420 code.. Which is what you usually get if your DP is not designed correctly.. because the second oxy sensor will be picking up MORE FUEL due lack of cat converter.. (as the cat will burn off and alter the fuel so it makes the trees and flowers happy).

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

ok do me one more favor..

start the car.. let it idle for say 30 secs..
    turn it off
    repeat process 3 times..

this will ensure there is no CEL looming on the horizon at least.. ie this will indicate a soft/intermittent fault (water or loose connector)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

ok do me one more favor..

start the car.. let it idle for say 30 secs..
    turn it off
    repeat process 3 times..

this will ensure there is no CEL looming on the horizon at least.. ie this will indicate a soft/intermittent fault (water or loose connector)
    All done..... seems fine Doc.

let me know how its goes tomorrow with a cold start.. and let us know how it does on sat

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    haha. i would already have a dashhawk if i had a pc. Damn!
    I use Macs at home and work, its never stopped me from owning and using a Dashhawk, I do have access to PCs at work if I do any data logging etc (if you are patient you can even view your log files on the unit), but any other changes (screens, warnings etc) can all be done via the unit itself, sure a PC will help with the initial setup, but once it is set I doubt you will need to hook one up on a regular basis.

If you own an Intel based Mac, you can just boot in windoze mode and it will have full connectivity and functionality with the Dashhawk.

Hope you can sort your cel soon, it may just have been a one off due to all this bloody rain, maybe Chris just needs to refine his second o2 sensor trick for the gen 2's.

Another clamp that is renown for undoing itself is the one on the turbo inlet, which is also probably the most difficult one to access.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Thanks matt. I'll be looking into a dashhawk soon. Just bought a CPe mount so it's gonna need to wait a litte bit.
    The turbo inlet is definately tight. It's got a corksport inlet withthe good t bolt clamps on that too. So it's not loose like the stock one. Thanks for the dashhawk info. No cel this morning!!!

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Hang on I take it back. It's on again! Shit.

The cat uses oxygen in the exhaust to combust the fuel. So what you end up with in the exhaust after passing through the cat is a gas mixture that is reduced in hydrocarbons and reduced in oxygen relative to the mixture entering the cat.
    Low O2 voltage = lean mixture after the cat. And you don't have a cat before this sensor.. So it should only go low voltage if there is a problem with it's connector.. Ie open circuit...Or the sensor itself..
    Remember that the guy told you your fuel trims were negative.. That means your top oxy sensor is reading RICH.. There is something screwie with your sensor I think bud

doc
    Last edited by Doc; 04-06-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Doc can't type

Ok thanks mate.
    Chris will check it out tomorrow...

If anyone can sort it.. He will

Hey Seaton, been away for couple days ,just read your CEL. My thoughts are that its atributible to your intake. P2096 was my cel when having intake probs. I run dashhawk and all readings for LTFT since D/P have been averaging +5.5 to + 9.6 . Also noticed that this code was lodged as historical on my dashawk ,so the ECU does hold any CEL for long term reference.,since clearing historical NO further occurences.

My latest dyno showed safe levels and in reality it was rich.

Sorry to hear your headache.,but i do not think it is caused by D/P. Many USA owners have had CEL throw by various intakes ,including Corksport.

How does it throw the code at 'post cat' then?
    Stuffed if I know. All I know is it's very annoying.
    Plus the intake had been on for 3000kms no cel.
    Thanks mate.

cold weather = denser air.. (ie more of it) this can and will lean things out a little

but im stuffed if i know why its snagging your post cat..

Possibly the guy that said your fuel trims are negative.. he may have gotten it wrong.. maybe your fuel trims are positive by a fair bit..

its all making a little more sense now..

Oldhead.. thank you this was doing my head in

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

OLDHEAD... did you have that CEL in your memory when you first got the dashhawk (ie before you had the downpipe installed)?

it makes more scene than a cat thats not there leaning out the mixture..

what downpipe are you running on your Gen 2?

Corksport don't have one do they?

I dare say whoever installed it did it incorrectly, cause if you follow the guides, they are usually pretty bloody spot on! Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop?

Straight from the MPS service manual:

P2096
    Target AlF feedback system too lean

Mazda use a slightly different meaning for a P2096 which is usually lean after cat (If second oxy sensor has failed, or is unplugged)

This meaning lines up 100% with what oldhead is saying.. its the intake.. and after doing a bit of research.. the gen2's are throwing CEL's left right and center due to intakes. including the corksport one.. Especially when it gets cold!

hhmm.. very interesting

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 04-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.

16. Default

How big is the bung the O2 sensor is connected to?

The idea of a bung is to cheat the sensor into thinking the mixture is leaner than it really is as less unused / unburnt fuel is being sorted by the CAT.

You could just need to put the sensor closer to the flow...

And then again I could be completely off base! (probably will be)

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    what downpipe are you running on your Gen 2?

Corksport don't have one do they?

I dare say whoever installed it did it incorrectly, cause if you follow the guides, they are usually pretty bloody spot on! Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop?
    This is looking more and more like an intake issue.. as its the same code oldhead threw before he had the DP fitted.. The MZR intake issue

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

lots of gen 2 guys with CELs due to intakes here Mazdaspeed Forums - View Poll Results
    Last edited by Doc; 04-06-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Doc cant type

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This is looking more and more like an intake issue.. as its the same code oldhead threw before he had the DP fitted.. The MZR intake issue

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

lots of gen 2 guys with CELs due to intakes here Mazdaspeed Forums - View Poll Results
    What is the consensus on why?

Yeah I've seen that poll.... I had spoken with mps garage prior to getting the intake...
    They said the only cel from that intake is from incorrect fitment. They have a 100% success rate. And since it took 3000kms to come on I kinda ruled that out. I'll reset the cel tonight. Go for a drive. If it comes back on I'll put standard intake on and try again.
    Thanks guys.

ive read P2096 after an intake install on a yanky board.. just cant find it now..

This code is not referring to the second oxy sensor.. as I originally thought it was.. its talking about that the first sensor its seeing.. doesnt matter how many cats or what downpipe you have fitted, it makes no difference to this sensor.

Its thrown the CEL in cold weather just like some of the MZR intakes did when the temp fell.

Good luck with it.. Please do keep us updated, however I would be throwing the stock airbox back on now.. as you know the light is coming on, and nothing has changed. Time to step by step work this out. Ill bet the first step of removing the intake will fix it.

Good luck mate

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 04-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast