User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What do you LOVE about your Mazda MPS?

... was coming out of a round-a-bout this evening with a Nissan 350Z following close behind. We both turned out onto the same round which opened up into 2 lanes.

I was watching him behind me as I casually drove off and then watched him accelerate in my rear view mirror in the lane left next to me. So I accelerated...keeping him just at bay with about a car's length between us.

He accelerated..I accelerated..he accelerated...I accelerated .. was very funny to watch his face...trying to figure out "why can't I overtake this little MPS".

The road eventually forked off with both of us going our separate ways.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

2. Default

Wacking it into 3rd gear and planting the accelerator as I merge onto a freeway!!!!

Im with BB - "I love the fact that when the old girl is all clean and glossy, she still looks stylish and sporty even after nearly 6 years. The mps6 still looks classy and modern even compared to styling of new cars, doesnt feel aged"

I often forget how good mine is when stuck in the daily commute, when even under acceleration that keeps you ahead of most of the geese, the Dashhawk records a throttle opening of no more than 25%. But it is when you get the odd occasion where you have to pour on the coal, such as for an emergency avoidance manoeuvre, or to join a freeway and some fool is playing silly buggers when you merge and you decide to dispose of him, that the car never ceases to surprise me with its shear blast in second, third and fourth gears, that effectively eliminates all problems in a flash.

I had occasion to appreciate the MPS' huge braking power in the weekend, too, when a truck driven by some dweeb two cars ahead of me clipped a heavy roadworks rubber bollard and sent it flying into the air. It bounced off the roof of a car in front before heading straight for my windscreen. I had nowhere to go as the roadworks lane was narrow, with excavations on both sides and all marked out by other bollards, so all I could do was stand on the anchors. It's not often I hear and feel the ABS come into play, but the car stopped in mere metres from 70kmh like a giant hand had grabbed it, and the bollard just lightly clipped my RH front corner, leaving only a small mark that easily polished out. Very close. If I hadn't braked we would have 10kg of bollard through the screen and inside the car!

Thanks brakes! I look forward to the new slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads about to be fitted too....
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

All-wheel-drive power oversteer.

The fact that it out-handles other cars with "AWD" and "RWD" all the while retaining the driveline layout that the uneducated love to hate.

I can't imagine there would be anything in my area of the world that would stick with it through the twisties ! And I don't believe I am even close to finding it's limits yet.

Also, the fact that it's chock full of fruit and doesn't look, handle, and stop like a taxi...

MPS190, Yes that always intrigued me too. When FWD came out, a la Mini, etc, it ate all the competition. The old Citroens ("Traction Avant") were popular in Rhodesia where I was as they FWD would pull them out of the crap sections of double strip seal on many of the roads. The Austin 1800 was a fabulous car to drive in all sorts of horrible conditions, for its price and as a family car. In short, FWD was GOOD.

But now BMW are most guilty in promoting their offerings as "a real driver's car" as it is one of the few RWDs around and make some sort of argument that you can't steer and drive at the same time with the same set of wheels.

I've had many FWD cars for years and find they don't skate off the road like so many RWDs have been known to. And I find that pointing your wheels where you want to go and piling on the coals gets you out of the nooah more often than not.

But I love the AWD and power on oversteer of the MPS6!. And we don't have a boot badge telling the world about it.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    But now BMW are most guilty in promoting their offerings as "a real driver's car" as it is one of the few RWDs around and make some sort of argument that you can't steer and drive at the same time with the same set of wheels.
    It's really going to be hard to swallow when the next series 1 and 3's are all FWD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678