User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance for Modded mps ?

1. Default insurance for Modded mps ?

need advice / info on what insurance company will cover a modded mps or which insurance company people with modded mps are insured through.

thanks for any help

Modded? Our cars aren't modded
    Mines a special edition

Blog Entries

They all factory optioned

Shannon's will cover modded vehicles, and pricing (in my case) was not much more than NRMA's.

In my case, Shannons wanted $700 more than NRMA

the other option is JustCarInsurance but i never got a quote thru them.

Shannon's cover over 25's and is for car enthusiasts so most likely insure a modded car no worries.
    Rac or HBF do not like modded cars (or bikes for that matter)
    I would say either Just car, AAMI, or Shannon's would be the way to go. AAMI is useless though, pretty dumb company even though I'm with them. You can do online quote's for AAMI and I think Just Car too

AAMI
    Online Insurance Quotes - Car and Home Insurance Australia - AAMI

Just CAR
    Online Car Insurance Quote Terms - Just Car Insurance

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

yep best 3 mentioned above.

Im with Shannons now and use to be with AAMI after i changed from JustCars insurance.

I'm with AAMI and can agree with Rogwick that they aren't the smartest people around. Personally I found they gave me a cheaper price when i got a quote over the phone.

They didn't cover all of my aftermarket parts but they have listed them on my policy.

Just to give you an idea i'm a 23 year old Male and from memory with all the extras (hire car and other crap) i pay about $1000

9. Default

thanks everyone ill ring a few and get some quotes

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    thanks everyone ill ring a few and get some quotes
    Ring up AAMI twice, you may get varied quote figures...seriously! FYI similar to Toddy, I'm a 22 yo male and was insured for $1054.00 with my car stock. Have now listed most (not all) of the mods on my signature below. Can't remember what my Premium is now, as it did go up a little but not much. I would guess it to be around ~$1100.00 (My vehicle value went from $33,000.00 to $37,000.00 insured sum) Just car was around $1,500-1,700 off memory? Just punch in figures on the online quote to get an idea

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

$1054 ????
    is that just CTP or Comprehensive?
    it's costing me $1800 a year as a 22 yr old male, for comprehensive with AAMI

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    $1054 ????
    is that just CTP or Comprehensive?
    it's costing me $1800 a year as a 22 yr old male, for comprehensive with AAMI
    Full comprehensive mate, also with added crash history of writing off a $12,000.00 motorcycle back in August 2009 (gave them the details, all the honest stuff you have to fill in) I assume you have had no major convictions/cancellations and all that jazz? Just for info, try the quick online quote when you got 5mins. You don't have to submit or register. Plonk in your details (age, vehicle etc) and let me know what you get as an estimate?

M P S

No point compareing numbers if you all live in different places. Crime rates change the cost of insurance.
    I found GIO to be the cheapest, but they do charge an extra $400 excess for not driving a boring car. But even if you adjust the excess on NRMA and AAMI they still work out more expensive, just.
    Shannons for me was much more expensive, even if I insured my '61 Mercedes with them aswell.
    Yet strangely shannons worked out to be much cheaper for dad and his MPS and other cars combined.

Shannons are also much more negotiable on their valuations of the car. GIO won't budge on the value of my Mercedes dispite it being easily worth twice what they claim it is.

In my years panel beating I don't think I've ever came across a claim that was denied because of modifications that weren't on the policy.
    Most of the time the aftermarket part costs less than factory so they are more than happy to pay. As was the case when I claimed on 4 smashed wheels. Saved them a fortune if they had to buy factory Mazda SP23 rims and tyres

only times I've had a problem was front mount intercoolers that wouldn't have been damaged if the car was stock (tmic) - customer just paid the difference in the end.
    And stupidly, NRMA wouldn't pay to get blue light globes, only standard globes. Yet on the same job they had no problem with the aftermarket front bumper

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Full comprehensive mate, also with added crash history of writing off a $12,000.00 motorcycle back in August 2009 (gave them the details, all the honest stuff you have to fill in) I assume you have had no major convictions/cancellations and all that jazz? Just for info, try the quick online quote when you got 5mins. You don't have to submit or register. Plonk in your details (age, vehicle etc) and let me know what you get as an estimate?

yeah, must be cause im in sydney compared to perth...
    in sydney it's 1800
    in perth (Watermans, 6020) it's 950
    stupid insurance companies...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    yeah, must be cause im in sydney compared to perth...
    in sydney it's 1800
    in perth (Watermans, 6020) it's 950
    stupid insurance companies...
    Good to know you got the same figure, suggesting they got the information right. No harm in checking. Different areas, different states affect the policy. That's a fair bit over there. Come live here and you have $800 to spend on a mod! lol

M P S

GIO.... all the way!!! i have been with GIO for years!!! every mod is on there books even passed cars... never had a mod not covered by them..... when u add mods they do charge you extra tho.

I'm with QBE. They allow any mods, as long as it is legal.

Seemed to be cheap, compared to most (that would allow mods)

You can even do pay by the month, for those less fortunate wage earners.

I'm also with QBE and they were great when I wrote off my 200SX which was mild modified (exhaust, pod, rims).

I've stuck with them as they are cheap (could be a special offer at the moment to get into QLD perhaps).

What do you's pay a month car and mods?

Grrrrrrr! Reactivating this thread. Seems a few people have been through this hoop. Now me too.

I've just been advised by my insurer CGU that an after-market FMIC is not "a legal or approved fitment" under their guidelines. I'll get about 7 days notice to find a new insurer once they have sent me a letter outlining their objection to the mod. What a pain! So I've been reading through the above posts, and plainly there seems to be a bit of variation of opinion as to who to insure with.

Once I find a new insurer to run with, I'll cancel my Toyota insurance with CGU too, if they're going to be sniffy about mods, and in any event, I didn't like their agreed value on the Toyota much. Both cars are immaculate, looked after and driven well, and yet one finds oneself being treated as a high-risk hoon just because one changes the path the air takes into the engine! It's like blaming spoons for obesity!! I'm sure CGU would be just ecstatic to see the list of mods other here have, and which far exceed mine. They won't insure for exhaust extractors or lowering or wide wheels either.

Not happy. As if you can't tell. I'll be pleased to hear any comment or suggestions.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 09-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast