User Tag List

Thread: Cobb SF Intake

Default Cobb SF Intake

Well here is the SF intake from Cobb.

Firstly it is a very good kit, and relatively easy to install, Hardest part of the install was teh removal of the breather hose plug. Once that is removed it is smooth sailing.

Initial impressions:

Sounds great, alot crisper than the TurboXS intake I had, Great mod for the price. The pod filter itself takes only seconds to remove for cleaning.

Sourced from therpmstore

Last but not least.... some pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

Blog Entries

looks good- how does it sound?

Very crisp and smooth Not as loud as the CAI though, but loud enough.

Is it braced at all?

Yep, sure is... Look at the 2nd pic, at the base of the battery box, there is a CLEAN black plate, that is the support bracket, it attaches to the underside of the MAF housing.

Nice, thought it might have been. As soon as I looked at the pic I went outside and popped the bonnet. My Mazdaspeed CAI is currently configured as an SRI just floating free which I have to do something about...

^^ Definitely mate, not something you want flopping all over the shop under the bonnet.

Its a great unit - very popular in the US (have had issue where demand has far exceeded supply). There is a MAF air-straightener or something in the design which has given it a tick of apporval in the mazdaspeed community.

That breather hose plug was a PITA (took about 80% of the install time).

me want one, how much? its about time i started the mods

they were around the 300 mark but unsure where they are priced with the **** exchange rate

Nevermind Guest

Looks good

Gee its good we have growing aftermarket mod support, but damn its hard to get your head around whats "best", even though most of it I guess is opinion based.

I have not used any of the after market setups, but i dont think there would be much difference between them, apart for the ones that have air straightners, and different size MAF housings. There is nothing much to them, this COBB unit does look nice, with the intergrated breather inlet and the cast plastic MAF housing/bellmouth for the filter. I dont understand why they all use bright blue silicon sections.... Would look perfect with black and a darker coloured filter or box. My opinion anyway.

The best aftermarket ones going around from what I could see would be the CPE CAI, or the CorkSport SRI.

the Corksport SRI is the only intake on the market to include the turbo inlet pipe!(369 off MPS Garage)

Cobb is cheap, 310 off MPS Garage.

Any comments re the QLD summer heat/traffic queues and the SRI??

I live in cairns and it gets HOT up here !! and used to live in Townsville which is just as bad... never had any issues..

I have the COBB SRI on my MPS6 and I love it but if I could do it again I would have tried the Corksport SRI, inlet pipes is a bonus and they arent cheap, makes sense (from the accountan within....).

17. Default

Sound is wicked on the Cobb SF Intake.

Too bad the ECU seems to notice after a day or two the extra air. I'm sure my car lost power on the 3rd day after the install. As in it went back to the stock power characteristics.