User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6MPS Exhaust options

1. Default 6MPS Exhaust options

I want to modify our 6 but am not keen to do the Dump Pipe until the car is our of warranty, which is another 12 months away. After haviing the car on the hoist and checking out the exhaust after the cat, specifically the y pipe bit, I was thinking about getting that remade as it does not look lie it flows very well. Im also wondering if anyone knows if the standard rear mufflers are very restricitve? I like the small note they give and certainly dont want anything loud or with any drone, a little note is ok but nothing too over the top.
    So I am thinking about re-doing the pipework from the cat back to the rear mufflers, am I wasting my time without changing the mufflers or will it acheive nothing without the downpipe.
    I have a hi-flow metalic cat sitting at home off one of these cars which I will probably throw on as well.
    I can have all this done for the cost of parts and a carton so Im just not sure which way to go.

There are a few 6 here that have different exhaust systems. I have heard a CPe and I have a corksport, both give a nice external subtle note. From inside the car, I can only comment on the corksport, and that it has annoying drone at times. But I think overall the quality in particular and the sound most of the time outweigh the occassional drone. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

I have the CP-E downpipe and a custom cat back installed on my 6. Fair enough if you want to wait for the warranty before putting in a downpipe as it may give you the typical turbo seal problems a lot of people seem to have (I have not experienced in mine...yet) I thought the standard 'Y' piece was a more like a curved 'T' piece and I felt it was a bit restrictive too. As Russell mentioned above the corksport exhaust is an option and a better flowing exhaust gas design. I opted to get a custom cat-back designed, fabricated and installed when I had the downpipe installed. Labour was all done in one hit to save me time, cash and hassle.

I can't comment too much about the standard mufflers being restrictive, but as a short answer I would say 'yes they are' IMO. The mufflers I have which are Super-cats are more of a straight through muffler, which, by rights, should deliver a better flow, thus additional performance. The amount of gains (if any at all) in comparison to the stock mufflers I honestly do not know, but that's just a personal opinion really. I've always thought the quieter the exhaust the harder it is for the exhaust gases to flow out, (being muffled).

In regards to exhaust note, it really depends on the individual really. Personally I'm not really a fan of a super quiet car. They're boring to drive, and does not really give you the passion of driving a sports car. In saying that, milo tin exhausts are annoying, loud, cheap and have 'hoon' labelled all over it. In conjuction with my two supercat mufflers I have 3" mandrel bend coated mild steel piping, one resonator located just after the DP, a second resonator located further down, which then split into the 'y' piece and into the two mufflers respectively.

The result (based on my set-up) is;
    - A 'beast' on cold start-up (2,000RPM)
    - Very quiet on warm idle.
    - Sound and performance under throttle,
    - Very quiet in the high gears cruising.
    - At one point I was getting about as much road noise at 100kmph than I was exhaust note.

If you find yourself attending a cruise (WA) or meet and I'm there I'll show you mine. Toddy also has a similar exhaust but was designed by another chap. His is a little more louder than mine. Hope that give you some idea. If you have any questions about the above let me know

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

4. Default

hmm interesting, Looking on MPS Garage the corksport system in quite well priced, but the mufflers do look quite small and IMO would drone

I found these posts in other threads
    Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If you're thinking about exhaust options, it might help to know that the stock MPS6 mufflers are a piece of engineering brilliance. Their design specifically matches the car to cancel droning and resonance and they do so with a loss of just 4kw more than after market hi-flow mufflers.

There are two flow restrictions in the stock MPS6 exhaust that have proven to give good gains when dealt with intelligently; the DP is one and it's covered elsewhere in these discussions. The other restriction is the T-piece, which is why I hate twin exhaust outlets on inline 4 cylinder engines.

If you can get hold of a well-made mid pipe that improves flow at the split, you can gain up to 17kw. By keeping the stock mufflers it will cost a fraction of a cat-back system, it will deliver about the same power gains and it will have none of the droning and noise issues. This configuration has been proven by an experienced race car engineer, but the idea has never gained traction because a bunch of CPe fanboys told the expert that he didn't know what he was talking about. He quickly stopped wasting his time on Mazda development.

It makes you wonder if the after market suppliers are only interested in maximising their profits, or if they feel obliged to produce products to meet the often poorly informed expectations of the market, even if that means producing products that are not optimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    It's not the mufflers that are hindering flow, it's the T piece. The stock mufflers are only robbing about 5hp compared to straight through mufflers, but they offer the benefit of being tuned to suit the car and from a noise perspective will out perform every after market muffler.

If you're looking for more noise go ahead a change the mufflers, but you'll be lucky to see a 4kw gain. If you're looking for more performance, keep the stock mufflers and replace the mid pipe with a 3 inch into a low angle merge collector going out to 2.5 inch mandrel bent curves that step down to meet the stock flanges on the mufflers.

This low cost option has been proven to give a 19hp (14kw) gain atw, with little to no increase in noise.

Of course you could add a DP later and more than double that gain.
    Last edited by TBDM; 31-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Hi TDBM, I have the CP_e catted Downpipe and kept the entire stock cat-back system, although I had bought the CP-E catback stainless sytem which I still have but have decided to sell. The car runs well and is quieter than with the 3" SS system. While there is little doubt that the stock mufflers are more restrictive, KMH001 has said it pretty well. I'm not stressing about losing ~4Kw, and I don't want lots of blat and drone. The car cackles pleasantly a little bit on a cold start as a result of unburnt fuel in the DP from the rich idle setting, but in 15s settles to a nice quiet but purposeful sounding idle, and only barks a little, unnoticeable inside, when you goose the throttle for a sudden burst of power. It's as quiet as stock on normal road use. I'm happy with my stock mufflers. One could modify the T-section a bit, if one wished, but I doubt it's really worth stressing over as a one off job. You can have my CP_e 3" catback exhaust for a consideration, if you want to do a complete change, plus it mates up to the CP_e DP perfectly as well. I reckon its a better DP than the CS one as it is a single outlet and more compact unit. I didn't get any CEL's on installation either.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

6. Default

Thanks for the replies, Im have the same feelings as you Doug, not really to keen on a noisy exhaust and I guess for a loss of a few KW its best to stick with what we have go. So I guess if we want to do anything its going to be the downpipe.

You can save yourself a few dollars by re-using the std rear mufflers.

Having the DP done at a separate time won't cost the earth either.

I did a full TBE excluding the rear mufflers on Penguin740's car. It has a note under power, but very minimal at idle, if at all. It is a full 3" system with 1 cat and 1 resonator.

Last edited by 2XS; 01-06-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

8. Default

Ooh that mid section looks nice and was just like what I originally had in mind.
    I might just save my money and do the FMIC + Dump + Cat + Mid section all at once, depends on how much $$ I have left after my bathroom renovation

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I have the CP-E downpipe and a custom cat back installed on my 6. Fair enough if you want to wait for the warranty before putting in a downpipe as it may give you the typical turbo seal problems a lot of people seem to have (I have not experienced in mine...yet) I thought the standard 'Y' piece was a more like a curved 'T' piece and I felt it was a bit restrictive too. As Russell mentioned above the corksport exhaust is an option and a better flowing exhaust gas design. I opted to get a custom cat-back designed, fabricated and installed when I had the downpipe installed. Labour was all done in one hit to save me time, cash and hassle.

I can't comment too much about the standard mufflers being restrictive, but as a short answer I would say 'yes they are' IMO. The mufflers I have which are Super-cats are more of a straight through muffler, which, by rights, should deliver a better flow, thus additional performance. The amount of gains (if any at all) in comparison to the stock mufflers I honestly do not know, but that's just a personal opinion really. I've always thought the quieter the exhaust the harder it is for the exhaust gases to flow out, (being muffled).

In regards to exhaust note, it really depends on the individual really. Personally I'm not really a fan of a super quiet car. They're boring to drive, and does not really give you the passion of driving a sports car. In saying that, milo tin exhausts are annoying, loud, cheap and have 'hoon' labelled all over it. In conjuction with my two supercat mufflers I have 3" mandrel bend coated mild steel piping, one resonator located just after the DP, a second resonator located further down, which then split into the 'y' piece and into the two mufflers respectively.

The result (based on my set-up) is;
    - A 'beast' on cold start-up (2,000RPM)
    - Very quiet on warm idle.
    - Sound and performance under throttle,
    - Very quiet in the high gears cruising.
    - At one point I was getting about as much road noise at 100kmph than I was exhaust note.

If you find yourself attending a cruise (WA) or meet and I'm there I'll show you mine. Toddy also has a similar exhaust but was designed by another chap. His is a little more louder than mine. Hope that give you some idea. If you have any questions about the above let me know
    do you get much drone with your system?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    do you get much drone with your system?Thanks
    On cold start, yes. Very loud and a fair bit of drone (granted its idling at 2,000RPM though) But once warmed up and also cruising, no, not much drone at all. Typical beefy note exhaust but minimal drone due to the two resonators I had fitted. I used to have a catback exhaust with a cannon muffler on my pulsar, that had drone!!

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    You can save yourself a few dollars by re-using the std rear mufflers.

Having the DP done at a separate time won't cost the earth either.

I did a full TBE excluding the rear mufflers on Penguin740's car. It has a note under power, but very minimal at idle, if at all. It is a full 3" system with 1 cat and 1 resonator.

A little off topic but could you do a similar "y" piece on a GENII?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

12. Default

Thread is a bit old, but i thought i'd chime in about the CPe dual cat back exhaust system i got from MPS garage.

Start up - loud and deep, to the point where if you are in an enclosed area, your ears will hurt, and you will set off sensative car alarms - but i love the sound at start up, it travels right through you and you know the car is alive;
    Idle - relatively decent and quite, deep tone again - very pleasent;
    Crusing - drones, to the point where even my girlfriend ended up turning up the stereo to drown out the drone - i've since laid some dynamat and some shielding within the boot, and the noise is still quite dronie;
    WOT - very loud, head turning loud actually, to the point that if there were cops around, they would probably pull you over, so i haven't done WOT for a while now.

I don't have a dump pipe done yet, but apparently this only increases the loudness of the whole system.

I will probably have to spend some money on fitting a resonator/hot dog just after the stock CAT. I think the drone and the loudness is attributed to the muffler straight through design, but hopefully what i want to do will help with some of the droning.

Quality wise, the welds are good, the quality of the stainless is good as well. The only beef i have is those f**ken clamps and the slot design - install is not fun, getting all the pipes slotted in place, and unless you tighten the clamps with a rattle gun, you are going to get exhaust leaks - so i might at the same time as getting the extra resonator fitted, have the guys doing my exhaust work fit proper flanges where the clamps are so at least I can get a nice seal to the system.

Hey mate, most of the drone would be coming from the pipework in combination with the mufflers. Although stainless may look great it carries a lot of noise and resonance with it. I have a coated mild steel exhaust complete with two resonators. Drone is minimal - none in my car. Provided on cold start it sounds like a beast, can't help that. The different between a mild steel and stainless is...if you to grap a tool (spanner or something metal) hit the catback on the stainless you would hear a loud "ting" on the mild steel more of a "clack" hence where the sound and noise comes from. For stainless being more expensive I decided on a mild steel option. See how you go after fitting one or two resonators as that should help!

M P S

Contrary to popular opinion, the stock mufflers are not that restrictive. This was averred to by Genie who looked at mine when I was debating a revised setup and trialling the CP_e 3" SS arrangement. The DP is the biggest single improvement you can make to the exhaust. Genie also held that the 3" all the way through setup was, if anything, overkill. It's easy to do the sums on the relative cross sectional areas. 1 x 3" feeding into 2 x 2.5" or 2.75" is just fine.

Straight through mufflers such as the CP_e will be too noisy for civilized use, so I elected to stick with the existing ones. There is no difference in internal noise experienced when running at any road speeds, but a healthy note on-song to an observer, I am told. The mild cackle from a cold DP getting lots of rich fuel on first start of the day, but it settles down in 15 seconds to completely quiet.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Bumping this old thread.

I'm considering a similar setup to what has been discussed here - 3" Downpipe, 2.5" or 2.75" custom catback with 'Y' split and retaining stock mufflers.

I want to know what sort of difference i can expect from either going for a 2.5" or 2.75" mild steel catback. And would 2.75" somehow enhance gas flowing or improve the mating capabilities? (3" downpipe feeding into 2.75" catback into 2.5" stock mufflers)

I should add, I'm aiming for power gains but without the affects of droning. I've also heard that changing the downpipe would increase top end power, but you lose on bottom end. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for help in advance!
    Last edited by ppham; 03-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Keeping the stock mufflers is the smart way to do it. As Doug indicated, they are not restrictive and there is plenty of evidence about that.
    The system described by 2XS is the way to go. The key to getting the design right is how you approach the Y piece. I recommend doing the DP as well, then go with a matching 3 inch pipe to the rear diff and use a 15 degree merge collector with a pair of 2.25 inch mandrel bent pipes swinging around to the mufflers. I had a cpe DP installed a while ago, then after a long search I recently found a fabricator with the skill and equipment to make up the mid-pipe exactly as I described above. It only cost $420 for the mid-pipe in SS and the results are impressive. The DP and this mid-pipe work extremely well together. It's probably the most cost-effective mod I have done on the MPS.

Gone to Volvo

Hey kmh001. I've read some threads lately about exhaust options for the MPS6 and your name keeps comeing up on alot of them lol. Your comments are the main reason why I am going for the exhaust system stated above.

But there are no comments about the pipe size options for the catback, they only suggest a 2.5" or 2.75" will do the job. I want to know the reasons for this and what the gains and drawbacks (if any) for going a larger pipe, i.e 2.75" or 3". Maybe someone can explain the differences and benefits of 2.5" vs 2.75" vs 3" catback exhaust system.

And by going for difference pipe sizes, for example 3" DP to a 2.5" catback, would this cause any leaks (or any problems) in the connection? I'm getting the impression there would be a gap, so might leak due to size difference.

From my understanding, you have a full 3" system up til the 'Y' split (like Penguin's?). What are your reasons for the 3" piping on your current system? Did u add any resonators to the system? What are your experiences with this setup in terms with power gain, droning and scraping? My concern for the 3" pipe is scraping as I'm currently lowered.

I notice u have a VersaTune. I'm going for the same thing once i get my exhuast system figured out (last piece of the puzzle)
    Last edited by ppham; 03-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.

My reason for choosing 3 inch is because a respected engineer in the US tested a few configurations and proved that this one gives the best gains. If I remember correctly he also tested 2.5, 2.75 and 3.5". The 3" pipe works best and fits fine - my car is lowered. The stock mufflers are acoustically tuned to suit the car so there is no need to have power-robbing resonators and there is no drone.

This thread had made me want a new system... I already paid £440 for this bad workmanship:

Oh my god!
    How can people like that still be in business?
    I would be parking my car at the shop and showing every customer that came by until it was fixed. that's just shocking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast