User Tag List

Thread: Scratched My Car :(

Default Scratched My Car :(

As I was reversing out of my narrow as garage yesterday, minding my own business, the brick wall decided to move 10cm closer to my car and this is the result... It hurts me.
    So I thought I would get a quote asap to get it fixed up and I got it back just then.
    Can anyone shed some light on this quote for me. I have never had any repairs done before so I don't know if these guys r charging through the roof or not. I was expecting more like $250 max.
    I'm willing to spend it if this is an average price but farout..
    Devo'd.

Last edited by steviekfc; 31-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Just find a Mobile Touchup outfit..

they should be able to fix that up almost instantaneously for 100 bucks (well i know they do locally in New Zealand)

but yeah

AS ranton said.

A small mobile paint repairer will do that for less then half the cost and the work is normally great.

In newcastle there is a company called duco magic that does an ok job. Just have a look through the yellow pages.

Sucks Stevie...

My boss recently got his BMW repaired - similar kinda thing (the previous owner had swiped a pole in Sydney - hence my manager got $10k off the asking price!) His quote was $715...! That said tho, where he went, was where I had my car fixed (car park incident involving a lady-driver of a Ford) - and they do top work.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Sucks Stevie...

My boss recently got his BMW repaired - similar kinda thing (the previous owner had swiped a pole in Sydney - hence my manager got $10k off the asking price!) His quote was $715...! That said tho, where he went, was where I had my car fixed (car park incident involving a lady-driver of a Ford) - and they do top work.
    I'm wishing I had of gotten mine done with these guys Dan. A few of the guys there on Saturday were in agreement - not just me being anal, the colour match up and the runs in the clear coat definitely add up to a very average job!!

I was hit in a carpark Stevie, paid $330 for repair to the rear bumper. I guess my advice is to shop around, there are a lot of companies in business out there doing an average job!!!
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Blog Entries

As Leelu said double check the company and inspect the car when you pick it up with a fine tooth comb!!

I was one of the guys looking at her car and I hope the shop that did her work fix it cause they definitely need to clean up their act

Im a spraypainter....
    Please dont get a touchup guy to fix it
    Why do you think they can do it for $100?
    They paint the bloody thing outside, will use cheap shit quality clear, wont pull the bumper off the car, or even clear over the whole bar. They will just flick the clear out in the bar. You wont notice it now. but give it time.
    To be done properly it needs to be pulled apart so the clear can go around the edges and not flake off down the track.
    When you get your car serviced are you happy to use a cheap oil?
    Trust me and get it done at a panel shop.

That seems like a pretty reasonable quote if you want the job done right.

I want it done so no one would ever know it happened, even myself. As I am an absolute fanatic about my car and I literally cant sleep at night thinking about it haha...
    Its just crap because I popped one of my tyres last weekend half way to Newcastle in the flood-worthy rain.. not fun, so theres $400 for two front Archilles or something, (all I could get asap (I had a wedding to go to)) and had to pay for insurance today.. so all this has to happen all at once when I've had the damn car for over a year now. Awesome luck the last few days. p.s I should really be focusing on studying for my hectic Quantitative Analysis exam on Thursday for uni, and all I can think about it my poor little fender haha.
    Ok rant over,
    Thanks for the replies people I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by steviekfc; 31-05-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Yeah, that feeling sucks....
    I scratched the bottom of my door and sill panel the other week.
    And as much as you tell yourself its only a car, shit happens, and its gonna get fixed, it still sucks.
    I scratched it on a saturday night, i had it painted by lunch tuesday. ha.

Any idea how long they might want my car for cotn?

12. Default

yeh quote sounds good to me too my rear bumber when someone had reversed into it and left gouges was $500 cash and this is over two panels, so it sounds reasonable.

I think they had my car for 3 days

Good luck with the QA exam, I got HD's for QA and QM at uni

but yeh I totally understanding you just wanting it to go away and you cant stop thinking about it ... poor you
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Id say 3 days minimum.
    thats if they pull it apart and repair the guard + bar then primer it on day 1,
    Paint it on day 2.
    Back together, buff, wash car day 3.
    they rarely get worked on the moment they get dropped off though.
    Worst case itll be a week.

Its a tough call
    You have damaged 2 panels though
    SO the workshop will have to paint and blend both panels
    Would have been cheaper if it was 1 panel

Also bare in mind, if the paint is a dual or triple layer pearl expect it to cost more
    I found out a little while ago the velocity red on the Mazda 3 SP23 '05 is a dual layer pearl from factory
    Big bucks right their to get panels re-painted etc

^Its not a three layer pearl like the velocity red or the pearl white. Just colour then clear.
    I actually had to paint a 2010 SP25 pearl white today. full side/front and bar.
    Those colours are far more time consuming to paint.
    How'd you go with the repair Steviekfc???

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    I want it done so no one would ever know it happened, even myself. As I am an absolute fanatic about my car and I literally cant sleep at night thinking about it haha...
    Its just crap because I popped one of my tyres last weekend half way to Newcastle in the flood-worthy rain.. not fun, so theres $400 for two front Archilles or something, (all I could get asap (I had a wedding to go to)) and had to pay for insurance today.. so all this has to happen all at once when I've had the damn car for over a year now. Awesome luck the last few days. p.s I should really be focusing on studying for my hectic Quantitative Analysis exam on Thursday for uni, and all I can think about it my poor little fender haha.
    Ok rant over,
    Thanks for the replies people I really appreciate it.
    Dude I completely understand! My Mazda6 just had a minor mirror scratch yesterday (You can hardly see it!), and I am literally loosing it. Its just on my mind....did u try the dealer? Heading to the dealer on Monday to get an estimate for the repair!

Quote Originally Posted by RED3VIL View Post
    Its a tough call
    You have damaged 2 panels though
    SO the workshop will have to paint and blend both panels
    Would have been cheaper if it was 1 panel

Also bare in mind, if the paint is a dual or triple layer pearl expect it to cost more
    I found out a little while ago the velocity red on the Mazda 3 SP23 '05 is a dual layer pearl from factory
    Big bucks right their to get panels re-painted etc
    You're killing me with this whole "Velocity Red...dual layer...big bucks". I just had my car assessed for a "scratch to bare metal". Don't know the cost yet. It's killing me. But I would celebrate if it was $500 bucks, but sadly it's going to be thousands.

Best of luck with the fix mate. We all know your pain.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Looks reasonable to me if you want a decent job. Usually, half the effort in the job is labour to pull it all apart and get it back together. That's why an apparently small scratch to a casual observer comes out as a similar cost to a more obvious and larger scratch but which affects the same panel. You still have to remove the same kit, repair, clean up, prime, paint, clear coat and polish the same area, regardless of the seriousness or visual impact of the damage.

Went to Anderson's today. They took the mirror back housing off, and told me to come back in 2 days! My paint code is 40B, with a metallic finish, maybe thats why it will take so long. Ill take some pics when I get it back.

That quote looks about right if their painting both the bumper and fender.
    A panel usually costs $200 (at cheapest) or more. So if their painting two panels that quote looks right.