User Tag List

Thread: Streetunit Transmission and Driver's Side Engine Mount

Default Streetunit Transmission and Driver's Side Engine Mount

so i ordered the transmission and driver's side engine mounts because i had diagnosed the transmission mount as having failed

[rant]
    unfortunately due to streetunit not accepting credit card orders, i had to pay via transfer so it took just over 2 weeks for them to arrive via express delivery (12 days for funds to clear and order to be processed, 4 days transit time)

plus, i was charged $99US for shipping (the USPS label on the box suggested that the price USPS charged was $44US) because you can no longer email mark for a shipping quote and have to use automated shipping calculator
    [/rant]

installation:

anyway, the process of installing the mounts were quite easy, and shouldnt take more then 20 minutes for the driver's side mount, although the passenger side will take a bit longer, so allocate at least 80 minutes to do everything properly

the passenger side mount requires removal of the airbox/intake, battery and battery box/ecu to get access to the transmission mount cover and tran,ission mount (5x 17mm bolts and 2x 10mm bolts)

the drivers side mount only requires undoing the bolts holding the radiator coolant and brake fluid reseroirs to get access to the mount

impressions:

i have only done about 90kms on the mounts so far and there are a significant amount of vibrations, mind you, there is a break in period for the mounts, but i dont see it improving much since the rubber gromets on the transmission mount were only 2-3mm thick, and there were two pieces

points i just wanted to mention:
    - the dash above the glovebox rattles
    - the glovebox door rattles
    - the brake pedal vibrates
    - there is a buzz noise from the engine bay that is heard from inside the cabin unless the clutch is pushed in, at idle
    - rather than the engine moving on the mounts, all the force is transferred to the frame, so if you're not going out of your way to drive smoothly, then you will feel it
    - rattle coming from under the gear shifter
    - gear whine! especially in second gear
    - slightly beefier sound when starting up
    - front of the car feels a bit more planted on the road
    - puts the power to the ground a bit better

so pretty much, unless you are willing to live with all the negatives, then i dont think it is worth the minor gain from the mounts if you are using it for a daily driver

for me, i dont mind the vibrations or rattles, love the gear whine and slightly better power down, and the fact that i feel everything that i do has both its positives and negatives, especially the forward/backward rocking motion felt inside the cabin

i chose the street unit mounts because pt performance wanted an amount for delivery that was equivalent to the cost of the mount, and protege garage wasnt responding to my emails, otherwise i would have chosen an awr driver's side mount and ptp transmission mount

Last edited by kagerou; 30-05-2010 at 08:41 PM.

i think my drivers side mount as gone as gear chanigng feels rough, car feels rough at idle, steering column feels as though it is loose...do you recommend getting one of these mounts or another brand mount...i got a quote of 285 fitted for stock mazda one?not sure...dont really want vibrations at all but want sportier feel..
    thanks

hi

one way to test which mount that is broken is to have the car up on a hoist and use a metal bar and try to move the engine forward/backward/side to side around the location of the mount

if the engine moves, then that would suggest the mount is broken

unfortunately i dont have any experience with the mps6 mounts, but it appears as though you have a limited options in terms of brands, and all of them will add vibration, especially with the air conditioning on

best bet would be to find out exactly which mount needs to be replaced, and start looking into a suitable replacement

On a similar note changing the rear engine mount to after market whether it be the sports one or just the insert you will notice the same affects
    I went for the insert because the rattle etc isnt as harsh and my car is a daily
    WHat was the condition of the original mounts, have you have a chance to look at them now they have been removed ?

Quote Originally Posted by RED3VIL View Post
    On a similar note changing the rear engine mount to after market whether it be the sports one or just the insert you will notice the same affects
    I went for the insert because the rattle etc isnt as harsh and my car is a daily
    WHat was the condition of the original mounts, have you have a chance to look at them now they have been removed ?
    well i already had a cpe rear mount in there (the stiffer one rather than the softer one) which already added a bit of vibration, which i wasnt too concerned about, these two newer ones just added more

the original rear had torn, so i changed that to the cpe

and the two fronts look as though nothing is wrong with them at all, but there was some yellow dust/residue under the passenger side mount which probably suggested the fluid inside had leaked, if there was any

other than that, the rubber felt fine when you pressed into it, and there werent any tears

bumping this up, has the vibes settled much at all? It sounds like there is an increase in vibes, much more than I'd like. I've already got the CPE rear mount in the 60duro. I don't want any more vibes than that already gives me.

Hows the gear shifting too? That'd be my main reason to change to these mounts, but like it was mentioned, think the negatives might outweigh the postives..