User Tag List

Thread: Recoloured Factory Alloys.. What have you done with your Centre Caps?

Default Recoloured Factory Alloys.. What have you done with your Centre Caps?

To all of whom have Re Coloured their Factory MPS Wheels. (Any Colour for example)

What have you done with regards to your Centre Caps..

Did you leave them the Factory Gunmetal/Silver with the Chrome Flying M?

or did you colour them identical to the wheels..

I did start repainting mine to a Satin black as i now have texture black factory MPS Alloys

Painted centre caps gloss black like the wheels and left the flying M chrome

Thats choice Shakey.. I tried to MAsk the Flying M's up and replicate that.. but i failed...

so just did a complete black coat...

how long did it take to mask up the Flying M? (that is if thats what you did?)

I have mine painted satin black, similar to Shakes, just a satin finish.

I painted the whole centre cap and just used my fingernail to remove the black paint from the M in the centre cap. I let it sit overnight before I tried it. It took around 3 days to fully cure at ambient temp.

fair enough...

I ****ed up my Satin coat on one off the centre caps.. got pissed off with it and turfed it in to a bucket of acetone..

30 minutes later.. i was welcomed with a slight surprise...

So from this (the intended plan)

I have ended up with this... (albiet not complete will order four brand new ones tomorrow and leave them in acetone for a bit for a nice chrome finish)

neat, what do they look like on the rims

That's cool Anton, great result I actually cheated with mine and paid someone to paint the wheels, though from memory the Flying M in the centre cap on the 6MPS wheels is removable which is what the painters did, then stuck it back on. But I like your custom chrome finish centre caps

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    neat, what do they look like on the rims
    It was by pure dumb luck that acetone removed the metallicy coating.. im kinda stoked.. will put one on one of the wheels today and get a snap.. the idea is they should tie in pretty well with the chromed wheel nuts (factory)

if it looks ok with one of the test dummies i will buy a brand new set.... the test dummies are scuffed from me sanding them down..

Very nice dumb luck!

Maybe we could try this "dumb luck" with other mods????

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Very nice dumb luck!

Maybe we could try this "dumb luck" with other mods????
    Is that a insult or a complimetn lol?

i dunno i just lold..

You do realise that the chrome logo is just clipped in. I removed the chrome logo to paint my RX8 rims centre caps the same colour gunmetal grey as I painted the rims.

Still don't advise painting rims, professionally painted in 2 pack they chipped badly. Small gravel stones I believe, bouncing between spokes. Powder coating the only way to keep the wheels from chipping. Original rims don't chip anywhere near as bad as 2 pack painted rims.

It's still a good look.

These Centrecaps are a one peice Embossed Electroplated Plastic.. Unfortunately the M doesnt unclip on these particular ones.. (that would have made what i initially wanted to do far easier..

my wheels have been powdercoated with a Crinkle coat Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Is that a insult or a complimetn lol?

i dunno i just lold..
    compliment!

Mine aren't removable either.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Interesting about the non removable logo off the centre caps, All the wheels RX8, MPS6 and SP23 that I have are all removable mazda logo off the centre cap and the same fitment. I played swaps with the centre caps. According to Mazda Spare parts they are all the same for RX8, MPS6 and SP23. The MPS3 in the family had aftermarket wheels fitted so I can't comment on MPS3 centres.

I complimented the look, matches the wheel nuts, nice contrast to the dark wheel.

16. Default

Ranton, can you please post a side on pic of your car. I've got a Black gen 1, and would like too see what the painted wheels look like. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick J View Post
    Ranton, can you please post a side on pic of your car. I've got a Black gen 1, and would like too see what the painted wheels look like. Cheers
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...s-here-10.html <- they are in this thread.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    Interesting about the non removable logo off the centre caps, All the wheels RX8, MPS6 and SP23 that I have are all removable mazda logo off the centre cap and the same fitment. I played swaps with the centre caps. According to Mazda Spare parts they are all the same for RX8, MPS6 and SP23. The MPS3 in the family had aftermarket wheels fitted so I can't comment on MPS3 centres.

I complimented the look, matches the wheel nuts, nice contrast to the dark wheel.
    Hey RD..

went to mazda the other day to re order centre caps.. as the First set i had ruined the M part as i had sanded.. then i had discovered the Chrome Easter Egg so wanted a new set to start a clean slate

they bought the Centre caps in and they replacement ones they tried to sell me were as you guys described.. they must be the supersceeded part #... I turned them down and said they were the wrong ones.. and told them why i wanted the others .. the little indian fellow made a few calls.. and got me the last set of 4 in the country.. and said they arent bringing in that Part # any more
    So lucky me...

I have the part number in my work shop apparently they are still attainable ex Japan