User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Number Plate holder removed

Default Front Number Plate holder removed

Hi All, I ordered new slim line plates in an effort to reduce the "mole on nose" effect the number plate holder does to the front bumper.

Before I removed the number plate holder it seemed there were only 2 rivots that held it too the bumper.

Only after drilling out the rivots did i discover that there are 2 extra "guide plugs" that probably assist in placement while it's being fitted in the factory.

My plan was to mount the new slim line plates flat against the bumper with a downward facing angle, but as the 2 big holes are so high on the bumper I had to change plans and mount the plates higher so I can cover them. See Photos below.

The end result is better than it was, but still a bit bummed about the holes.

My question, to the trademan skilled in panel beating, can a workshop bog those holes and respray?

I know it's a fine detail and most people wouldn't care, but it's a car thing I guess.

Any advice welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 352.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	3940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 617.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	3941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 359.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	3942  
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Sorry I can't help with the panel beating side of things but I know what you mean about wanting flush plates - I've had number plate brackets fitted to mine. My sales guy fitted them with plate brackets that I purchased from Lakin Custom Plates, because the workshop boys couldn't be bothered taking the factory fitted bracket off. He had to slightly bend the plates and bracket to get it to sit right, I like it much better than the ugly factory fitted bracket!!

The idea with Lakin is they they custom make the plate to prevent having to drill holes in the car or the plates - mine were about $170 for the set. They didn't have brackets made up for the MPS until I enquired, so they found one in Tassy where they're located, they went out and measures it up for me. Really good service and the guy was super helpful.

Front Bracket - Mazda 3 MPS - 2009 - [Mazda 3 MPS - 09 - - F] - $82.50 : LAKIN Custom Plate Brackets, Add some CLASS to your car!

Here's how mine turned out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS 002 No Plate C&#.JPG 
Views:	479 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	3944

Name:	MPS 003 No Plate..jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	3943

Name:	MPS 005 No Plate..jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	3945
    Last edited by Leelu; 28-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Yeldarb, Yeah a panel shop could plastic weld the holes up easily.
    I actually pulled my plate off last week to have a look behind it cause the bit the number plate sits on looks shit!
    Think i might look into making some brackets. $170 seems way too steep.
    Although i had someone back into my car in the first few weeks i got it. And the crappy looking factory plate support did save my bumper getting damaged.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

just noticed you can buy the front bracket by it self for $82.
    Not so bad.....

You could go to a plastic repairers or bumper repairers and have them filled. Then you would need them resprayed anyway.

I will have a look at one tomorrow, maybe a bit cheaper to fab one up, than buy them elsewhere.

Hey Leelu, nice find, thanks for the website. I think I'll be tempted.

As for repair and respray, I hope they only need to spray the grey part. Won't be cheap, but thats the price you pay for perfection...

Yeah, they would only paint the grey.
    But by the time they remove bar, weld holes, primer/paint grey + refit bar. youd have to be looking at a few hundred minimum.

yeah, thinking maybe I should just get over it...save the money for the DP.

You wont regret doing the DP. I havent....

9. Default

I had the touch up guys do the same job to my EM1 few years back, look for a guy name adam (if his still franchising that is and if you live within his vicinity hehe), always does a top job.. looked great unless your super fussy you will see the bog a tinnie bit, but never showed in photo shoots.. worth it..!

Oh damn! I didn't know there was so many holes for the numberplate holder :S I just ordered a towplate from the US so i can move my plate to the side for extra JDM look But now those holes are gonna annoy the crap outta me... Is there anything we can buy to plug it up for the time being??

I feel your pain mate. My heart sank when I saw those holes. In the end I made something work and I think it looks ok. But as a few have mentioned here you'll need someone to weld and paint those suckers. Perfection is a bitch!!!

Question - with the older model MPS 06 shape when you take off the plate brackets is there holes also?? i was thinking of taking mine off also

Troy you definitely need to fab one up! The factory holder is dumb!

This is great - i'd like to do mine, now just to bend the number plate back into shape lol !

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend64 View Post
    Troy you definitely need to fab one up! The factory holder is dumb!
    I agree. The factory unit is balls. Like Leelu's post above, I went with the Lakin option. Sooo much better
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I discovered the nut had fallen off the back of one side of my plate holder the other day, took the whole thing off and went to Bunnings to get a couple more nuts and bolts to fix it. Not sure where the dealer that fitted them got theirs from, but I couldn't get the same size, had to get slightly smaller.

Do you normally have to remove the guard thingy underneath to fit them? I managed to do mine by squeezing my hand through the grill and using a mini spanner. Not sure if that was the right technique but it worked

I do love these Lakin brackets, we've told Postie that this has to be his next mod .

Sent from my iPhone by LeeTapatalk =P
    Last edited by Leelu; 05-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Do you mean it fell off the back of the Lakin bracket Linda?

Weird, mine came with plastic threaded clips that you push into the holes left by the original bracket in the bumper (you have to re-drill the holes a couple of mm wider to push-fit the clips) The Lakin bracket then screwed directly into those. No reaching through the bumper required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing this mod at Easter.

Gen 1 can be removed and the number plate fitted directly to the front bar.

Gen 2, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Do you mean it fell off the back of the Lakin bracket Linda?

Weird, mine came with plastic threaded clips that you push into the holes left by the original bracket in the bumper (you have to re-drill the holes a couple of mm wider to push-fit the clips) The Lakin bracket then screwed directly into those. No reaching through the bumper required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah Dan, the nut fell off the back of the bolt/screw that they used. Dealer obviously didn't fit them the way they were supposed to, would have probably done a better job myself!!! It looks fine from the front but doesn't have the clips you've described. I guess it's a good thing i've got little hands, well smaller than yours I'm assuming .

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    Yeah Dan, the nut fell off the back of the bolt/screw that they used. Dealer obviously didn't fit them the way they were supposed to, would have probably done a better job myself!!! It looks fine from the front but doesn't have the clips you've described.
    Hmmm, they must have changed the clip design between when they did your initial one and when I bought mine. Maybe contact Lakin and see if Philip can send some out to you. I'm sure he would. Might be better in the long run otherwise without some locktite or something on them it'll probably happen again down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    I guess it's a good thing i've got little hands, well smaller than yours I'm assuming .
    Yeah, well..... my wife, rather charitably, calls them "man hands". I liken them more to Homer's stubby fingers myself
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast