User Tag List

Thread: Wheels and Tyres, Whats Doing????

1. Default Wheels and Tyres, Whats Doing????

Hey guys, newby MPS 6 owner here,

Just bought the car and its sitting on 20's 235/30 tyres.

Its bling and looks cool but im looking to up my comfort its a bit bumpy but i still want to mix it with a bit of style and control/handling!

Any suggestions im a little bit stumped!

Thanks

id stick to the stock size 18's but go an 8 inch wide rim...can pick up tyres cheaper and more sizes.

3. Default

Welcome Stevo congrats on getting yourself an MPS6

I agree with Stealth, go 18x8 with 235/40/18 tyres probably the minimum offset you would want to avoid scrubbing would be +48, you could put +45 on but will get slight scrubbing on the rears when carrying ppl, sharp bumps etc.

Not sure what your styling preference are but alot of the 6 guys put RX8 rims on them which are 50 offset, so if you like a stock looking 5 spoke rim, its a good choice. Not sure where you are from but a guy in ACT is selling a set of RX8 rims at the moment, check out for sale section.

Welcome
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Hello and welcome to OzMPSclub mate

First of all, congratulation on purchasing a fantastic vehicle, its early days but have you got any mods planned? Post up some pics of her with the 20's on for all to see too.

With regards to your question, the first thing I would ask is what suspension set-up are you running at the moment? Just to get an idea an address your problem correctly. I'm assuming that with 20" RIMS, your car would most probably be lowered with either a spring set-up or coilovers. Lowering a vehicle will always tend to make the ride more bumpy, but the gains you get from it (flat cornering, advanced handling) far out weighs the slightly bumpier ride in my opinion. Keep in mind, the lower you go, the more stiff, rigid and bumpy its going to be. Get back to us and let us know what suspension you've got to get an idea on your options.

In addition to suspension, tyre selection and profile sizes also has a lot to do with a bumpy ride. In my opinion, 20" RIMS look stunning on a VE Commodore but on a MPS I'm not so keen. It tends to look a little large in comparison to the vehicle itself. Check the profile on your tyres and I'm sure you will find it will be very low due to such a big RIM. This intern means you need to maintain a high tyre pressure, and having hard tyres means a bumpy ride. Basically it comes down to suspension set-up (how low/stiff) and tyre and RIM selection that would be giving you a bumpy ride as such.

I'll put it out there...as a suggestion, as Chris and Mel suggested above you could go with the stock or aftermarket 18" which will help your issue (having a 45 or 40 profile) or if you still desire a larger RIM, a set of 19" will look the part and give you the best outcome between the two 18-20" choices. Just for some info, I have the stock RIMS and in a couple of days I'll be getting them black with red callipers behind. It still looks agressive and also probably cheaper as far as maintenance goes and tyre replacement

As I read your comment - "Its bling and looks cool but im looking to up my comfort its a bit bumpy but i still want to mix it with a bit of style and control/handling!" If you got time on your hands have a read of the link below to get a better idea of suspension set-up.

Hope that helps you...So, I'll check back to see your post of some images of your ride.....

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...ry-basics.html

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers