User Tag List

Thread: recommendation on product to clean intake manifold - mps6

Default recommendation on product to clean intake manifold - mps6

I will be uninstalling the intake manifold over the weekend to install my OCC kit.
    I was wondering what clean solution would be suitable to clean the internals of the intake manifold, but also the intake ports and (maybe) some internal cleaning work....
    thanks in advance.

carby cleaner will work.

subaru has a product called subaru upper engine cleaner that you sray into the intake and let sit for a while then kick it over and spray the other half of the bottle in. Works great on wrx's not sure about the use on a mazda. this stuff is to be used whilst the car is all together.

good luck

yeah bugger taking the manifold off for an OCC install..

just reuse the hose off the PCV valve.. and stock a 5/8" barb in the other end (that use to go to the manifold) and run your OCC hose from there..

Doc

If you really have to take it off, use a CRC carby cleaner to spray inside. I use it on all parts of my boat induction system and it removes all the petrol-related gunk and dust stains easily.

Well, after 5 hours (2.5 yesterday and 2.5 hours today) intake, throttle body are clean and occ are finally in.

tried to get the manifold off last night, but couldn't budge the thing, despite having all the bolts off. I did manage to get cleaner inside the pendulum last night, got alot of gunk out.

occ install today was....un-pleasant. to say the least. Hands are all cut up, but the thing is in.

Lets just say the instructions supplied in the kit I bought wasn't too clear about the tight clearances,

Might make a mental note to self, dont do this mod lol.

Are you sure you got all the manifold bolts off? There's one hiding under the power steering pump, which requires the pump to be removed before the manifold.

Shame you didn't get the manifold off. I was keen to know what condition the inlet valves were in.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    I would recommend the OCC to anyone with a DI motor.

Post injection cleanes the gunk off your valves..
    DI ..the fuel never sees the valves.. and hence the oil gunk from the PCV just makes a mess of your pretty new valves..

Yep every one, including the one behind the p/s pump, the bolt holding the dipstick and the erg one too - every single one. The manifold just wouldn't budge, up, down or side to side. Will have to find another method of doing the valve clean (seaform/suby cleaner) before my next oil change I think.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    it wasnt that hard, i had it done in under 90 minutes and i was going over everything very slowly

and this was the pae saikou michi kit

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    Will have to find another method of doing the valve clean (seaform/suby cleaner) before my next oil change I think.
    i used the upper engine cleaner made by wurth, and just sprayed it down the vacuum line of the by pass valve, because its easier than using the vacuum line for the brakes

although next time i will be using the subaru one because the wurth cost $35 which is almost double the price, but same quantity

11. Default

well i bought the UEC from Subaru - sprayed it in per instructions, but instead used the 2nd vacuum line that goes into the intake. I ended up putting an alternate rubber tube in the line tip, and just sprayed it in...

car runs better now....cold starts in the morning are alot better - no more slight splutter....so i'm glad i did the clean. Subaru in Mentone sold me the can for approx. $19.

have to wait a bit longer to see what's collected in the catch can...should be interesting.