User Tag List

Thread: MPS3 Oil Consumption

Default MPS3 Oil Consumption

hi all,

my fiance's MPS3 seems to be using oil. Now its a 2008 model still under warranty, currently got 42,000kms on it - last service was done at 40,300kms (so only 1700kms) - since then the dip stick is showing the oil level at MIN - I'm guessing thats a couple of litres of oil that needs to be topped up? Even so, it shouldnt have used this much oil since the last service?

Reading through the forums I was thinking maybe the turbo seals but I can't see any smoke on idle or driving at all, except when I give the car a squirt which as far as I can tell is dark (rich) smoke....

The car is stock standard, no mods whatsoever. I'm thinking it could be the turbo seals still however with a standard exhaust and all the cats there, it might be masking/hiding the smoking problem?

Either way I'll be going into Mazda with my fiance tomorrow morning first thing. About 7,000kms ago the car had a warranty job done with the VCT actuator needing to be replaced, just before this she had the same low oil level problem aswell and they just topped it up and said it was normal that MPS use oil - apparently they had to top it up 3 or 4 liters ?! wtf I own an evo and have friends with evos, rx7's, sti's etc and have never had a car use THAT much oil regardless of how theyve driven the car....

any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

This is going to sound silly...but did you check the oil level immediately after the service? It's possible it wasn't filled up properly...difference between MIN and MAX is generally less than a litre or so.

unfortunately no, i didn't get a chance to check it straight after they did the service until now (when we washed the car and i popped the hood)... will speak to them and see what they say and will remind myself to check the next time the service is done which wont be for a while tho :/

but that thought did cross my mind aswell tho so we'll see :/

I'd top it up to the MAX marker on the dipstick (careful not to overfill! ) and just monitor it until the 50k service, doubt it would be using much oil. A little maybe. Mine is a little older and will go from MAX to a 1/3 down the MAX/MIN area between services.

Lucky it's not an Alfa! The 147's use a litre every 5000km or so!