User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CPE 60duro rear engine mount installed (rough install guide and impressions)

Default CPE 60duro rear engine mount installed (rough install guide and impressions) - UPDATE

So, after owning the car for 2 weeks, my first mod has been completed. Ordered the mount from MPS Garage on Monday and received in on Wednesday.

I chose the 60duro over the 75 as I didnt want to increase NVH. I bought the mount cause I thought the stock mount was stuffed as it felt like the engine was bucking. Pulled the stock one out and it was in perfect condition. It just goes to show (for me anyway) how soft the stock one is.

First impressions

This is what it should have felt from stock. The engine actually moves with the chassis in harmony and feels secured, improved greatly compared to the sloppy, doughy feeling it had before. The engine revs 'smoother' and you will feel the engine rev. Gear changes are very clear and crisp. I had trouble shifting between 2 and 3 (down or up) even when rev matching downshift, the engine would jerk. This is all alleviated now.

Vibrations. There is a little bit of vibes at idle and as you take off. The vibes do increase with the a/c on at idle. But as everyone has mentioned these will settle down as the mount wears in. I will provide another update probably in 5000km to see how its settled. As such I won't comment on this aspect into too much detail just yet.

Second impressions - Important See Third Impressions below

Ok, so I've done a few KM's since the install and here's what I have found. Nothing has really changed since my first impressions above, but more confirming this is what it feels like after it's settled.

- Idle without A/C minimal vibes
    - Idle with A/C small amount of vibes, most noticible on takeoff
    - Accelerating RPM below 3.5k small vibes
    - Accelerating RPM past 3.5k moderate vibes, engine noise increases with RPM. Can get quite loud past 5k esp when decelerating.

If your susceptible to vibrations or want NO vibrations, then dont get this. The vibrations are not bad at all, they dont rattle anything. They were nothing like my friends solid mounts... Also the engine noise resonates a lot more inconjunction with the vibes. If you want absolute tranquility, then dont get this.

If you can handle a little bit of elevated NVH, then its well worth the investment for the performance. However, I do still get axel tramp with this installed. I'm also getting a creaking/knocking sound which I can't pinpoint at this stage. Might need to tighten the bolts a bit more.

Third impressions

So the creaking sound I kept getting from what I hoped was the engine was found to be true. I loosened all the bolts (adapter plate and engine mount) to re tighten them however, this time armed with a good torque wrench. I torqued the adapter plate bolts first to 110nm and then tightened the bolt 1 (pic below) then bolt 2 of the engine mount, both to 110nm. The sequencing of tightening is outlined in the service manual which I actually didn't have nor used before (not too sure how I tightened them last time).

The difference? No more creaks!!! what else, the vibes has reduced even further as the mount seems to be doing its job more efficiently and as intended. The solid feeling has not changed either. Before the bolts were over tightened and hence the bolts themselfs were transmitting the vibes more than they should

So to update my impressions:

- Idle without A/C very minimal vibes, almost stock
    - Idle with A/C minimal amount of vibes, most noticible on takeoff
    - Accelerating RPM below 3.5k minimal vibes
    - Accelerating RPM past 3.5k small amount of vibes, engine noise increases with RPM. Can get moderately loud past 5.5k esp when decelerating.

After re-torqueing the bolts, daily driving almost feels like stock. You notice the vibes mostly during spirited driving only

Rough install guide

Difficulty: Easy

Time: about 45mins-1hr if all goes smoothly

Tools needed: jack & car stands or ramps, wheel chocks, 17 & 19mm sockets, ratchet, 19mm spanner or shifter, breaker bar, TORQUE WRENCH and lastly beer

1. Jack the car up or as I did buy some ramps. If using a jack, use car stands as well. Chock up the rear wheels.
    2. Undo bolts 3,4 & 5 (19mm) on the adapter plate. These were on VERY tight and took a while to get them undone. breaker bar essential
    3. Undo bolts 1 & 2 (17mm). Once all 5 bolts are undone, the engine mount and the adapter plate will come out easily
    4. When installed, the various spacers, washers etc will look like the 2nd picture below. CPE instructed to have their logo facing downwards (facing the ground).
    5. Loosely install the mount and adapter plate with all bolts finger tight. You will most likely be unable to put bolt 1 back in as its not aligned. As shown in the 1st picture, I tightened bolt 5 to be able to push the engine forward with the ratchet. The engine moves quite easily.
    6. Bolt 2 which was 17mm for the stock mount is now 19mm.
    7. Tighten in the following order! Tighten the adapter plate bolts first to about approx 110nm
    8. Tighten bolt 1 to approx 110nm
    9. Tighten bolt 2 to approx 110nm

The torque to the bolts is the upper range of the specified torque figures outlined in the service manual, and is what works for me. As mentioned in my third impressions, over tightening them may cause issues
    All done. It took me about a 1hr as I tried to wriggle the mount out without taking the adapter plate off cause I couldnt crack the bolts. In the end it was nessessary to get that plate off and was a sigh of relief when the bolts cracked. Nearly rounded one of them in the process....

Save yourself the trouble and put all your effort in removing the adapter plate

Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by lup15; 28-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.

black ones are 75 duro..

blue ones are 60

unless its changed

nice how to though

wasn't it that blue colour for the first batch which they had issues and now the new ones are black? Dunno, asked for 60duro which i assume is what i got.

can anyone else confirm?

Yeah, 60 duro is black now.

I got one for my old SP23 and it was black.

Moved to How to Forum (better suited there)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Yeah, 60 duro is black now.

I got one for my old SP23 and it was black.
    Cool.. sorry about the misinformation

I would strongly recommend that you re-torque everything with a torque wrench (if you can get your hands on one), this will help prevent some of the vibration associated with after-market mounts, and will ensure the life of the rubber insert, also the tightening sequence of the bolts is critical too.

Blog Entries

SWEET!!! Got my engine mount coming so this is helpful

Im about to install one of these mounts myself, just curious as to what exactly the tightening sequence is??

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I would strongly recommend that you re-torque everything with a torque wrench (if you can get your hands on one), this will help prevent some of the vibration associated with after-market mounts, and will ensure the life of the rubber insert, also the tightening sequence of the bolts is critical too.

The instructions should detail the required torque and sequence, let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and find my instructions and let you know.

Can I also recommend you get the the 75 duro over the 60.
    Last edited by MattMPS3; 22-05-2010 at 06:33 AM.

yeh ok, i shall suss out the destructions i was given, and even tho ive already actually got my mount, a 60 duro, how much difference does the 75 make over the 60, especially compared to the stock mount??
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    The instructions should detail the required torque and sequence, let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and find my instructions and let you know.

Can I also recommend you get the the 75 duro over the 60.

No worries, if you've already got the 60 it will still be a big improvement over stock, the 75 is just a little firmer again, looking forward to your thoughts once you get it installed.

installed the mount this arvo, huge improvement over the stock mount, noticed more vibration through the car at idle, but is still fairly smooth throughout the rev range, im lovin the gear changes!! they're alot sharper and more of a positive feel to gear shifts, u can definitly feel how much more "connected" the engine is to the car, pretty happy with this minor mod overall! money well spent!!

the vibes will dampen in a few hundred k's cainage. Great decision to do the mod. I havent looked back since I did mine 5 months ago.

Blog Entries

Just got my mount in my hot little hands can't wait to install it!!

Hello all

Thinking of getting myself a 60 duro mount as I just installed the JBR short shift plate and the gears are even more tricky than usual.
    Sounds like a great mod and the 60 should allow a little spring as allot of my driving is on bumpy roads or even dirt.

Just wondering if anyone has had any warranty issues with having a mount installed? I’m assuming it would not affect anything else so much as to void warranty, but car in only 6 months old, so I’m cautious.

Any advice would be great
    Cheers

Hi Lachlan,

The mod should help I reckon. With warranties, its really a touch and go. I can depend on the different dealers...as some of the members here can testify they can go to one and not get their warranty recognised because of some mods but another dealer will be happy to do it. It can help to know where you are from and then members from those areas will be able to help you

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Hi Lachlan,

The mod should help I reckon. With warranties, its really a touch and go. I can depend on the different dealers...as some of the members here can testify they can go to one and not get their warranty recognised because of some mods but another dealer will be happy to do it. It can help to know where you are from and then members from those areas will be able to help you

Hope that helps
    Thanks mech

I live near the ACT so there are 2 mazda dealerships i think. Ill just see if they make a point of my shift plate at next service and take it from there. I've become a regular at the warranty service section so i hope they don't hate me too much yet.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
    If anyone has experience with dealerships in the ACT, please do share
    Last edited by Lachlan; 17-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Hi Lachlan,

I took my car in for a service after changing the mount. The dealer I go to in Brisbane didn't say anything about it. They actually tightened the bolts for me lol.

I've updated my original post with further impressions after doing a few more km

Lachlan,
    My car has a CPE mount and custom Down pipe.....
    It has been in for warranty work 3 times. they never mentioned either of them. As the problem had nothing to do with either of those mods.
    Youll be fine with the mount mate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast