User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the MAF & IAT sensors

Default Cleaning the MAF & IAT sensors

Cleaning the MAF & IAT sensors

Disclaimer: If you're not confident in your abilities do not attempt to do this. This guide is provided for information purposes only and any action you take as a result of reading this guide is at your own risk.

Note - This guide uses a Mazda6 MPS as the example vehicle.

Background

MAF (Mass Air-Flow) Sensor - The MAF's function is to measure the quantity of air being drawn through the intake, so that the vehicles ECU can calculate the required fuel necessary for combustion within the engine

IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor - Operates alongside the MAF, determining the temperature of the intake air which influences the combustion characteristic of the air.

These sensors sit in the air stream of the vehicles intake, after the filter. Filters are unable to remove 100% of the particulate matter from the air and fine particles can lodge themselves onto the surface of the sensors, causing them to become less accurate and can cause a reduction in performance, efficiency, reduce throttle response and potentially cause erratic idle.

Cleaning these sensors can give your car a new lease on life, by removing the buildup of dirt, the sensors can function properly and the cars performance, efficiency, throttle response can be improved.

Equipment

Phillips Head Screw Driver
    * Can of electrical cleaner
    * 10mm socket wrench/spanner
    * Old towel to cover the negative terminal

Instructions

* Disconnect the batteries negative terminal using the wrench/spanner, cover the terminal with a cloth/rag so that it doesn't touch any metal surface (precautionary manoevre) Note: disconnecting the battery will reset the radio/clock

* Locate the MAF sensor on the airbox/CAI/SRI, it is prominently located ontop of the filter box or intake as below:

* Disconnect the plug from the MAF

* Remove the screws from the MAF (placing the screws in a safe place) and remove the MAF from the airbox/CAI/SRI

* Identify the MAF/IAT sensors

*note how dirty the IAT Sensor is

*note the fine wires

The IAT is the tear shaped bulb at the end of the MAF, it should be an amber colour (unless its completely filthy), it is most likely one side will be dirty, this being the intake side of the sensor. The MAF sensors are located inside the housing, if you look up into the MAF, you should be able to see a series of small wires running parallel to one another, this is the MAF sensor.
    Extreme caution must be taken not to damage these sensors (particularly the MAF), moving the sensor will damage it and a new sensor will be required in the event they are damaged, which could cost ~$200

* Invert the MAF and insert the nozzle taking caution not to touch the wires inside. Spray inside the housing for a few moments, allow the excess liquid out, then spray again. Allow to dry for a few minutes, the repeat to ensure the MAF is clean.

* Spray the IAT, ensuring both sides are cleaned, repeat until there is no visible buildup

* Allow the sensors to dry before replacing the MAF into the intake/CAI/SRI, and reconnect the plug

* Once the MAF has been replaced and plugged in, re-attach the battery cable.

------------------

Dan's notes: This is a pretty simple process, it only took me 15-20 mins on mine. Just be very careful when spraying the wires with contact cleaner. DON'T physically touch the wires inside the housing!! otherwise you're in for a world of pain and wallet hurt.

Credit to Mazda6ex from OMC for this informative guide

nice work dan was going to say you should post this. doing mine tomorrow will let you know how it goes

Blog Entries

When I did this a few weeks ago I got a CEL. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it made it go away...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    When I did this a few weeks ago I got a CEL. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it made it go away...
    Even easier if you have a Dashhawk.. you can see what the CEL is and its description, and then clear it via the touch of a button.. Last CEL i had was when washing the car, accidently filled up the exhaust with too much water and it told me my CATs were not at an efficient temp.. crikey these cars are complex....

Great read btw, I cleaned mine last weekend and noticed idle has improved considerably. I recommend doing an ECU reset after this so the ECU can re-aquaint itself with a freshly cleaned sensor

This a 2 minute job that seems to make a difference. If you get a CEL it will go after about 5 mins of driving.

well cleaned the maf thingy and the k&n today work a treat. the power seems to come on better now and runs alot smoother. got a can of CRC MAF cleaner $25 worked awesome.

thank again DAN the man

Im not confident in doing it myself since im new to all this car stuff.

If anyone is doing it in the future give me a shout and I would love to come over and learn.
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    btw how often is this procedure recommended?
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 10-01-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Double post merged

mate - 2 screws - I'm a monkey with 10 thumbs and I can do it...

9. Default

monkey see, monkey do... crikey a 2 yr old could do it.. and then swallow the screws.... ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Im not confident in doing it myself since im new to all this car stuff.

If anyone is doing it in the future give me a shout and I would love to come over and learn.
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    btw how often is this procedure recommended?
    come over i will do it for you..
    do it when u change or clean your air filter
    Last edited by plop; 10-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries

good write up Dan, had to do this a while ago when my intake started to leak and let in a stack of dirty air and thus dirt which coated the MAF sensor, car started running 20L/100kms just around town haha not good for a neo :P

For all you people with very new cars (under 10000km) it shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't go cleaning it just because you can...

If you regularly get dealer servicing and you think it might be a prob get them to look at it/do it next service if it's not that far away.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this. I did this last night and i must say after over 54000klms it feels like a rocket again.

Thanks heaps

Damo

Thanks Dan, great instructions, easy as, did this today and my beast feels quick again

Heres a pic of my AFM, MAF sensor -

Other side i believe was very black, couldnt see the amber colour when sunlight shining on it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9122154.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1253  

Give the carby cleaner a go on O2 sensor aswell

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Give the carby cleaner a go on O2 sensor aswell
    Never heard of that one, interesting.

So here are my results...

Before and After Pics below-
    So my car has done 58,000kms and it was very dirty!

My tools consisted of MAF Cleaner (same as CO Cleaner, just a tad cheaper actually) and a whisky and coke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9142186.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	1257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9142181.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9142187.jpg 
Views:	1920 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1259  

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

I cleaned mine on friday and pull maf out this arvo just to inspect it, after one tank of fuel it was dusted again.
    Cleaning the o2 sensor wont do anything spectacular but its worth a look some times just to see whats covering it.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I wonder if the cars with after market cold air intakes are affected as much? Anyone?
    The standed setup picking up in the wheel arch is a nice dusty spot!

I know mine gets dirtier with the SRI setup, both with a dry filter (AEM) and oiled (K&N). That's the price you pay for a little more grunt and some woosh noise

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I cleaned mine on friday and pull maf out this arvo just to inspect it, after one tank of fuel it was dusted again.
    Cleaning the o2 sensor wont do anything spectacular but its worth a look some times just to see whats covering it.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I wonder if the cars with after market cold air intakes are affected as much? Anyone?
    The standed setup picking up in the wheel arch is a nice dusty spot!
    Ohok, hmmm, did the maf sensor go back to just as bad black dusted??? Or was it still better than before you cleaned it originally?

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast