User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the MAF & IAT sensors

When I first cleaned the sensor the car was going well, no rough idle, take off was smooth but after 500k's that little kick started to come back in under load so, I pulled the maf sensor out again and it was dusted. car was still going heaps better. The car still isn't as strong as it was 40000k ago when it was new.
    The reason I checked the 02 sensor because the car felt like it had stuffed cats, the car was back fired every now and then because of bov being vented and thought the fueling may have had something to do with my problem. O2 sensor appears ok nothing out of the ordinary, no oil and normal colour. just cleaned some carbon off it.
    When bought the car new it just had so much rolling tourqe from down low! It used to make my girlfriend want to throw up! The car played up a treat one year on the way to coffs bad! couldn't rev 3rd gear out past 4ooo! I thought I got shit fuel, so I pulled the HPFP off and checked its guts and changed the little strainer, fuel pressures great, was car parts everywhere in my shed! checked heaps of stuff. mazda said car was fine! I had trouble getting specs for the car so I got the shits and just drove my vs around...sad story. lol

Just another thing I found people! there is another sensor in the intake manifold near the dip stick, its the map sensor which also has another temp sensor looking thing on it! I pulled mine out just to check and guess what... its right next to crank case breather inlet so the sensor gets choca's with oil! I mean coated! I cleaned it obviously but this could be another little thing that causes similar problems as the afm. cant tell you if it made a difference yet motor is still on the shed floor

Just read this thread. Had the car for 2 years and a bit now. Never checked the MAF sensor. Running a CPE CAI. 35k kms on the clock. You think it would be worth a shot checking it out?

Mate if mine can look dirty after several weeks I'd say it worth having a look.

Will check it out on the weekend and hope i don't ruin it.

Just take your time and follow the instructions above. It's not difficult. Make sure that nothing but the spray comes into physical contact with the MAF sensor and the IAT bulb and you wont ruin anything.

And DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, drop your two tiny MAF sensor retaining screws into the MAF housing / turbo intake pipe; it's not so bad in stock setup as you can undo the rubber concertina intake pipe, but if you have some of the alloy or SS CAI's and CAI_FMIC setups, the screws can disappear real fast, even rolling close to or into the turbo intake, requiring a complete and careful dismantling to retrieve. As soon as your MAF sensor is out, carefully stuff a clean rag into the housing hole, shaking and inspecting the cloth to make sure there is no dirt, blobs of hardened glue or other parts entrained in the folds, or better, tape it over with good strong cloth reinforced gaffer tape that doesn't fall into pieces while you're off cleaning the sensor, or tinkering with other stuff. Then make sure you get it all back before refitting the MAF. Swallowing any hard metal bit or even a leaf or small twig that blows off the trees in your yard, or insect, can be a real headache.

You are a surgeon operating on the lungs of your car! Be hygienic!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Hi Doug, I am curious about your "Top-mount K&N filter under OEM Bonnet Ram CAI". I have googled that item description but had no luck. Could you please tell me more about it, in particular where I could source it.

Thanks,

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Red View Post
    Hi Doug, I am curious about your "Top-mount K&N filter under OEM Bonnet Ram CAI". I have googled that item description but had no luck. Could you please tell me more about it, in particular where I could source it.

Thanks,

Leon
    Bit off topic - Prob best for PM - however, ask and thou shall receive..

http://mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product...induction.html
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Thanks you Jmac, much appreciated.

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Never heard of that one, interesting.

So here are my results...

Before and After Pics below-
    So my car has done 58,000kms and it was very dirty!

My tools consisted of MAF Cleaner (same as CO Cleaner, just a tad cheaper actually) and a whisky and coke
    I did this a couple of days ago and my "after" was just as amber as your "before". And that was after I sprayed at least half a can of CO Contact Cleaner. Even tried part filling a small plastic tub with the cleaner and soaking the sensor in it. Still just as discoloured afterward. Wondering if this MAF Cleaner is going to do a better job than the CO Contact Cleaner? My car has 68,000 K on it and I assume it hasnt been done before.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why mine wont come clean?

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    And DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, drop your two tiny MAF sensor retaining screws into the MAF housing / turbo intake pipe
    or into the engine bay like yours truly did yesterday.
    Bloody things disappear real quick............

I did this a couple of days ago and my "after" was just as amber as your "before". And that was after I sprayed at least half a can of CO Contact Cleaner. Even tried part filling a small plastic tub with the cleaner and soaking the sensor in it. Still just as discoloured afterward. Wondering if this MAF Cleaner is going to do a better job than the CO Contact Cleaner? My car has 68,000 K on it and I assume it hasnt been done before.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why mine wont come clean?

Leon
    Wow, thats odd.

Faulty CO CLEANER ??? (just a stupid suggestion)

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Wow, thats odd.

Faulty CO CLEANER ??? (just a stupid suggestion)

Mate there's no such thing as a stupid question and thanks for taking the time to respond. Beats me, it was a new can of CO Cleaner. Lost here as to why mine wouldnt come clean. When I get a chance I will chase up a can of MAF cleaner and see if that does it any better. (I am assuming there IS a product that goes by the name "MAF Cleaner"?.... anybody??

Thanks,

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

Mate there's no such thing as a stupid question and thanks for taking the time to respond. Beats me, it was a new can of CO Cleaner. Lost here as to why mine wouldnt come clean. When I get a chance I will chase up a can of MAF cleaner and see if that does it any better. (I am assuming there IS a product that goes by the name "MAF Cleaner"?.... anybody??

Thanks,

Leon

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Thanks nissanman, that's the one I will look for.

Leon

Thanks nissanman, that's the one I will look for.

Leon
    its sold at repco. I rang the west ryde office and they have 2 cans in stock, will probably pick them both up this saturday

Quick note guys and girls when your buying your contact cleaner the better cleaner's not need to be wiped off, you want a cleaner that is a dry-off style.

So you spray it on the MAF hold up and wash dirt etc drip off.

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Quick note guys and girls when your buying your contact cleaner the better cleaner's not need to be wiped off, you want a cleaner that is a dry-off style.

So you spray it on the MAF hold up and wash dirt etc drip off.
    Spot on, the above cleaner is like how LILZLR explained

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    its sold at repco. I rang the west ryde office and they have 2 cans in stock, will probably pick them both up this saturday
    $21 a can from memory...or thereabouts?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast