User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How long did your original Bridgestone RE050s last?

I got roughly 12000 out of the origanals, I fitted 225 40 18 adrenilen potenza's, car just ticked over 40000, I have rotated them every 5000 and run a high 46psi and the tyres still have about 50% tread. The traction is not as good as the previous but Im no racer and these tyres are great! cost less than the others too!
    Give them a try

2. Default

Mine last forever, since six months after I bought the car, they've been sitting in the garage on the stock wheels.

35000kms

fronts were changed atr around 15k
    rear wnt to fronts and stayed for another 10

34,000km and still going strong another 6,000km in them I reckon, but will be getting new set in about 2,000km

23000km for the fronts. I let the fronts wear out and then replace. The rears are still like new.

38,000 kms and still black and round I can still see tread there

Do you guys notice any scrub running 40psi? I figure that if Mazda recommend 32psi on the tyre card on the door, surely can't go wrong.

The OEM RE050 Potenzas are awful tyres. Grossly over-priced, deafeningly noisy on coarse chip surfaces and thrum like a bass guitar on undulating hot-mix, fast-wearing, skittish and unpredictable in the wet and tram-line on longitudinal ridges like nothing I've ever had, regardless of set pressures. You'd think being so soft they'd have a halfway decent ride but they feel like you're sitting on a barn door dragged over a stubble-field.

I got 37,000km out of mine but still had 1mm of legal tread, including one track day. I rotate and balance every 10,000 service. I was glad to be shot of them and wouldn't ever give them garage room again.

I've had friends with a variety of cars fitted with OEM RE050's, from Subaru, to MPS6 to a Holden Caprice, plus myself, all of whom had their cars back to service or tyre fitting or aligning centres, complaining about steering wander and tram-lining that turned out to be solely attributable to the tyres.

The current Sumitomo HTRZIII's are simply galaxies ahead of the Potenzas. Quiet, sensibly-priced, comfortable, no tram-lining, grippy on corners and predictable, great in the wet. They transformed the car, made it sidestep like a polo-pony and much more enjoyable to drive.

BTW, my daughter has ~60,000km on the Potenzas on her MPS3 but she drives it very gently.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 19-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Well dad got probably 10,000km on his 6 MPS before the rims and tyres were fitted to my SP23 which then did at least another 30,000 before they were taken off and sold to a guy in Tassie. Still had plenty of tread left, at least 50% i'd say.
    Maybe the SP23 isn't as hard on tyres, but i don't drive the MPS any different to the SP23, so shouldn't make any difference.
    Most of the damage was done to them in the first few thousand kays on the MPS as the rear wheel alignment was out.

Brother got 7000km out of a set of Maxxis tyres before the inside sidewalls blew out on 3tyres. Bob Jane blame wheel alignment, but i cant see how anything would cause it other than faulty tyres, besides another Bob Jane dealer checked the wheel alignment and found nothing wrong.

Just replaced my OEM tyres at 69,000km. Fitted Falken ZE912 225x40x18, some much quieter than the OEM tyres.

i got about 25,600 out of my potenzas. just fitting a set of RT-615's in 2 days time. am looking forward to seeing the differences

I still on the cars original tyres has 46 thousand on clock still has 5mm till wear line worst case... I'm pretty hard on them i think original owner was soo easy on the .

I can't believe ppl say these tyres are shocking i find them pretty good but im not going to argue with ppl cause i dont have any experience in a better handling car or another MPS3 with different tyres.

Im guessing the majority are truthful and in that case im soo keen on new tyre HOW MUCH BETTER CAN IT HANDLE! lol

14. Unhappy RE050 only lasted about 25,000kms

The Bridgestone RE050 were OK. But were too soft and too expen$ive.
    Bought new Falken Ziex ZE329. Only about $185 for 215/45X17.
    Might try the Falken FK452 next.
    I had the Falken ST-115 on my Liberty, and these had good grip in the dry and wet and good wear. Too bad they don't make them any more.

Soft?! Maybe the compound is. But ride-wise I thought they rode like a barn door dragged over a stubble-field. I see I wrote extensively on this before. I still reckon the RE050's are possibly the worst tyre I've ever used. I got 31,000km out of mine (including one track day) and still had a mm over legal on them when I got shot of them for the current Sumi's. I couldn't put up with the Crapstones any longer. The RE050's were unbelievably noisy, tram-lined very badly and were skittish in the wet and the car felt uncertain and unsafe on them at all times. Many people I've talked to, with everything from BMW's to Holdens to Subi's, all took their cars back to the dealers to have steering or suspensions checked, so bad was the directional stability of their tyres. My daughter got 60,000km out of them in her 3MPS, but she drives gently. It's obvious that they don't stand caning all that well, as most enthusiasts report low life from them. I was happy enough with the 30,000 from mine and glad to be rid of them, but I'd have thrown up if I only got 15-20K out of them.

In contrast, I'd buy another set of Sumitomo HTRZ111's any day of the week. They're grippy, excellent in the wet, quiet on all surfaces, including coarse chip which was the bane of the RE050, and so far seem to be wearing well. And they cost 2/3 the price ($1065 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced). What's not to like about that?

I rotate my tyres every time I drive on them! ;-)
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 14-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Adam0509 View Post
    The Bridgestone RE050 were OK. But were too soft and too expen$ive.
    Bought new Falken Ziex ZE329. Only about $185 for 215/45X17.
    Might try the Falken FK452 next.
    I had the Falken ST-115 on my Liberty, and these had good grip in the dry and wet and good wear. Too bad they don't make them any more.
    I would strongly advise against the falken 452. After the Crapstone 050 the 452 are quite possibly the second worst tyres known to mankind.

Gone to Volvo

I'm still running on the original Bridgestone tyres on my MPS 3 after 43,000kms. They are starting to get low but still above wear indicator. Should be able to push over 50,000km with them.

The previous owner must be taking it easy because I give it a good workout from time to time.

Mine are running low now, want to try a set of Falken 595 SS's on my 6 - just got quoted $160/corner fitted and balanced

Anybody used 595's before?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Soft?! Maybe the compound is. But ride-wise I thought they rode like a barn door dragged over a stubble-field. I see I wrote extensively on this before. I still reckon the RE050's are possibly the worst tyre I've ever used. I got 31,000km out of mine (including one track day) and still had a mm over legal on them when I got shot of them for the current Sumi's. I couldn't put up with the Crapstones any longer. The RE050's were unbelievably noisy, tram-lined very badly and were skittish in the wet and the car felt uncertain and unsafe on them at all times. Many people I've talked to, with everything from BMW's to Holdens to Subi's, all took their cars back to the dealers to have steering or suspensions checked, so bad was the directional stability of their tyres. My daughter got 60,000km out of them in her 3MPS, but she drives gently. It's obvious that they don't stand caning all that well, as most enthusiasts report low life from them. I was happy enough with the 30,000 from mine and glad to be rid of them, but I'd have thrown up if I only got 15-20K out of them.

In contrast, I'd buy another set of Sumitomo HTRZ111's any day of the week. They're grippy, excellent in the wet, quiet on all surfaces, including coarse chip which was the bane of the RE050, and so far seem to be wearing well. And they cost 2/3 the price ($1065 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced). What's not to like about that?

I rotate my tyres every time I drive on them! ;-)
    Agree 100% about the RE050's I got just over 18K on mine... I went with the RE001's (Potenza Adrenalins) in a 225/40 compared to the 215/45?, which apart from being bloody expensive, resolved all the issues you've stated on my MPS3.

They're sitting on my now unused wheels still with a good 30% tread befoer the indicator with ~25000 K's on them. They didn't wear all that nicely, but I mainly attribute that to the high pressure I ran them at, the horrible stock suspension setup and the shocknig roads I like to push them hard on.

I'll be getting a new set of adrenalins for the RX-8 rims I have now in the near future. (unless I go with the Advan AD08's)

Just swapped out of my stock RE050's. Around the 26k mark and only when my regular mechanic wrote in bold letters on my receipt "ALL 4 TYRES WORN!!! NEED REPLACEMENT" hehehe

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast