User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2XS FMIC intercooler - dyno proven 22.4kw ATW gain over standard TMIC. Info inside.

Default 2XS FMIC intercooler - dyno proven 22.4kw ATW gain over standard TMIC. Info inside.

Some of you may know that I've been using my car as a 'test mule' for Troy (2XS) to make some products which can be offered to other 3 MPS owners, partially due to issues with getting bits for our cars for a reasonable price. I've been running a few interesting little bits and pieces, one of which (SSP) has found it's way onto a few cars now and plenty of people are enjoying.

The most recent addition to my car from the house of 2XS has been a front mounted intercooler kit, which was constructed with the idea that it can bolt straight in with no cutting or other mods required, and will work with a SRI or CAI as well as any BOV that fits the standard flange, although a HKS style flange could be done if required.

I had an opportunity yesterday to get back onto the Chiptorque dyno as part of the XR5 forum dyno day so we could get some comparison numbers pre and post FMIC. The only change between the runs was the FMIC, this is evident by the very similar graphs. Blue is with FMIC, red with stock TMIC.

The only other performance mod on the car is a Mazdaspeed CAI. Even the factory plastic BPV/BOV was used. I wonder if an aftermarket one would hold more boost?

AFR comparison

Boost comparison

Torque comparison

Overall I'm stoked with the result, and the difference driving the car is noticable.

YouTube vid of the run. Thanks to Duglet.

Last edited by TD; 05-05-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added boost and AFR graphs

thts awesome..wonder if he'll do one for mps6...boost come on later with fmic?

Seems to be at about the same RPM, but when I get/post the boost graphs that will tell more of the story.

sweet nice one?
    2.5" aluminum piping?

That is an excellent result.

Troys GFB's are definitely proving to be the goods arent they.

I'll start the 2XS marketing asap

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    sweet nice one?
    2.5" aluminum piping?
    2.25" mild steel at the moment, driveability is unchanged from stock.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    That is an excellent result.

Troys GFB's are definitely proving to be the goods arent they.
    The man knows his stuff, very switched on and just has a knack for knowing what will work and what won't. Some of that is experience, the rest is just his big brain

very nice we all can use an extra 20+ kw.... .. wish could fab my own parts

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I'll start the 2XS marketing asap
    It's being worked on already

Thanks for the offer/support/greed
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    very nice we all can use an extra 20+ kw.... .. wish could fab my own parts
    Well hopefully this will be released as a kit at a price where it would be silly to attempt to make your own, that's the whole point of this exercise. Making affordable, proven, reliable performance parts for the Australian MPS community.

Hmmm Even thought this has got 2XS's name involved, I'll still stick with the top mount.

and seriously...what is is with people getting car names wrong? Ford xr5 = mazda mps? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post

? Ford xr5 = mazda mps? wtf?
    What the?

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    What the?
    Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Look at the YouTube video. i know it was a Ford Dyno day, but at least it could of put the word (MPS) in there somewhere?

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
    "Ohh it must of been when you were kissing me". -MeatLoaf
    OMG pressing the right pedal makes me go forward!...but pressing the middle doesn't.. hows does that work?... aliens...

Errr it says MPS in the video title...

But anyway, all the info is above. Happy to answer any other questions people may have.

how much for one of these for an mps6 or will it work for mps6?

Thats a great result guys.

I have always been worried that moving to a front mount would increase the turbo lag and reduce drivability for which the MPS is known.

Great work Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    how much for one of these for an mps6 or will it work for mps6?
    Hey Steve, PM Troy and see what he can do, might be able to sort something for your 6 based on a similar setup to mine. We know it works now, would just be a matter of getting the pipes fabricated to fit the 6.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    Thats a great result guys.

I have always been worried that moving to a front mount would increase the turbo lag and reduce drivability for which the MPS is known.

Great work Troy.
    This setup would go great on your car, everything is already there. Icing on the cake as they say. If you want a drive of it to see how it goes in day-to-day let me know, we'll work something out.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Video link updated

Great stuff, I told ya Troy just waiting for more projects! When will these be available? I want one!

I'm based at the coast Kfunk, let me know if you want to have a look at the setup.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast