User Tag List

Thread: CAI Filter

Default CAI Filter

Hi, got an AEM CAI and was just wondering what is the best filter to put on the end of it?Currently just got the stock filter but head maybe a K and N would give slightly better performance??

Anywhere i can get one of these from a local repco etc?

What type of weather shield should i put on the cai filter?

Already have a metal shield protector of wheel arch to prevent water hitting...

Thanks

I've got the same setup. Metal splashshield works fine so just leave that alone, you shouldn't need an extra shield.

I've used the AEM filter, K&N and currently have a Drift brand dry filter from Autobarn. The trick will be finding a K&N that fits in the metal weathershield. Performance difference between all those types of filters will be minimal, as long as they're kept clean/replaced at appropriate intervals. The reason I ended up with so many is that what cleaning the AEM it used to take ages to dry, so I picked up the Drift filter to run while I cleaned the AEM, then Wardski donated me his old K&N so I ran that for a while but found my MAF sensor got dirtier with it, most probably from the filter oil. Back to the Drift one now and it's working fine, will probably just chuck it out and put a new one on when it reaches end of life ($50 or so).

thanks dan, any idea on how to clean the AEM filter..may just clean that and call it a day??

You need the AEM cleaning kit, water and a bucket.

Cleaning Kit link here

How to clean the filter link here

The thing I didn't like was that it took AGES for the filter to dry after cleaning, I once fitted mine too early when it was still damp after a full day of drying, got CEL's and couldn't go above 2000rpm without the filter sucking in on itself due to not flowing air. If you're keen to keep the AEM filter maybe buy another one so you can rotate them, i.e. put the new one on while cleaning the old one.

Another reason I stopped using the AEM filter was that I couldn't find the cleaning kit anywhere other than mail order from the US, at US$20 plus shipping for the cleaning kit it was cheaper to go to Autobarn and grab the Drift filter. There might be another method to clean the AEM, but I basically couldn't be bothered

would the ones from kand work..its soething for the sut and then the oil...would that be fine to buy for $30?Thanks

No No No! Do NOT use the K&N kit on an AEM filter. The AEM is a dryflow filter, so has to be dry. The K&N gets much of its filtering from the oil that is sprayed lightly on to it.