User Tag List

Thread: Pod filters

Default Pod filters

OK guys im having a fight with my brother.. he recons that his car pass a blue slip with a POD FILTER.... told him theres no way am i right or wrong?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

I said there illegal..... theres no way unless teh guy doing the blue slip was blind!!

I think if you put it in a box its all good

this was not in an air box. prob held on by zip ties know my dodgie brother!!!

Totally depends on examiner's interpretation of the law. It can pass blue slip in NSW but still be illegal as far as police are concerned. Pod filters were given a bad reputation - as in some cases - particularly oiled filters, had been known to catch fire on certain vehicles.

Blue or Pink slip Inspections have no clear defined rules on POD Filters at least not in NSW.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    this was not in an air box. prob held on by zip ties know my dodgie brother!!!
    Would have failed on an incorrectly mounted or loose air filter rather than it being a POD

Luke I've done a bit of looking into it and I refer:

Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 2002 and
    Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002.

Have a read of that, I had a glance and (it was really boring) and didn't find anything specific on POD's other than they don't seem to like a vehicle modified from manufactures standards or alternatively download the PDF RoadTrfcVhleStand&.pdf RoadTrfcVhleStand&.pdf

Hope it helps, if not for POD's maybe for another enquiry you have

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I had a chat with a guy who does rego checks today. he said there was no reason why a car with a pod cant pass a rego check, as long as it not tied down with zip ties etc must be firmly bolted into place. Its the police that do not like them, due to the modding of the car.(its an easy defect) Thanks for the info i will read further into it ..

I would agree with that. I've got the CP-E Xcel Cold Air intake and with that specific design it enables you to fit it in the vehicle quite securely. It comes with a mounting plate which is bolted on. I see no reason to find that a defect or not secured properly. I think some people just get pods, fit them and let them dangle in the engine bay somewhere. Also a lot of people just want power and do so by installing dodgy parts or the install itself it basic at best. Those links I put up are a bit vague in areas. I sometimes think there are too many standards and by reading and understanding that you might actually find brand new stock cars might not adhere to that particular code. I have heard once before of a Brand new car getting yellow stickered before! Another bad thing I've heard of a guy been yellow stickered 3 times, each time passing the pits with flying colours. That comes down to idiot cops not knowing their job and being a nuisance!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I got pulled over the HWP when i had my modded SP20.

Got asked to pop the hood and first thing he noticed was my CAI.
    Although the pod filter was hidden behind the wheel well, he asked me if it was enclosed!!
    I replied "yes sir" / it was enclosed by the Pre-Filter cover!!

Lol..