User Tag List

Thread: Smoke spurt when hitting boost?

Default Smoke spurt when hitting boost?

Is this normal? I remember watching some youtube video about a year or so ago of some douche driving his mazdaspeed 3 in a carpark doing doeys and shiz and smoke was spitting out everywhere and I'm pretty sure I read a comment on it saying it was only because these engine runs rich... So I'm hoping this is what is happening with mine.
    Just when I'm say cruising down the highway and put my foot down and the turbo kicks in, a puff of smoke shoots out in a pretty large cloud. Is this normal? Or should I be taking it somewhere to be checked?
    Thanks people

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    Is this normal? I remember watching some youtube video about a year or so ago of some douche driving his mazdaspeed 3 in a carpark doing doeys and shiz and smoke was spitting out everywhere and I'm pretty sure I read a comment on it saying it was only because these engine runs rich... So I'm hoping this is what is happening with mine.
    Just when I'm say cruising down the highway and put my foot down and the turbo kicks in, a puff of smoke shoots out in a pretty large cloud. Is this normal? Or should I be taking it somewhere to be checked?
    Thanks people
    I get that, I see it more at night with the lights behind me from cars and on the dyno, small amounts and towards the end a big black puff comes out ... Boys say it's normal

normal.. 10:1 AFrs will do that..

Yea that situation seems normal on my gen2 as well... Happens after u hit boost and take it past to 5000rpm

I love it! Definitely a "feature" of the MPS

007 smoke screen engaged...

The colour of the smoke should tell you something...

I've never noticed it?

I usually have my eyes on the road ahead when hitting full boost However have been told about my smoke screen too

noticeable at night..

as long as its not blue.. dont worry

- Short puff of dark to black - no problem - just rich on initial spool-up. Smells a bit like diesel particulates in these engines.
    - White or blue-ish - problem. Especially if it persists and blots out those behind you! :-P - It'll smell of oil too.

I was following my missus when she put her foot down, i was suprised how rich it does run under boost it wasnt just a puff either maybe it goes richer when its sitting on the limiter ?

I've had a few comments about this smoke to on occasions. When they couldn't keep up with me, they realised there is nothing wrong with my car

I first noticed it on last years Merimbula cruise. All the MPS 3's did the same. Didn't notice it so much on the 6's though

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    I've never noticed it?
    Same here.

Im never watching back when Im about to launch the crap out of the car.

GTTOOL, I guess it's stating the bleeding obvious, but the amount of smoke related to the degree of richness will depend on your tune. I don't know if you run a computer program to let you see the TP/RPM/FUEL settings throughout the performance range. If you do it might be adjustable to better optimize. Manufacturers' settings will build in a fair bit of protection by way of timing retard and increasing richness at the upper end too, to both reduce detonation risk as well as temperatures.

I don't know how some guys are launching their cars, but I maintain a fair bit of respect for my transmission and tyres, feed in mild power until I'm rolling and then let 2nd and 3rd do the big haul. This also gives the engine a chance to get the idea that it is expected to do some real work, rather than just goosing it from idle, when it is unsurprising that the ECU just dumps in heaps of fuel. Although one's attention is usually on the road ahead when straightening the right leg and concentrating on keeping the whole rig straight (especially in 3's), I do check behind and never see smoke with my tune and manner of take-off.

In any event. there are few situations when street light drags are beneficial, as you usually get pulled up at the next set and it was all a waste of time and effort.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 05-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks for this thread

I noticed this the other night when I had a WRX giving me some curry and when I looked in the rear view mirror while gunning it I shit myself at the black smoke coming out the back after flooring it. It made me back off at first and the WRX blasted me as a result

Since then I found that the gen2 3MPS does it all the time. So I figured it was a richness thing and don't worry about it too much. I see other turbo cars do it too. (I am inexperienced at turbo car behaviors)

Cheers

all normal..

wait till you get a small afterfire.. (not a backfire)... all that unburnt fuel can ignite on the rare occasion.. then you will see smoke

Doc

Sufficiently discussed, its normal
    any issues please PM me