User Tag List

Thread: New kid on the block? 2011 Kia Optima with DI, Turbo, Hybrid

Default New kid on the block? 2011 Kia Optima with DI, Turbo, Hybrid

Looks like there might be a new horsepower kid on the block in the new Kia Optima. One model carries their new 2.0 litre turbocharged 4 cylinder engine claiming a 206kw output, driving through the front wheels via a 6-speed auto or manual transmission. It looks pretty neat too. This will be an interesting evolution to observe! Kia came from low beginnings but they have tightened up their act fast with a lot of European input. I've only driven an earlier model, once, the Cerato, but was reasonably impressed with its fit and finish and I know they have come a long way since then. Any comments?

Article from Auto Blog

At the New York Auto Show today, Kia officially introduced its new 2011 Optima mid-size sedan and, as we expected, it shares much with the recently launched Hyundai Sonata. In spite of the same wheelbase and almost identical dimensions, however, this is no case of badge engineering. The Optima has completely different styling from its corporate sibling with a crisp, modern look that is in keeping with other recent Kia introductions.

What it does share with the Hyundai is its complete powertrain lineup, including a naturally aspirated 2.4-liter Theta II inline-four, a turbocharged 2.0-liter version of the same engine and the new 2.4-liter hybrid powertrain. The latter two configurations were both announced by Hyundai yesterday for the Sonata. Each of the engines features direct injection and variable valve timing with the non-hybrids being rated at 200 and 274 horsepower, respectively. All the powertrains are mated to six-speed transmissions, with the base model being available with a manual and the others being all automatic.

Three trim levels will be offered: LX, E, and SX, with the two upper trim levels receiving Kia's new Uvo infotainment system as standard equipment. The Uvo system, you may recall, is based on the same Microsoft Car operating platform that underpins Ford Sync.

The Optima is based on the same lightweight architecture as the Sonata, and we expect it will achieve similar fuel economy numbers when it goes on sale this Fall (early 2011 for the hybrid). That would put it in the (very impressive) 22/35 mpg range for the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter engine, 22/34 for the turbo and 37/39 mpg for the hybrid. Check out the high-resolution images below and the press release after the jump – and be sure to stay tuned, we'll have live shots and impressions from the show floor posted shortly.

More Images HERE

[Source: AutoBlog via Doug_MPS6]
    Last edited by shakespeare; 25-04-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added images and article
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Added images/article from Autoblog and moved to Other Manufacturers Forum

Looks good and specs sound impressive, the Koreans are starting to develop some performance!

The front looks terrible. Korea is yet to make something that is better than its Japanese competitors.

Its got potential, and pretty decent looks, embarrassing even KIA is now making better looking cars than Mazda and even Subaru.

the grille looks like a smiling pig

I haven't formed any major views about it. It looks OK, clean enough lines, though not as pretty and gutsy looking as an MPS6 (and it isn't AWD), and I'm not about to rush out and buy one. But I posted the item as I was intrigued at the power output reported from a "mere" 2.0 litres. A few MPS6 owners would still like to achieve that from 2.3 litres, even though it is relatively easily done.

For a KIA is not bad start..., its actually pretty good.

dont mind it. has some potential.

Those wheels are horrible, I don't mind the front end, it looks mean.

206kw from a 2.0 is pretty impressive.

Hopefully since we got the (cool looking but ultimately pretty lame) Cerato Koup over the Hyundai Genesis we'll get the Optima as it's replacement, I'd be interested to see what sort of a price they put on these.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

This is better, minus the horrible wheels:

Looks sweet!
    Last edited by duglet; 28-04-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: edit image link
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Nice work, indeed wheels are

Ive seen it in the flesh, the rear end is very pleasant but i wasn't so sure with the front. I would actually consider it if it wasn't a "KIA" ...

are these rwd fwd or awd?

I'd be interested to see the build quality and level of interior refinement. That's still where the Kia's are lacking IMO.

I see them where Hyundai was about ten-twelve years ago. Getting there, but still a little way off

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    the grille looks like a smiling pig

Bwahahahahahahahahah

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I'd be interested to see the build quality and level of interior refinement. That's still where the Kia's are lacking IMO.

I see them where Hyundai was about ten-twelve years ago. Getting there, but still a little way off
    I've had a look in the showroom and the interior is very impressive in terms of quality, ergonomics and technology. Compared to the Magentis which had the very worst leather I have seen in a car.

I personally like the look and think they're on to a real winner. The only issue seems to be the handling which is still not up to the same standard as the Japanese.

I think Kia are starting to produce cars that are more appealing in terms of styling, value and drive experience than Hyundai (look at i45, while it shares the same platform it doesn't review as well).

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    I've had a look in the showroom and the interior is very impressive in terms of quality, ergonomics and technology. Compared to the Magentis which had the very worst leather I have seen in a car.

I personally like the look and think they're on to a real winner. The only issue seems to be the handling which is still not up to the same standard as the Japanese.

I think Kia are starting to produce cars that are more appealing in terms of styling, value and drive experience than Hyundai (look at i45, while it shares the same platform it doesn't review as well).
    i45 looks good but lacks handling and this was from Hyundai salesman.

KIA have come a long way in so little time, think about it.

Japanese car makers have taken nearly 40 years to refine, where KIA has basically done it in 10.

Looks, interior and fit/finish can all be put down to KIA hiring Audi designer and also the VW main design chief as well.

They are trying to make KIA appealing in UK and Europe and actually taking it to the local brands with half the pricing.

Australians will judge the Korean cars on past achievements while in their infant stages.

But both KIA and Hyundai are giving factory warranties that other car makers aren't so are standing behind their products.

So I personally think great car and looks rather sweet and not boring like most Jap brands (Mazda, Subaru and Honda).

Need to refine the handling which will happen as they start releasing the new breed of sports cars and performance hatches.

P.S. Excels ain't bad cars as after 20 years you still see them on the road driving around, they were the cheapest new car back in the day.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch2k View Post
    This is better, minus the horrible wheels:

Looks sweet!
    Nice M3! Wheels/side indicators/black roof... all ideas from the kind folks at BMW (alas i know the wheels are 'shopped).

I'll be keen for a test drive!