User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exessive oil in fmic pipes !!!!!

Unhappy Exessive oil in fmic pipes !!!!!

Advise please on exessive oil in fmic pipes !!! Replacement turbo has only been in 3 thousand klm's . The advise ive had is the front oil seals in the turbo are leaking . Can anybody concure with that diagnosis !!!!!

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 25-04-2010 at 04:02 AM.

2. Default

Getting some oil blowby? some oil in the IC is ok, but lots isnt..

I suggest your PCV is gone bad and you'll need a catch can if you dont already have one.

This issue is common in Subarus as well - especially after a turbo upgrade.

Did you clean the cooler out when you put the new turbo on? just to make sure it is the new turbo.

if the cooler was clean and you have only done 3000kms and there is more then a thin film of oil inside the cooler then there is a problem.

its natural for a very very thin film of oil inside the cooler/pipes this thin film shouldnt be excessive to the point that it drips or collects in puddles.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

as wardski said it can also be caused by blowby as well as the turbo.

oil catch can will help to find the cause

is there oil in your inlet pipe to the turbo?

If so its just breathing a little heavy from the rocker cover (and not bad turbo seals). Chuck a catch can on there... and call it a day.

As a side note.. Whats you oil level like?
    Last edited by Doc; 25-04-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Guys, I was there when we were re-connecting the pipes and there was more oil then you should normally see for blow-by and was fresh oil too But hoping for Col's sake it is just a build-up from old turbo in the cooler, but that should be long gone as we've done some big cruise's that would have gotten all that into the motor. .

Oh wardski, Col has a catch can already setup. . .

Looks exactly what happened to my R when my turbo seals failed (Front and rear) but my turbo had at least 70,000kms on it not 3000kms !
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Guys, I was there when we were re-connecting the pipes and there was more oil then you should normally see for blow-by and was fresh oil too But hoping for Col's sake it is just a build-up from old turbo in the cooler, but that should be long gone as we've done some big cruise's that would have gotten all that into the motor. .

Oh wardski, Col has a catch can already setup. . .

Looks exactly what happened to my R when my turbo seals failed (Front and rear) but my turbo had at least 70,000kms on it not 3000kms !
    It depends on where the catch can is installed.. if its between the PCV and the inlet manifold.. its not going to help one bit. It needs to be between the rocker cover and the intake.

There are soooo many posts of oil in intake, oil in TIMC, oil in intercooler from the states. These guys turbos did not give up the ghost, they had PCV issues, and were breathing lots of oil to to boost leaking where is shouldn't be.

One interesting thread I noticed (I did look into this) was it happened to a few guys, after the car was serviced (1000 or so miles later). They then checked the oil on the dipstick, and it was a good quart overfull.

Maybe Mazda was a little over enthusiastic with the oil servicing post turbo replacement.?

If there is a heap of oil in the TURBO INLET.. this is not the turbo seals. Its a 20min job to check. I suggest doing so before we jump to conclusions about new turbos crapping the bed.

Doc

Oh, please Please report back further with oil level
    Last edited by Doc; 25-04-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It depends on where the catch can is installed.. if its between the PCV and the inlet manifold.. its not going to help one bit. It needs to be between the rocker cover and the intake.

There are soooo many posts of oil in intake, oil in TIMC, oil in intercooler from the states. These guys turbos did not give up the ghost, they had PCV issues, and were breathing lots of oil to to boost leaking where is shouldn't be.

One interesting thread I noticed (I did look into this) was it happened to a few guys, after the car was serviced (1000 or so miles later). They then checked the oil on the dipstick, and it was a good quart overfull.

Maybe Mazda was a little over enthusiastic with the oil servicing post turbo replacement.?

If there is a heap of oil in the TURBO INLET.. this is not the turbo seals. Its a 20min job to check. I suggest doing so before we jump to conclusions about new turbos crapping the bed.

Doc

Oh, please Please report back further with oil level
    Very good theory there DOC, will investigate this, the oil catch can is more than likely setup in the wrong area, cause i have noticed it is not set with an through port (It only has a hose comin in) and then is meant to vent to atmosphere through a threaded bleed nut so to speak.

Question, Where and what does the PCV look like on the MPS, I know what and where the PCV is one my GTiR and I actually have a spare genuine one for if it ever fails. . . But they do gunk up cause i cleaned my last year when I was having bad blow-by and that seemed t be the cause.
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .

its under the inlet manifold.. on the block..

and the catch can should have an in and an out on it..

have a read..

Mazdaspeed Forums

Defiantly should not be just one hose in..

Cheers
    Doc

Hello Doc ,

The oil level is at the crinkly bit on the oil level stick definately over full

Col

Well that has caused issues before from what ive read.

get yourself a big syringe, and drain a bit out through the dip stick hole.

Up to the crinkly bit is defiantly over serviced.
    You just need to confirm that the oil is in the turbo INLET and not just the compressor discharge (hot pipes).

Over serviced oil can cause positive crank case pressure, making it more difficult for the oil to return back to the sump. and this can push past the seals on the turbo, however I do doubt this as your turbo is new.

Im sticking with my excessive rocker cover breathing..

SO, lower oil quantity, move catchcan.. report further I guess.

Good luck

Doc

OR take it back to mazda and yell at them, have their apprentices that serviced your car clean out your pipes, and have them refit it all again.. Your car will look great with a roof mounted FMIC care of Mazda, they know what they are doing..
    Last edited by Doc; 26-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Col do it..... Do what the Doc tells you to do....

Needs to be fixed before I get there.......

ahh you guys are cute together...

its under the inlet manifold.. on the block..

and the catch can should have an in and an out on it..

have a read..

Mazdaspeed Forums

Defiantly should not be just one hose in..

Cheers
    Doc
    Yeah very true, the catch can setup is ridiculas, a 10yr child could have set it up better ! Some dogy workshops up here. . . Normally when you have an in and an out you have one in and one out not one in and bung up the other.

Col, I have the required gear to remove some of the excess oil

PULL THE BLOODY TURBO INLET PIPE OFF AND CHECK FOR OIL!

I know I had the CAPS on too!

Default Dodgy oil catch can set up !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Yeah very true, the catch can setup is ridiculas, a 10yr child could have set it up better ! Some dogy workshops up here. . . Normally when you have an in and an out you have one in and one out not one in and bung up the other.

Col, I have the required gear to remove some of the excess oil
    Ok Micheal thanks , but we do have a problem I'm having those 2 ops on thurs morn and will be layed up 4 the week end at least. I know I am stretching the friendship but I wonder if you guys could at least conect up the catch can properly & drain the excess oil b4 Rino gets here on thursday the 6th of may . If it makes things easier u or Gary could p/u Madaz from my place during the week . Or in my garage up to you guys .

Col

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Col do it..... Do what the Doc tells you to do....

Needs to be fixed before I get there.......

Ok Rino I'm sure it will be all good when you get here next Thurs

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 27-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Were would we be without you DOC?

Hi Timbo would you have the blu silicone hoses to re install the oil catch can from the mzr sri to the catch can ???

Col

There are two different locations you can put a catch can on these cars. You can have one or both depending on what problems(s) you are trying to resolve.

The main one is in the PCV line, to stop the bottom of the inlet mani accumulating oil. It's a reasonably involved job to install one of these.

The other is in the rocker cover breather line. Normally not needed unless your rings are leaky and you have a lot of blowby which makes the vent blow instead of suck.

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post
    Hi Timbo would you have the blu silicone hoses to re install the oil catch can from the mzr sri to the catch can ???

Col
    The piece off hose connected to your intake breather is 28mm. I'm now using 25mm as it is a tighter fit. I have a length available but not sure if it will fit the catch can connector which from memory is smaller. Perhaps we could fit a sleeve in side the hose at that end?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Default Thanks for your advice doc !!!!!!

ahh you guys are cute together...
    YEAH REGULAR LAUREL & HARDY'S IS ME & FUNNY BOY RINO ONLY NEED 1 MORE IDIOT & WE WILL HAVE THE 3 STOOGES !!

Col

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    The piece off hose connected to your intake breather is 28mm. I'm now using 25mm as it is a tighter fit. I have a length available but not sure if it will fit the catch can connector which from memory is smaller. Perhaps we could fit a sleeve in side the hose at that end?
    YES Timbo it is smaller , I have the original hose connector that Troy supplied with the catch can ,We need to sort this out quickly as im having those ops on Thurs and will be of my feet . if you could supply to Micheal or help him with fixing the problem I would much appreciate it b4 Rino gets here .I Will ring Micheal and let him know I can fix u up 4 the cost on the cruise w/end thanks heaps !!

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast