• Michelin Pilot SuperSport

3 2.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tyre Review Thread

Brand: Michelin
    Model: Pilot Super Sports
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $319 ea fitted
    Bought from: Bob Jane T Marts Fyshwick (next to the adult store!)
    Size: 225/45/18
    Value /10: TBD
    Performance /10: TBD
    Likes: (on drive home) decent grip levels, confidence inspiring... and reasonably quiet
    Dislikes: a bit pricy... hard to find
    Wear: expecting ~40k km out of a set

Bob Jane T Marts will rotate and check allignment after 5k km and 10k km, for free
    worked out that it's the same as buying a set from tire rack, and paying shipping at 1AUD = 0.9USD
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 22-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Model: Pilot Super Sports
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $319 ea fitted
    Bought from: Bob Jane T Marts Fyshwick (next to the adult store!)
    Size: 225/45/18
    Value /10: TBD
    Performance /10: TBD
    Likes: (on drive home) decent grip levels, confidence inspiring... and reasonably quiet
    Dislikes: a bit pricy... hard to find
    Wear: expecting ~40k km out of a set

Bob Jane T Marts will rotate and check allignment after 5k km and 10k km, for free
    worked out that it's the same as buying a set from tire rack, and paying shipping at 1AUD = 0.9USD
    thats a very good price for locally sourced. normally $400+

surprised you only find the grip 'decent'. What tyre you coming from and why the 45 profile?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    thats a very good price for locally sourced. normally $400+

surprised you only find the grip 'decent'. What tyre you coming from and why the 45 profile?
    well, i have driven a total of about 20km, but can already tell there's more grip than the KU31's on there previously

As for the 45 profile, on stock gen 1 rims... And would like the extra ride comfort...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 22-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

well, i have driven a total of about 20km, but can already tell there's more grip than the KU31's on there previously

As for the 45 profile, on stock gen 1 rims... And would like the extra ride comfort...

You will love them in the wet. They are a great overall tyre. Buying the same again next time. I have the 40's on mine.

1st world problems are mine
    As soon as you go up to 19", the budget get blown out completely

So jelly

Brand: Kumho
    Model: Ecsta SPT KU31
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $275 per corner fitted
    Bought from: Rocklea Tyrepower (2012)
    Size: 215/45 R18 (stock)
    Value /10: 8
    Performance /10: 8
    Dislikes: Somewhat noisy
    Wear: 36,200km (still had 0.5mm over legal minimum)

Now trialling Dunlop SP SPORT LM703 (got for $168 per corner fitted).

Brand: Achilles
    Model: ATR Sport
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $605 fitted
    Bought from: Kostera Tyres (Kalamunda)
    Size: 245/35R20(F) 255/35R20(R)
    Value /10: 9
    Performance /10: 8
    Likes: Low cost, low noise, great (cold / warm) grip and response. Overall very happy.
    Dislikes: Do overheat when pushed hard. Quickly occurred when I was breaking traction on corner exit (repeatedly) but not nearly as quick when I was grip driving.
    Wear: 5,000KM. No excessive / uneven wear

I have had these tyres on my DC2 Integra (~17,000KM), VE and brothers VU ute. Off first and current impressions I would buy them again (pending power output at next purchase)
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

8. Default

I've noticed a lot of people go for 225/40/18, am I missing something or do people just go for this for the extra width and minimal rotation difference over the stock 215/45/18?

Quote Originally Posted by defy View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people go for 225/40/18, am I missing something or do people just go for this for the extra width and minimal rotation difference over the stock 215/45/18?
    Stock size for gen 2

10. Default

Stock size for gen 2
    Stink, now I feel stupid for thinking of that.

Wish I could get the F1 Assymetric here (NZ) only the directional 5 is available, based on online reviews the assymetric is a better tyre.
    Last edited by defy; 16-03-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Model: Pilot Super Sport
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $330 per tyre fitted (balanced, alignment and nitrogen filled)
    Bought from: JAXQuickfit Tyres
    Size: 225/40/18
    Value /10: 10
    Performance /10: 10
    Likes: Fantastic grip in the wet and dry. It loses grip very progressively and predictably, so it's very inspiring. The best tyres I've ever fitted to any car I've owned.
    Dislikes: Not the quietest tyre and not exactly cheap, but then I'm fully mounted and you get what you pay for.
    Wear: Not sure yet. I've done about 7000 km and they aren't showing any major signs of wear just yet. But I'm not expecting a huge range considering their performance.

12. Default

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

iphone 6 plus hülle leder
    Last edited by chiprose789; 10-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Bump.

What's the consensus for the quietest tyre? I live in a regional town but we have a Bridgestone dealer and a Dunlop dealer that can also source Michelin, BF Goodrich, Dunlop and Goodyear.

Currently have stock Dunlops on the rear and some cheap and nasty chinese ones on the front from the previous owner. Road noise is incredible on coarse roads, to the point I don't even bother with the radio!

The ps3 is quieter than PSS by some margin... But You'll definitely want a non semi slick...

The Kumhi ku39's are marketed as quiet tyres above the ku31's. Anyone tried these on an MPS?

16. Default

Brand: Bridgestone
    Model: Potenza Adrenaline RE003
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $642 for four ($160.5 each) (4 for 3 Bridgestone promo), normally $214 each
    Bought from: Bridgestone St Albans VIC
    Value: 11/10
    Performance: Just fitted them yesterday so early days, but very happy with the grip. Will have to see what they are like in the wet. With the promo i dont think they can be beat. owner of the shop thinks they are the pick of the Bridgestone performance series tyres (vs RE050A or S001)
    Wear: Too early at this stage

Model: Pilot Super Sport
    Price (fitted): $1,140 for a set of 4, including the $100 cash back special. Usually $310 each including fitting
    Bought from: Jax Mackay
    Value: TBC
    Performance: Fitted today, replaced shitty, noisy and rock hard 'Goodride' tyres on the front and original Dunlops on the rear. Driving 1000km to Brisbane tomorrow so will see what they are like.
    Wear: Too early at this stage. Noise has dropped noticeably and it doesn't scrabble for traction like previously. The cheap chinese tyres on the car were put on by the dealer to get it through roadworthy. I tolerated them for 25k km before saying enough is enough. After 25k km they still looked like new despite the caning I gave them. Good indication how hard they are.
    Wear: Too early at this stage
    Last edited by Brissy_MPS3; 10-06-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678