20 15.87%
  • Yokohama S.drive

11 8.73%
  • Michelin Pilot SuperSport

3 2.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Review Thread

Michelin Pilot Sport and Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2 made my short list. When tirerack said they wouldn't ship the Michelin to oz, I went for the Good year locally sourced, especially given the price

Brand: Goodyear
    Model: F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $385 each - Shop-a-docket special - Pay for 3 get 4th Free - All up including fitting, balancing, wheel alignment = $1260 (saved approx $385)
    Bought from: Goodyear Tyre and Auto Dural
    Size: 225/40/18
    Value /10: so far 9/10
    Performance 8/10: Very good grip around corners. Had to reduce the pressue as running 38 in the front was way too hard. Now running 35-36 in the front, 34-35 rear.
    Dislikes: none so far
    Wear: will have to see given my wheel alignment was way off with the old tyres. Hopefully more than 30,000kms

I've read lot of forums users running 40/38 front/rear. I find this very uncomfortable as with these tyres you feel everything, let alone the road noise.

I've now dropped the pressure to 36/35 front/rear. A much better feel (softer) on the road and better grip. I suspect this will be at the expense of tyre wear in the long run.
    Last edited by naasif; 29-04-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Updated since driving around 500kms
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

2. Default

Brand: Toyo
    Model: T1R
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $250 fitted (bought as a set packaged with new thirdparty wheels)
    Bought from: JAX Quickfit
    Size: 215/50/17
    Value /10: 10
    Performance /10: 8
    Likes: quiet, excellent grip in wet, rim protector, good looking sidewall (i.e. straight vertical)
    Dislikes: squeally, lateral grip in dry
    Wear: (how many K's out of a set, if not actual put expected but mark it as so) 79,000
    Reason for choosing this: good value, high wear grade; reviewed by Car and Driver 12/2005 Tyre Test

Brand: Hankook
    Model: Ventus V12 Evo
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $192 fitted (set)
    Bought from: Darra Tyres... got to order them in from down south though
    Size: 215/50/17
    Value /10: 10
    Performance /10: 10
    Likes: quiet, excellent grip both wet and dry, faster corner speed than Toyo T1R
    Dislikes: side wall doesn't look too good (i.e. not straight vertical but bulgy)
    Wear: (how many K's out of a set, if not actual put expected but mark it as so) 75,000 expected
    Reason for choosing this: excellent value, excellent ratings by Car and Driver 6/2009, Auto Bild SportsCars 4/2008, 4/2009
    Last edited by wyvernone; 28-07-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added reason for choosing those tyres

3. Default

Just adding my bit.

Current:

Brand: Goodyear
    Model: Eagle F1 Directional 5
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $275 per corner (fitted + wheel alignment)
    Bought from: Beurepaires (don't ask).
    Size: 225/40R18 92Y XL
    Value /10: 7.5
    Performance /10: 9.5
    Likes: Amazingly low noise. Roundabouts. No tram-lining - very very very stable underfoot and I now have supreme confidence in the car. It feels so different that I'm happy to outlay the extra cash. Minimal wheelspin when booting it in 1st and 2nd but importantly torque steer (whilst we all love it) isn't so much a factor.
    Dislikes: Slightly to wide for the stock rim (5mm) but it works, looks ok too.

Previous:

Brand: Toyo
    Model: Proxes
    Price (fitted/unfitted): Not sure, refer to previous posts. Previous owner put them on for a roadworthy I assume.
    Bought from: N/A
    Value /10: 8
    Performance /10: 7
    Likes: Good value tyre, does an OK job but definately not a :O improvement.
    Dislikes: LOUD. Horrid in wet, plenty of sliding. In comparison to the Goodyears I approximate that there is 2-3 times more wheelspin in early gears. Fell to shreds at about 18000km of driving - the steel wiring was MUNTED and needed immediate replacement on 3/4 wheels.

Having upgraded, I now know how the MPS 3 should behave and simply the Toyo's aren't good enough.
    The Goodyears are very expensive but very impressive - I played the 'I am a student card, can't afford to change tyres just yet' and got $475.71 off the price so that changes the argument in some respects.

4. Default

Brand: Falken
    Model: FK452
    Price (fitted/unfitted): 4 Fitted and alignment front and back $1030
    Bought from: Bob Jane T Mart Shellharbour
    Size: 225/40/ZR18 92Y
    Value /10: 3
    Performance /10: 0
    Dislikes: ALOT of noise at all speeds on sealed roads, especially when rears placed on front after 10k tyre rotation due to being worn un evenly.
    Wear: Harsh wear on inside of back tyres causing the tread pattern to feather on the inside edge. Inside wear on front tyres after 10,000kms. Wheels aligned correctly when tyres fitted.
    Tyres rotated front to back during 40K service had done 10,000km. The noise from the front tyres due to the increased feathering caused when on the rear is DEAFENING. These tyres are terrible!!!
    Expected 18,000kms at present wear rate as the inside edge will be down to the belting.
    Last edited by Cruncher; 04-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
    Model: FK452
    Price (fitted/unfitted): 4 Fitted and alignment front and back $1030
    Bought from: Bob Jane T Mart Shellharbour
    Size: 225/40/ZR18 92Y
    Value /10: 3
    Performance /10: 0
    Dislikes: ALOT of noise at all speeds on sealed roads, especially when rears placed on front after 10k tyre rotation due to being worn un evenly.
    Wear: Harsh wear on inside of back tyres causing the tread pattern to feather on the inside edge. Inside wear on front tyres after 10,000kms. Wheels aligned correctly when tyres fitted.
    Tyres rotated front to back during 40K service had done 10,000km. The noise from the front tyres due to the increased feathering caused when on the rear is DEAFENING. These tyres are terrible!!!
    Expected 18,000kms at present wear rate as the inside edge will be down to the belting.
    ^this. I had same issues. Will never get these again!
    Corksport SRI and TIP, 2XS LED lighting-: interior, parkers, fog lights and number plate lights, painted brake calipers (black), cPE REM, Cobb AP, Corksport front strut brace, Corksport rear sway bar, Autotech HPFP internals, Xforce cat back exhaust, Xforce DP, HPFP etune.

Model:FK452
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $259 fitted & wheel alignment included
    Bought from: Bob Jane T-Mart Gaythorne (shut down)
    Value /10: 6
    Performance /10: 5
    Likes: Better than OEM Bridgestones. Quieter than OEM tyres in my case. Seem to be lasting longer (?20-25k expected life...).
    Dislikes: Can't cope with aggressive track work - overheat quickly. They are otherwise good in dry and wet but I have only got OEM tyres to compare to.
    Wear: (how many K's out of a set, if not actual put expected but mark it as so) Expect 25k...

I note the comments about bad wear and noise. I had to go back and get a second wheel alignment after about 4 weeks - way out from when tyres installed. Have not rotated fronts to back and given comments above would probably not do so either! Not a brilliant tyre - I thought they were relatively good value = cheap = get what I paid for but live and learn....

I'll be looking at a set of Yokohama Advan 08s next time I think...as long as they can get me home on a wet and rainy night....and the budget can cope.
    Last edited by johton1971; 07-10-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    2009 Gen 2 - ECUTEK tune, downpipe, all motor mounts, K&N filter, DBA rotors and braided lines, antilift and camber correction bushes, Whiteline ARB F&R, new organic clutch (300hp), Federal 595RSRs = 189kW 420NM ATW at Mercury Motorsports Newmarket

Brand: Dunlop
    Model:SP Maxx
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $200
    Bought from: Sydney :P
    Size:235 40 18
    Value /10: 9/10 at $200
    Performance /10: 8/10
    Likes: GREAT lateral grip, predictable, tyre works well when pushed / hot, when you loose grip you can feel them fighting to get it back, comunicates well with you when your on the limit.
    Dislikes: started to get slippery when change time cant think of anything else
    Wear: Wear is great the best i got out of tyres 15000-17000ks

Brand: Pirelli Pzero
    Model: Nero
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $850
    Bought from: Sydney
    Size: 235 40 18
    Value /10: 10/10
    Performance /10: 9/10
    Likes: Good grip off the line and braking, soft side walls for comfort, quiet
    Dislikes: less grip in corner compared to the Dunlop sp maxx, pirellis feel like you driving on cheese cutters
    Wear: early days

Pirellis are about the same price as the Dunlops, i would buy the Dunlops over these. The Pirelli's squeal when pushed in a corner and roll on my 18x8.5 rims, i ran 35psi front and 30psi rear with Dunlops the pirelli im running closer to 40psi front and rear they still roll!!.. One thing the pirelli's do very well is off the line grip I can't get the traction light to come on in second with 215kwatfw 420nm all others i can rip them to pieces!!

Update! Pirellis Much less understeer, rear steps out nicely in corners which helps me get onto the power earlier running 35psi front and 38psi rear. Just had to learn the difference between the Dunlops and pirellis once i did im loving these Pirellis now Front end grip greatly increased in wet and dry (have not tryed hard braking yet)

Not liking the Pirelli as they wear im changing my mind, they dont like getting hot they loose grip in corners! If i knew what i did now i'd get the Dunlops.. Dunlops hld grip till almost worn out and work hot.. Next tyres will be Dunlops again prob the RT's 235 40 18.. If you like power off the line get the Pirellis
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 27-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Wonder how'd i go running Dunlops on the rear and Pirelli on the front :P

Brand: Kumho
    Model: KU39
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $275 corner
    Bought from: Tyrepower Melbourne
    Value /10: 9/10
    Likes: Very quiet, excellent grip in dry, seem good in wet too, car seems much more settled and "predictable" to drive. Good value all-rounder tyres.
    Dislikes: no bad points noted yet

10. Default

Brand: Federal
    Model: 595 EVO
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $220 Fitted each (bought 2 for the front)
    Bought from: Newlands Tyres - Reservoir VIC
    Value: 10/10
    Performance: 9/10 - Running about 40psi. Only tried them in the dry but excellent level of grip. As I drove from the shop I took TC/DSC off and couldn't spin them in first or second gears (no 4k launches mind you) and I am running Cobb AP stage 1. Went around some bends and the new grip was beyond my capabilities. Haven't had a go in the wet as yet (only got them a few days ago). Previous tyres scrambled for grip but were a really shitski, so they are not a really good benchmark. I've never had good tyres before but am really happy with the result, considering the price.
    Dislikes: none as yet
    Wear: Con at Newlands tyres thinks more than 40k km.

Will update as I get more driving impressions on them in various conditions. But i've finally got a tyre that matches the handling ability of the MPS (with RSB, Bilstein B8s and Kings). Will need to go back and replace the crappy rears early 2013.

11. Default

Brand: Bridgestone
    Model: Potenza Adrenalin RE002
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $245 a corner fitted (website said $269 on sale)
    Bought from: Bridgestone Wollongong
    Size: 235/40R18
    Value: 10/10
    Performance: ?/10
    Dislikes: Bit noiser than previous tyres
    Wear: Treadwear rating = 220. I only got them yesterday so I'm not sure on km yet...
    Last edited by timmy201; 24-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Brand: Dunlop
    Model:SP Maxx
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $200
    Bought from: Sydney :P
    Size:235 40 18
    Value /10: 9/10 at $200
    Likes: GREAT lateral grip, predictable, tyre works well when pushed / hot, when you loose grip you can feel them fighting to get it back, comunicates well with you when your on the limit.
    Dislikes: started to get slippery when change time cant think of anything else
    Wear: Wear is great the best i got out of tyres 15000-17000ks

Brand: Pirelli Pzero
    Model: Nero
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $850
    Bought from: Sydney
    Size: 235 40 18
    Value /10: 10/10
    Performance /10: 9/10
    Likes: Good grip off the line and braking, soft side walls for comfort, quiet
    Dislikes: less grip in corner compared to the Dunlop sp maxx, pirellis feel like you driving on cheese cutters

Pirellis are about the same price as the Dunlops, i would buy the Dunlops over these. The Pirelli's squeal when pushed in a corner and roll on my 18x8.5 rims, i ran 35psi front and 30psi rear with Dunlops the pirelli im running closer to 40psi front and rear they still roll!!.. One thing the pirelli's do very well is off the line grip I can't get the traction light to come on in second with 215kwatfw 420nm all others i can rip them to pieces!!

Update! Pirellis Much less understeer, rear steps out nicely in corners which helps me get onto the power earlier running 35psi front and 38psi rear. Just had to learn the difference between the Dunlops and pirellis once i did im loving these Pirellis now Front end grip greatly increased in wet and dry (have not tryed hard braking yet)

Not liking the Pirelli as they wear im changing my mind, they dont like getting hot they loose grip in corners! If i knew what i did now i'd get the Dunlops.. Dunlops hld grip till almost worn out and work hot.. Next tyres will be Dunlops again prob the RT's 235 40 18.. If you like power off the line get the Pirellis
    Good ol' Dunlops
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Brand: Pirelli
    Model: PZero (NOT the neros, NOT the rossos, NOT the system - the vanilla branded PZERO)
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $275 corner fitted
    Bought from: Advance Tyres Richmond
    Value /10: 9/10
    Likes: Very quiet, excellent grip in dry, great in wet too. Awesome all-rounder perfectly suited to the 6MPS which isnt as desperate for front end grip, still favours oversteer.
    Dislikes: no bad points noted yet
    Wear: early days but expected 50k

14. Default

Brand: Pirelli
    Model: PZero Nero
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $1268 fitted including balance and alignment
    Bought from: Associated Tyre Service, Warrigal Rd Cheltenham VIC
    Performance /10: 7.5 <-- will re-assess after a month or two.
    Likes: Lighter handling, road noise better than oem Dunlops, sharp corner handling. No tramlining: with the Dunlops, if I gave it a spirited run through 2nd and 3rd, it'd pull a fair bit. With these, I barely need to keep a finger on the wheel
    Dislikes: Taking a long corner at half decent speed feels almost too light - like it would break grip. Hasn't happened yet though. Haven't tested wet, obviously. Road noise as new only slightly better than original Dunlops when they were crappy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0493_zpsc55e41d0.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	13667  
    Last edited by imaspy; 10-02-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Has anyone used TOYO R1R tyres? Any feedback would be great. I am looking at BRIDGESTONE RE002 as a second option.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Has anyone used TOYO R1R tyres? Any feedback would be great. I am looking at BRIDGESTONE RE002 as a second option.
    Have a look at the kuhmo ku39 cheap and chearful , 3rd in motor thre test, smashes the dunlops and bridgestones

For individual feedback or questions please start a new thread so we don't clog up the review section.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Brand: Yokohama
    Model: Advan AD08
    Price (fitted/unfitted): about $1300 fitted
    Bought from: Tire Rack
    Size: 235/40/18
    Value /10: 7.5
    Performance /10: 8.5 Dry 6.5 Wet
    Likes: Great tyre in the dry especially for cornering. Predictable when at its' limits
    Dislikes: Wet performance is definitely not a strong point. Aquaplanes when they are close to wear indicators. Tramlining a minor issue, though I'm not sure if it is an alignment problem.
    Wear: about 25,000km. unfortunately my alignment had killed the life of the tyres

Up next, a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Oh yea....!
    Last edited by lup15; 11-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Brand: Kumho
    Model: KU31
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $220 per corner
    Bought from: TyrePower Cobram
    Size: 225/45/18
    Value /10: 9
    Performance /10: 7
    Likes: Great value tyre, way more grip than crapstones in the wet, reduced road noise
    Dislikes: A little road noise on rough chip open roads but this is to be expected
    Wear: 25,000-30,000km's if looked after and not tracked

Brand:Kinforest

Model:Cf550

Price (fitted/unfitted):$100 fitted corner

Bought from:Tyre Barn Clayton

Size: 225/45/18

Performance /10:8

Likes:Sticks well in dry n wet ,absolutely bang for buck n pretty quiet

Dislikes: none

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast