Thread: Tyre Review Thread

Brand: Kumho
    Model: KU36
    Price: about $230 per corner fitted
    Bought from: OTR Motorsports
    Size: 225/45/18
    Value /10: If you know about tirerack 6/10 if you don't 9/10 lol
    Performance: 6
    Dislikes: Everyone seems to find the dry traction of the ku36 good, but atm ever since 1/2 way through them they have been average... I get wheelspin on 1/3 throttle first gear and anything over 1/2 in second and there on the limit in 3rd gear, thats in the dry. Handling in corners is awesome but the dry traction is pretty poor from my view, maybe because they are super hot and sticky when i want to take off, but who's going to do a stand still just as the lights turn red?

I've had them on for 16,500 now and they are great on a hill climb but below par for dry straight line traction, wet is a joke too :S, 3rd on half throttle spins up and im not bullcraping lol, 4th gear on a slippery road will spin if i go to overtake when using revs above 2,700...

Not sure if its a Semi Slick thing or a Kumho thing but do you really need alot of temp in the tyres before driving enthusiastically?

Next Tyres: I'm in 2 minds about my replacements either Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec or Super Sports 225's of course.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

KU36's aren't straight line tyres. They have the wrong tread pattern for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    KU36's aren't straight line tyres. They have the wrong tread pattern for that...
    Considering my suspension is sit up for more corners then anything could you point be in the direction of straight line tyres?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

What's your budget and intended use?

Incorrect mang, im getting stung right now with this customs fee and the way they calculate it is goods + amount for freight. If its not written they will estimate it which will be a stupid price for freight (about double what you paid).

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Pretty sure it's goods only Dennis. Freight doesn't factor in
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Well that sucks. When did that change??

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I had a quick browse of the Aus Customs website last night.

As far as I can tell, the only times Customs include freight charges in total cost is a) If goods are over $1k in value, or b) If the goods arent sent by international mail.

Otherwise there shouldnt be an inclusion of freight.

Freight is absolutely NOT included in those calculations. Unless the place that shipped it wrote the total cost in the "Value of goods" field. Which would be stupid, but might explain why Customs have taken a keen interest in it.

Brand: Hankook
    Model: Ventus S1 Evo (K107)
    Price: about $290 per corner, balanced and fitted.
    Bought from: Thompson tyre and Brake - Malaga
    Size: 215/45/18
    Value /10: So Far - 7/10
    Performance: 8
    Dislikes: So far not much, a quiet tyre on road at any speed or road condition, main dislike for me is the outermost tread pattern..looks a tad campy but obviously works.
    Have had them for 2500kms so far...still look brand new and I have given them a bit of a workout, no cornering issues when pushing very hard through high speed turns and seem quite responsive even when cold.

Next Tyres: No idea....will see how long these last and how they perform with a few more km's on them.

I think the rules have changed alittle bit too hey. They also hit me with a fricken $55 customs entry or someshit which is some new rule thing they set since June/July this year... Anyway, i rung UPS today to try and get it sorted and they told me freight IS included as part of customs calculation. So who the fk knows really lol its anyones guess.. How did u buy ur AD08s if u dont mind me asking as ill be after a set soon, thinking of buying them from tyre rack as my mate that works at a tyre place said the cheapest he can do for 235 AD08s is still around 440 a corner..

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Freight is absolutely NOT included in those calculations. Unless the place that shipped it wrote the total cost in the "Value of goods" field. Which would be stupid, but might explain why Customs have taken a keen interest in it.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

I purchased some tyres from Tireack a whire ago and all went well. I'm looking to purchase some shocks and springs soon also.

As far as I'm aware and according to the the Ausstralian government there is no duty paid on items purchased at or lower than $1000.

Check out the link, and there are otherhelpful links on the page.
    When buying over the internet

Hope this helps......

Well i'll find out soon enough dunlop are at hawaii atm and will be here in 2 days so hopefully goes smoothly.

Recently fitted some FALKEN ZIEX ZE912 225/40/R18 to my GF's BK SP23.
    300+ treadwear / AA traction

The can has only travelled about 1000-15000klms on these now. Both highway and city driving, wet and dry.
    Running between 38-40psi.

What a nice tyre!!
    Smooth, Quiet, grippy in both dry and wet giving great confidence in the rain. Way too early to comment on treadwear.
    We got the Thai manufactured products as it was mentioned from a very very good Falken source that the Thai manufacturing facility is alot newer with newer manufacturing technology. Therefore the Thai products would be just as good if not better that the Japanese products. I have also noticed the Thai products slightly differ, visually, on the sidewalls from the Japanese products. They have a smooth design on the sidewalls rather than textured/patterned. Almost gives a race/semi-slick appearance.

Would highly recommend these tyres for comfort, performance, mid-range price point.
    MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
    PEDDERS SportsRyder lowered | KUMHO KU39 LeSport | OPAL Corsa 17" alloys
    CORKSPORT Short Shift plate, F&R strut brace, SRI & air duct | CUSTOM exhaust

Muzza

How much did you acquire the Falken's for?

Ok, just quickly about tirerack, i just got my Direzza's and there isn't any issue with customs the product itself was around $750AU and plus shipping just over 1k so cutoms isn't taking into account shipping as said before.

I got no extra enter custom fee's or anything.

Apparently the Fed-Ex guy said half there warehouse (VIC based) was full of tyres from them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZZA View Post

The can has only travelled about 1000-15000klms on these now. Both highway and city driving, wet and dry.

What a nice tyre!!
    Smooth, Quiet, grippy in both dry and wet giving great confidence in the rain. Way too early to comment on treadwear.
    We got the Thai manufactured products as it was mentioned from a very very good Falken source that the Thai manufacturing facility is alot newer with newer manufacturing technology. Therefore the Thai products would be just as good if not better that the Japanese products. I have also noticed the Thai products slightly differ, visually, on the sidewalls from the Japanese products. They have a smooth design on the sidewalls rather than textured/patterned. Almost gives a race/semi-slick appearance.

Would highly recommend these tyres for comfort, performance, mid-range price point.
    The sp23 is a totally different car,so I wouldn't exactly go off the experience from that to base purchases for the mps. Not saying the Tyre is bad or anything tho

Completed 45000 km on the stock Dunlop SP Sport 2050 and switched to the new Bridgestone Adrenalins RE002, and can I say, damn these tyres are good. Greater stopping power, very balanced handling both in the straights and corners, although you could face a bit of oversteer, depends on the situation.
    Now all I need is a very wet day to test them out, but if the sales pitch and reviews is anything to go by, these tyres would not let the name down.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZZA View Post

What a nice tyre!!

When I got my MPS it had the Potenzas on the rear and the Falkens ZE912 at the front already bedded in don't know how much but they were nothing to talk about unfortunately.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Brand: Kumho
    Model: KU31
    Price (fitted/unfitted): $140 each tyre fitted.
    Bought from: Shouldn't say
    Size: 225/40/18
    Value /10: 8 Cheap as really for the performance they offer.
    Performance /10: 7 lets out a bit of a squeal whilst accelerating hard though 2nd gear but there isn't a complete loss of traction or anything. Boost is not limited either
    Wet: 8 Seem good although I haven't pushed them and why would you in the wet on the road. Have done a emergency stop just to see what to expect and had no problems at all
    Likes: Value for money, wet weather performance is why I choose them over the KU36 as they are on what is essentially my wifes car.
    Dislikes: The store that fitted them. Took paint off of 2 of the 4 rims where they broke the bead to remove the tyre. Tyre pressures ranged from 39PSI to 54PSI which is ridiculous. If anyone is purchasing tyres from the sydney area I would recommend not allowing this store anywhere near your car if you must buy tyres from them and no it wasn't Tempe tyres. I have contacted the store and complained and discovered their customer service is non existant and bordering on rude. If anyone wants to know where not to get your tyres fitted PM me.
    Wear: Only done 1500km so far and they still look pretty much brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by OzCJ View Post
    Completed 45000 km on the stock Dunlop SP Sport 2050 and switched to the new Bridgestone Adrenalins RE002, and can I say, damn these tyres are good. Greater stopping power, very balanced handling both in the straights and corners, although you could face a bit of oversteer, depends on the situation.
    Now all I need is a very wet day to test them out, but if the sales pitch and reviews is anything to go by, these tyres would not let the name down.
    If you don't mind me asking..what did it cost per corner fitted ?
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast