User Tag List

Thread: Installing a 7" GPS in a 6 MPS

Default Installing a 7" GPS in a 6 MPS

Does anyone know how to remove the lid from the centre box in the dash (without destroying it)?
    The box is a perfect fit for a 7" gps unit.

you have to have the centre console un-installed from the car first - follow this how to:

Mazda6 - Remove the Center Console

Once out, there are two pins fitting either side of the lid - you need to get these pins out with some needle nose pilers.

The lid can then be removed.

Moved to Electronics forum bit more relevant there

Thumbs up

Can a moderator please change the thread title to "Installing a 7" GPS in a 6 MPS". Thank you.

Ok. For those with a 6 MPS wanting a neat and tidy 7" GPS system, here is what I did.

I purchased a 7" GPS from Ebay (specifically from eBay My World - helomolto ). It was $255 (including postage). The unit itself seems to work ok (I like the touch screen).
    It came with a few arms and brackets so that it can be attached to the windscreen. I wanted to use the compartment box on the dash. After fiddling around with the unit, and all the attachments, and the compartment box, and looking at all the ways I could fabricate brackets and other stuff, I came up with a much simpler and easier way of getting the unit to sit in the box.

The unit itself fits inside the box quite snuggly (once you know how to get it in), but it's not secure. I figured all I would have to do is to put something behind the unit to make it secure. After more fiddling around, I realised that it was just not practical to put anything in AFTER the gps is in the box, and putting in something before the gps was in made it hard to get the gps in. Then it hit me... FOAM!

I went out to Clark Rubber and bought a piece of hard foam. Cut it to size, placed it in the box, then pushed the gps unit into the box. Fits perfectly and doesn't move when driving.

If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can make a short video.

Quote Originally Posted by Starionx View Post
    Can a moderator please change the thread title to "Installing a 7" GPS in a 6 MPS". Thank you.
    Title changed
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Hey im interested in the short video as want to do this myself...let me know how it goes..thanks mate

I'll see what I can do.