User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What! CEL after CP-e downpipe install.

finally read the info on the cruise im attending on sunday and gotta be out doncaster by 10am, so depending on when that finishes perhaps we meet up after closer to the city?

CP-E state no CEL so it shouldnt matter if catted or not.................im running catless dp and no cel

we'll DH your car so dont reset ecu if you can help it

To the best of my knowledge the cp-e no CEL guarantee only covered the catted DPs, the system should throw a fault code if no second cat is present, thats why extensions, or elbows on the second o2 sensor will fool the ECU into thinking the cat is still there, as it removes the sensor from the main exhaust stream slightly.

3. Default

I have a catted DP And still have CEL.

4. Default

Thanks to Krnage i was able to meet up and hook up a dashhawk to my car and retrieved the error code :P0140 -O2 circuit sensor no activity bank1 sensor2.

Does this mean 1. The second o2 sensor is faulty.
    2. The wiring was damaged during install.
    3. All is working and the dp might be the issue?

Thanks heaps to Karnage for going out of his way to meet up.

I would guess the sensor, or the associated wiring has had the carrot, typically a DP related CEL shows that the second cat is reading out of its normal range. I dont know how or if these sensors can be tested, or if they are just considered a throw away item.

1) Put car on hoist or similar
    2) start car/Clear CEL
    3) wiggle wiring to the second o2 sensor.
    4) Check for CEL
    5,6,7,8,9) if this did not show a fault, unplug it the sensor, rescan for codes to confirm that the same code has been thrown (which I'm pretty sure it will)
    This will confirm an intermittent open circuit (broken/fractured wire).

Im unsure if these can be repaired also.. I guess it depends on where the break in continuity has occurred. Lets just hope its right near the plug, or they have pushed a pin in when doing the install. Hence an intermittent signal. Disappointing to see you gave them a working car and got it back in not such a manner.

Good luck

Doc

7. Default

ok, that error appears when the heater element of the second o2 sensor is damaged

best thing to do is drive the car with a dashhawk in, monitoring the second o2 sensor voltage

it should read 20mv, and will never go over that value even after driving for 20minutes

if that is the case, then check the grey and white wires that go into either end of the harness for the o2 sensor, ie, the harness for the sensor, and the harness that it connects to

because the cpe bung is slightly further back than stock, the wires can come loose from the harness due to the low slack in the wiring, so you will need to use superglue to fix the wires to the harness - to give it a bit more slack, don't clip the wire to the slot that holds it in place and let it dangle

you have to drive for several minutes for warm up the sensor (via exhaust and heater element) before you get an accurate reading, which will be about 800mv at idle for that downpipe and cat on a gen 1
    Last edited by kagerou; 24-05-2010 at 05:34 PM.

8. Default

hey guys,

Just a quick one, as it has been referred acouple of times within this post and i cant found it out but what is a CEL? Whats it stand for and how do i identify that i have one?

Cheers

check engine light

you'll have the CEL illuminated on your instrument lighting

the amber light that illuminates when you have the accessories on.. but not the engine running

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    check engine light

you'll have the CEL illuminated on your instrument lighting

the amber light that illuminates when you have the accessories on.. but not the engine running
    Thanks for that! Have always been reading it but never knew what it meant.

Cheers

no worries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12