User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What! CEL after CP-e downpipe install.

1. Default What! CEL after CP-e downpipe install.

I had the Cp-e downpipe fitted today. Drove for around 30 km and no problems. Then i start it and CEL pops up and stays on after multiple starts.

Had a think and could see they didn't disconnect the battery as the clock, radio hadn't changed. So i reset the ECU and no CEL present.

Sooo, do you guys think it was just cause the ecu wasn't reset? The main reason for choosing this dump was cause of the guarantee of no CEL. Will it come back? Guess i will wait and see.

KCCORTEZ, Yes. You've got to res-set the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Dunno how they fitted it up without disconnecting the battery anyway, quite apart from it being a dumb thing to not do, given the potential for a short.

I wonder if they dropped the engine mounts to move the engine forward to get more room to work. Check. Damned hard to fit up if you don't, if not impossible, mainly related to getting the old DP out (from the top) and/or cat heat shields off, unless they cut it out with a gas axe. Do you have your old DP and cats to examine?

It is helpful to disconnect the sensor leads from their plugs (under the turbo inlet pipe) so as to not twist the leads, so I hope they didn't mess them up for you. Have a close look at them, and check they got all the heat shields back in and the top lead not getting incinerated by being left loose or too close to the manifold and turbo.

Assuming the rest of the fit-up was OK and sensors and leads not damaged, you should be clear of CEL's now.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Possibly...got access to a Dashhawk or Scangauge to read the error code? They're invaluable for this sort of thing and almost a 'must have' if you want to be modding, would give you the answer very quickly,

4. Default

Cheers Doug. They installed my cp-e enginge mount at the same time so i presume they did. Yeah have the old TBE and all looks ok. Am hoping it just needed to be reset, i too am very suprised they didn't dissconnet the battery.

And will definitely get a dashhawk when i can.

I'll let you know if it come back on.

Its not an ECU reset issue.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

What throws the CEL is the second 02 sensor. There is no learning what so ever from this sensor.
    It would most likely be the cat inefficiency code.

You can always have the DP modded ever so slightly if this is indeed throwing codes.. far from a big job. But its not the point, the whole idea is for it not to throw any codes.

Lets just hope that it was a burn off process (from the manufacturing process of the cat).

Keep us updated

Doc

Interesting DOC. Mine fired up immediately with no CELs. It spat and farted for a few minutes then settled down fine.

Yeah im only stabbing in the dark.. otherwise youll need to add a sparkplug de-fouler on the second o2 sensor..

See how it goes...

whats your location? there might be someone in that area who has a dashhawk

does the down pipe have a cat? if it doesn't then you increase your chances of getting a CEL, if it does, then you're one of the unlucky ones who got a CEL

as Doc said, you'll have to use the spark plug defouler trick

or, it could be that the second o2 sensor was damaged or not put in properly, and you a getting an error code because they arent reading

how long after you started it the second time till you got the CEL? if it was straight away, then i dont think its the cat inefficiency error

only way to find out, find a dashhawk to get the error code, and the second o2 sensor voltage

Happy to help out with Dashhawk if you're southern Brisbane or Gold Coast, I reckon you definitely need to read the code. Saves stabbing in the dark.

10. Default

i'm in north melbourne, if anyone is not to far i would't mind to travel to you. Where can i get a dashhawk or maybe a dashdaq, and pricing?

Got the CEL straight on startup, hasn't come on today and hopefully never again.
    What is the spark plug defouler trick? Couldn't find anything on here.

Apart from the slight trouble the improvement in response is amazing! The sound is also brilliant and lots of pops when decelerating. Now ready to tune my standback!

thats interesting.. mine doesnt pop on decel.. its just growls.

im sure if you punch it into Google.. or have a look on mazdaspeedforums.org youll find something. It basically just extends the second sensor even further away from the exhaust gas path.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

There are better ways to do it... but without having an exhaust guy fab you something up.. this is your best bet

12. Default

Well my CEL popped up today on the freeway. I'm taking it in for a service tomorrow so i'll get him to check it out.

Really disappointed that i got one after being guarantied it wouldn't come up. Maybe one of the sensors are not installed properly or maybe damaged on install?

Bugger.

lets hope not.

If the sensor was damaged.. the light would come on instantly.

take it to an exhaust shup and have them put an 02 extender on it.

It wont cost you too much

14. Default

Thats what i thought doc. It only comes on after 30km or so of driving after i reset the ECU. Would this mean that the sensors are ok and its to do with the downpipe? i'll see what my mechanic says and then might put an o2 extender on it.

Yup..

it may be just how the second o2 bung is situated. Maybe a bad batch of CPe DP's.. no idea. They must be using some sort of extender to not get a CEL, as the cat is only a little fella.

Only thing I would check is to make sure the second o2 sensor is in the bung tightly. if there is a leak there. it will throw a code. Long story.. but trust me im not talking out of my hat

16. Default

Well just got the car back from mechanic and double checked with an exhaust shop and all sensors, leads and install is 100%. both confirm it's the dump pipe. Any sugestions? Don't want to spend more money if it's garunteed to work.

where are you located?

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I have PM'd you all the details you will need
    Last edited by Doc; 23-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.

kccortez: ive been really busy with work and being up in sydney so havent checked here, but you can check on my DH if your coming around Monday?
    otherwise im heading out for a cruise on Sunday, so perhaps early morning we can meet up?

As above, resetting the ECU only turn off the CEL for a period of time, it will come back for sure just a matter of time. Lets check the CEL code on my DH then go from there

Just to rule out the obvious, it is a catted downpipe isnt it ?

20. Default

Hey Krnage, Forgot to reply but workin at my cafe all day monday. Sunday might be possible, i'll let you know and maybe i can come to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast