User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creaking noise coming from front end

Default Creaking noise coming from front end

Ive got this awful creaking noise coming from the front end somewhere every time i pull up at lights, and then when i take off again, also when turning into driveways and up ramps. AMR mazda have failed to find the problem after 4 specific visits, strut mount bearings were replaced on 3rd visit, everything has been re-tightend, creaking is still there!! the last visit, mazda found that the front shocks were leaking and they suggested that the struts were most likely causing the noise, however they werent willing to replace as warranty had just run out! regardless of the fact that the car had been back and forth with them over the last 6 months trying to find the problem!! Right now the creaking is gettint worse, so im going to replace the struts in the next few weeks but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and could maybe shed some light on the area??

clicking/creaking.. under acceleration and deceleration?

I had this issue.. click click click and I had my splines inside the hub lubricated, all gone now.. maybe this may be your issue..

Doc

i probably sound a bit silly here, but which hub are you talking about exactly?

the wheel hub..

where the splined drive shaft goes into it... mine was all corroded to heck..

greased and no worries now...

yeh ok, cheers for that, will definitly look into it......

I think I might have the same problem there mate.

Although we have different cars, I've got the MPS6. The noise I hear appears to come from the front left suspension. It usually occurs when I turn right (placing a load on the left suspension) at a higher speed or there is a bump in the road, speed humps, driveways (worse when entering at angle angle and you get multiple "click" noises. I haven't noticed the noise under throttle or de acceleration so I believe it may be suspension related, seeing as the noise only seems to happen when the vehicle shifts its weight around.

Myself and a couple of mates just installed King Springs last night on my ride. Having thought taking all the suspension out (loosening and removing relating bolts) and refitting the new springs and tightening suspension back in place would solve the problem. Fail! I'm still running the stock shocks on my car and the front left appeared to have a bit of grease on the surface, although could not find a source for a possible leak. I know most if not all the nuts and bolts (suspension related) are now tight having checked them last night when we put the new Springs in. As I plan to find the source of the click and fix the problem, my thoughts are, shock absorbers, possibly have a look at the CV joint and although DOC suggested having the splines greased I don't experience any problems accelerating in a straight line but for good measure I might look into that suggestion just to be sure on my ride, can't hurt. I have yet to replace strut bearings as it seems like you've had more work done on your car to eliminate this problem than I. In the back of my mind I'm thinking new shock absorbers (which would be better than stock) might be on the cards.

If I'm able to find the problem before you do, I'll PM you

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

yeh ur symptoms sound very similar to mine, its as if the weight of the car shifting around when manouvering into parks and wat not causes the creaking noise, if i reverse and turn full lock left to right to left etc it really gets the creaking noise going! im gonna do the struts in the next week or 2 and failing that ill be getting the splines lubed as suggested by Doc, will keep you posted through this thread, cheers for ur input...

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I think I might have the same problem there mate.

Although we have different cars, I've got the MPS6. The noise I hear appears to come from the front left suspension. It usually occurs when I turn right (placing a load on the left suspension) at a higher speed or there is a bump in the road, speed humps, driveways (worse when entering at angle angle and you get multiple "click" noises. I haven't noticed the noise under throttle or de acceleration so I believe it may be suspension related, seeing as the noise only seems to happen when the vehicle shifts its weight around.

Myself and a couple of mates just installed King Springs last night on my ride. Having thought taking all the suspension out (loosening and removing relating bolts) and refitting the new springs and tightening suspension back in place would solve the problem. Fail! I'm still running the stock shocks on my car and the front left appeared to have a bit of grease on the surface, although could not find a source for a possible leak. I know most if not all the nuts and bolts (suspension related) are now tight having checked them last night when we put the new Springs in. As I plan to find the source of the click and fix the problem, my thoughts are, shock absorbers, possibly have a look at the CV joint and although DOC suggested having the splines greased I don't experience any problems accelerating in a straight line but for good measure I might look into that suggestion just to be sure on my ride, can't hurt. I have yet to replace strut bearings as it seems like you've had more work done on your car to eliminate this problem than I. In the back of my mind I'm thinking new shock absorbers (which would be better than stock) might be on the cards.

If I'm able to find the problem before you do, I'll PM you
    Well i just had all 4 struts replaced yesterday and as i pulled out of the workshop carpark - creak creak creak!! so its not the struts causing that noise either!!? dammit! next ill be trying wat Doc suggested and gettin my splines lubed....

Sorry to hear about that. Not good news when you just replaced those parts. I'm still getting the same noise. Still have the idea to mention it to the mechanic next time I get it serviced. If anything can be arranged, decided or fixed I will definitely chase you up on the results. I still believe it is suspension related, but in the back of my mind I'm also thinking there could be a slight chance of chassis twist or flex causing the "click" noise? I wonder if (money aside) you replaced the Full suspension (Coilovers) Got a front and rear strut brace fitted and also modified front and rear sway bars if that would work? Keep in mind that to do this, would require all the necessary nuts and bolts taken off and re tightened. The struts you had replaced mate, are they stock Mazda ones? Yeah give Doc's idea a shot and see how you go

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Sorry to hear about that. Not good news when you just replaced those parts. I'm still getting the same noise. Still have the idea to mention it to the mechanic next time I get it serviced. If anything can be arranged, decided or fixed I will definitely chase you up on the results. I still believe it is suspension related, but in the back of my mind I'm also thinking there could be a slight chance of chassis twist or flex causing the "click" noise? I wonder if (money aside) you replaced the Full suspension (Coilovers) Got a front and rear strut brace fitted and also modified front and rear sway bars if that would work? Keep in mind that to do this, would require all the necessary nuts and bolts taken off and re tightened. The struts you had replaced mate, are they stock Mazda ones? Yeah give Doc's idea a shot and see how you go
    na not stock struts this time, i jus had 4 Bilsteins B8's installed, has made an amazing improvement to ride quality and handling, will be lowering it with some Eibach springs after my epic drive to Darwin in 6 weeks time, and yeh hopefully i can sort out this creaking noise before the drive! id appreciate any info u mite come across and vice versa, ill be booking my car in to get the splines lubed proly next week some time so ill keep u posted aswell... cheers mate...

I agree with the chassis flex theory, my 3 has just started to creek when slowly turning up onto my driveway almost sounds like its coming from the windscreen. creek creek as both wheels go up and now the centre console/cd/somewhre up there is making the same noise !!! driving me nuts. any tips on those noises would help, hate taking it to mazda for noises !!!!!!!!

I was pulling into my driveway and as I went up the kerb I heard a "click" so, travelling forward at about 5kmph, I pulled the wheel left to right to left etc quickly... "Click" happened every time. It's hard to pin because sometimes I hear it over bumps travelling in a straight line (theory - suspension related), sometimes when I'm turning the wheel from left to right or right to left (steering related? Possibly doc's comment ^ up there) Told dad about it to see if he had any ideas. Drove on the road, but with the left side hanging off the road (off-road, bumpy) ...not a sound! ! This was a test travelling at about 45kmph, bumpy as hell but no noise. I'm getting a strut brace soon, I very much doubt it will eliminate the noise but I'll keep you posted if it makes some change. In my case the noise is almost definitely coming from the front left. My thoughts are either SUSPENSION, CV JOINT, DRIVE SHAFT, OR STEERING RELATED. To a lesser extend chassis related but unlikely.

Hey Matt (kookie), can you say the noise is front left/right or not sure? Also is your ride (suspension) stock? So I take it the noise only happens over bumps? Does this occur at shopping centre parking lots (speed bumps etc?) Let us know if mazda finds/fixes the problem and how you go

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Guys I just found this...(see link below) Have a read and see what you think?

Mazda6 front suspension creak HELP *UPDATE* - MotoIQ - MotoIQ - Forums - Technical Area, motoIQ is about geeks and for geeks, here ya go, a geeks playground - Maintenance, Repairs, DIY, Low Buck Mods

M P S

the first noise - the noise for me is directly in the middle, its a very slow creak noise which sounds like its coming from where the front defrost air comes from etc. but the second noise sounds like its coming from the cd input, that noise happens when driving down a straight relatively flat road.

mine definitely seems more interior then engine related I think, I think the canberra cold weather also might have something to do with it.

Expansion of the dash? I wonder if there is something that has come loose on the console then? Does not sound like an engine mount or suspension problem or anything. Your A/C still runs fine I take it? Not anything to do with the gas piping? I'm just guessing mate, not sure what problem you may have there. Try and see if you can replicate the sound somehow? See if that helps

check the plastic trim on front of the windscreen.. mine creaked for a while..

lower windscreen plastic trim

Doc

yeah I think I'll have to do a bit mroe investigating, I try and ignore it out of frustration. I'll try the area you mentioned doc. thanks for the help guys!!

17. Default

yeh Matt I have noticed my car get a little squeaky in the dash over the past week with the nearly zero temps

I was pulling into my driveway and as I went up the kerb I heard a "click" so, travelling forward at about 5kmph, I pulled the wheel left to right to left etc quickly... "Click" happened every time. It's hard to pin because sometimes I hear it over bumps travelling in a straight line (theory - suspension related), sometimes when I'm turning the wheel from left to right or right to left (steering related? Possibly doc's comment ^ up there) Told dad about it to see if he had any ideas. Drove on the road, but with the left side hanging off the road (off-road, bumpy) ...not a sound! ! This was a test travelling at about 45kmph, bumpy as hell but no noise. I'm getting a strut brace soon, I very much doubt it will eliminate the noise but I'll keep you posted if it makes some change. In my case the noise is almost definitely coming from the front left. My thoughts are either SUSPENSION, CV JOINT, DRIVE SHAFT, OR STEERING RELATED. To a lesser extend chassis related but unlikely.

Hey Matt (kookie), can you say the noise is front left/right or not sure? Also is your ride (suspension) stock? So I take it the noise only happens over bumps? Does this occur at shopping centre parking lots (speed bumps etc?) Let us know if mazda finds/fixes the problem and how you go

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Guys I just found this...(see link below) Have a read and see what you think?

Mazda6 front suspension creak HELP *UPDATE* - MotoIQ - MotoIQ - Forums - Technical Area, motoIQ is about geeks and for geeks, here ya go, a geeks playground - Maintenance, Repairs, DIY, Low Buck Mods

ive been monitoring the creak in my car intensly over the last few days and it is most definitly coming from the front left of the car, also it seems to be worse when the car is cold (early in the mornings)
    having jus read the link to the mazda 6 forum above, that description is exactly wat my 3 is suffering! a good idea i came acrosss out of that forum was the sub-frame bolts being loose, im gonna get my car up on jackstands in the morning and suss out them bolts, THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING LOOSE SOMEWHERE TO MAKE THIS NOISE!!! its driving me nuts!!! any findings i have i will report back here....

Success at last!!! my creaking noise is now gone!!! got the car up on stands today and started checking all sub frame bolts and any other bolts that were linked to the suspension and steering and found on the P/Side 2 bolts that i got about 3/4 of a turn out of each.
    Im kicking myself for leaving it so long to get under for a look myself as ive relied on my mazda dealer and the fact that out of the 5-6 times my car has been in to get this creak sussed - according mazda they checked and rechecked and tightened everything it could possibly be... twice!!! then they started replacing parts and all along it seems that no-one at mazda really did check and tighten all the associated bolts at all!!!
    So my lesson has been learned, do not rely on wat ur dealer says when u have a problem thats hard to locate, my dealer was full of shit!!!
    but on a happier note im so pleased to now drive without hearing that freakin awful creak that has been bugging me for nearly 2 years!!!
    tomoro i will get under the car again and take photos showing exactly which bolts i found loose for anyone else who mite have the same problem and ill post them here.
    Happy days.....

Many thanks for the post and a Congratulations is in order! I must say that is very disappointing but I am not surprised in the least that the mechanic did not assess the problem correctly. I hate the way they have a checklist and they just scroll down the page and tick all the boxes, all whilst the apprentice works on your car and neglects to actually complete each step they you so generously pay for. Why not make the service a quarter of the price since you only get quarter of the service? I'm glad that you figured out the problem mate. I was gonna post the other day that when jacking up my car, when the wheel left the ground (left side) I heard that same "click" you know how the camber pulls in ever so slightly when you take the load off. So that got me thinking...

Hopefully this weekend I will have the time to do the same. If you got any photo's handy that would be great to post them up. For a qualified mechanic it not hard to do what you've figured out, even after you requested all the bolts be tightened! I would consider complaining and going somewhere else. I think you're wasting time and money at your current place getting your car serviced! So I guess you can enjoy the Bilsteins B8 just that little bit more knowing your wheel isn't likely to fall off!

Cheers mate (If I do get a chance this weekend and I do fix it, I'll post my findings also)

M P S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast