User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITCHING for a front lip (mazda 6 mps)

Default ITCHING for a front lip (mazda 6 mps)

Is it just me who's itching for a front lip for the mazda 6 mps?
    Anyone wanting one?
    It'd be good to get a group buy happening.

The autoexe front lips are ok, anyone else seen anything else good looking for the mazdaspeed 6?

2. Default

yeah i wouldn't mind getting one but haven't seen any

they look great!.....

Untill you drive into a driveway and leave it behind.

Found these awhile ago, posted for another member (Royee) don't know if he followed anything up

Another link Rubber Garage Door Lip

Lip for MS6 - Mazdaspeed Forums

How-To: Home Depot (HD) Lip - Mazda Forums

Streetunit CF Lip

MS6 carbon fiber lip - StreetUnitForum.com

Hope this helps, I like the idea of the rubber one, low cost and easily replacable!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Jeez, my front lip is only 11cm above the road already........

Seriously though, if you take the under tray off, you'll see that the lower part directs quite a bit of cooling air up toward the radiators. Judging from the photo's in Chris's links, the rubber lip extension appears to block this part of the air inlet. The autoexe appears to keep it open.

Looks like a small opening:

But when you zoom in you can see it picks up a lot of air:

Probably best not to block it.

Gone to Volvo

That area for air pick up, is that this area that i've circled?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air2..jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	3638
    I'm planning to get something fabricated through a custom shop.
    I'm looking at something like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mazda3mps..jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	3639
    I'll get it mounted underneath that circled area, especially if that's where air comes in.

Spot on. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Actually a closer look at the "Garage Door Lip" image, seems to indicate that the air intake remains open, interesting, if you're happy with the black this may be a lower cost alternative, though no idea where to buy this stuff in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    though no idea where to buy this stuff in Australia
    I'm contemplating having a crack at the rubber seal idea. Possibly Clark Rubber or Bunnings might have something similar. I'm sure its not only used for garage doors (I have a mate in the business so he might have some anyway) Dad's a tradesman and I'm sure has seen the likes of rubber seals etc at some point. Possibly a plumbing place might have rubber seals of all sizes? Might stop in and see what they got at Clark Rubber over the weekend. Seems to be the better option than the $1000+ Front Lip on MPS Garage. At least if it doesn't look good or you're not happy with it, just take it off and throw it in the bin, a loss of a couple of bucks.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey rog wick, good idea.
    Please take photos later to show us.
    The rubber seal doesn't look like it would hold up with 3 m double sided tape though, especially on 100km+ speeds on the freeway.
    Good luck!

Ok here's what I found at Clark Rubber.

The first image of a product called "Fender2" is around $17 a meter. It's fairly rigid so unlikely to flex much, however it will be hard to bend (along its width) and manipulate the contours and curves of the bumper. Not sure on the dimensions on this but I would say its around 100mm wide X 10mm thick (length can be whatever - cut to length)

The two second images are "Sponge rubber" Not as rigid as the first but for around $10 a meter (give or take) it's not too bad. Specifically the second image dimensions are 70mm wide X 10mm thick and the third image dimensions are 50mm wide X 13mm thick. Ideally what I was looking for was a combination of the two being approximately 70-90mm wide X 13-15mm thick. Although this sponge rubber is not rigid I would think you could place self drilling screws into the underside of the existing lip at no more than 200mm spacing between intervals which will give it some added rigidity. In addition a possible hard plastic strip could be stuck/fixed/glued or nailed to the underside of the bumper enhancing rigidity further.

In any case with each of these selections I would be inclined to fit it (not fix it in place) first, have a look, and possibly sand? or give a smooth edge to the front side to make it look more like a sharp lip (rather than a rectangular edge piece of rubber).

Note: Given what I saw last night at Clark Rubber, I think a better, more-suited product can be found elsewhere (See Chris-Shakespear's image). Also as Mal suggested the underside vane that supply's air upward towards to radiator, I don't see it being a problem as I had a look and I believe the Lip would fit underneath that plastic Vane, leaving air flow unaffected.

Got a busy weekend planned but if I get a chance I'll look into it further
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00178..jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	3640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00177..jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	3641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00175..jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	3642  

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey guys,
    went to a custom body shop.
    They wanted to charge me 800 bucks for a front lip.
    Reason being that they have to create a mould for me, and they'll only be using it for my car.
    Different story if it was for a common car.

With that amount of money i'd rather get an auto exe replica, or the real thing of course.

No longer looking for a custom made option.
    Happy to join someone in doing a group buy. But then, the thought that it's fiberglass and will be shipped from overseas where you'll have to wait 4 weeks+ is a bit of a turn off. Especially if something goes wrong (eg. crack or lost in transit).

Looking forward to the rubber seal lip and the results on that.

Hey mate,

$800 Is a little pricey but you get that being a custom job. Maybe a WRX would be cheaper?

Another thing with the group buy idea and being a fibreglass part hope it doesn't get damaged in transit. Then you have a fight on your hands to get someone to pay damages. And there's the wait.

An update on the rubber seal idea. I've put an order through for this (see link below) I've just received shipping confirmation and if all goes well it should arrive tomorrow or this week anyway. Most of the money was spent in shipping, as you will see the rubber seal itself isn't that pricey. Not sure about installing this weekend (providing it arrives this week) will have to coordinate what I'm up to. I'll most likely post a pic if I'm happy with the result if/when I install it for you and others to have a squiz and possibly consider doing the same cheap option.

For your info...
    Amazon.com: Frost King G16 Nail-On Rubber Garage Door Bottom Seal, 2-1/4-Inch by 16-Foot, Black: Home Improvement

M P S

Hi Rog, Let me know when your doing the install and i'll come and help

Yep sure Toddy, I should get the part tomorrow, if that is the case, I see myself with a cup of coffee supervising you do the install early Saturday morning

If its early then you better bring me a Tea. Black, no sugar

Thanks

Are you guys in melbourne?
    i'd love to drive and see the car once installed.
    cheers.

Sorry mate we're in Perth.

I'm sure Rog will put some pics up once its done

Sixteen feet should be enough to do two or three cars. Perhaps I should come along too?

What kind of nails are you going to use?

As Toddy mentioned we're in Perth, but as it would seem, we're starting a business of custom Front Lip installs. Just come over and we'll look after you and fit it for a cool price of $385.00 + GST lol kidding. Mal, in response to your query by my rough calcs 16' would be enough to complete 2.7 Front lips. Depending on how much it sticks out or the likelihood of it scratching or simply ripping off, I may want to keep a spare strip. I was originally going to purchase the identical 9' one (as seen in the Shakespeare's link) but that would only be enough to fully complete one lip and have a large off cut which would be of no use really.

The rubber was due to arrive today, but last time I checked was still in Phoenix US so estimated delivery is Friday now. If that is the case then this weekend would most likely be on the cards for an install sometime, if you're free you're welcome to come and join Toddy and I. The rubber does come with nails, but I was also thinking of self drilling screws, silicone, and a few other ideas that may hold better than simple nails. May have to visit Bunnings!

6mps (sorry didn't get your name) I know you're keen on the idea so if you like, send me your private email address (probably off this forum) like hotmail or gmail and I'll send you larger images from a decent camera to give you an idea once it's installed?

M P S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast