User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMPS View Post
    I have to say that i am impressed with Tims ability to want to resolve the issue rather than say a blanket "its not the fault of the SRI".

I have found this refreshing in todays world.

I hope it can be resolved coz I'm saving up to get one
    ...+1
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Does anyone with an SRI (not an MZR one) have a CEL appear yet?

What does the CEL code mean:

The code is a MAF Sensor Circuit Malfunction. It is triggered when the MAF readings are out of scale for longer than 8 seconds. While a number of failure modes can generate this code, the times we have been able to replicate it in our shop or have seen it on customer vehicles are based on the following issues:

1. Unplugged MAF Sensor resulting in readings by the ECU that are out of range (low).

2. Downstream vacuum leaks (Loose T-Bolt Clamps, disconnected valvecover breather or boost control solenoid hose).

3. On vehicles that are equipped with one of the first units we sold or with customer installed air diffusers, the diffuser may be loose and requires a few dabs of RTV to secure it into the MAF housing.

4. Loose intercooler or throttle body connections resulting in a boost/vacuum leak (that was the second customers issue that we've seen).

Depending on the failure mode and duration of runtime with the leak, a P0171 lean at idle code may be thrown by the ECU as well.
    Last edited by 2XS; 20-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    took the sri off ,cleared the cel,put the stock airbox back on ,took for a good drive and no cel....100% sri the clamp was as stated above ,sitting over past the lip.... all clamps were tight breather was tight dont know what else to check ..pretty simple mod .. used to be a apprentice mechanic back in the day..i have mechanical knowlage..
    It sounds like you've done all you can mate. I'll send you a PM
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

4. Default

has anyone actually confirmed that the MAF sensor is exactly the same on both the gen 1 and 2?

maybe the gen 2 MAF doesn't sit properly on the housing? and air is leaking out

just putting it out there...

I just find this strange as their are two GEN II's that have that same Intake as mine "MZR" and have no issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    I just find this strange as their are two GEN II's that have that same Intake as mine "MZR" and have no issues?
    What month and year do you have Brackaus?
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Default Re: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

Um.. August 2009.. I think.

Just a quick update....
    'Fillo' has been able to reset his CEL and it hasn't returned after two days of driving.
    'Dessa' is sending his intake back to me for inspection and testing.
    'Oldhead' is still getting CEL intermittantly but performance doesn't appear to be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    Just a quick update....
    'Fillo' has been able to reset his CEL and it hasn't returned after two days of driving.
    'Dessa' is sending his intake back to me for inspection and testing.
    'Oldhead' is still getting CEL intermittantly but performance doesn't appear to be affected.
    Incorrect Tim. Oldhead is not getting intermittent , CEL reset on fitting day and has not returned since approx 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Phil :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    'fillo' contacted me this morning. He has a CEL after a week. OLDHEAD contacted me yesterday. He also has a CEL now but I believe he might have been getting them before the intake install. None of the GEN 1 owners or early GEN 2 owners have had a CEL. The one thing that's in common with these 3 vehicles is that they are all new and have low kms.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Another case

'10 Mazda 3 Sport CEL Code P0462 - 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Dessa and oldhead are both from Melbourne. fillo is from NSW. Has the temperature dropped down south in the last couple of days guys? Seems like these CEL's have all come up within a couple of days of one another.
    Best Customer Service there Tim ! Good to see someone selling items online and actually backing the products they sell and not passing the buck.

Personally I've seen these units up close and actually see them working fine on various MPS's around me and am sure what ever the problem, it will be an easy fix.

I will shortly been installing one of these on my Nissan GTiR (baby godzilla) so I have tones of faith in Tim and all his products.

..... Just my 2 cents worth. . . .
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

12. Default

I'll add to the list Tim has been quite helpful my Cels come and go power doesn't change havnt been able to see a trend yet.

Hey Fat cat, what sort of car u got. if u dont mind. Trying to get a complete handle on this erratic prob.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
    I'll add to the list Tim has been quite helpful my Cels come and go power doesn't change havnt been able to see a trend yet.
    I do feel somewhat helpless in that I'm unable to assist in person. I've installed intakes on 4 Gen 1's and 1 Gen 2 here in Cairns but none have triggered CEL's so there hasn't been any need to troubleshoot physically. We've read on other forums that owners have been able to eliminate CEL's triggered after intake install by tightening loose turbo inlet pipes or other components of the intake system. I'm Still waiting to receive one of the units that has triggered a CEL for testing. I'm hoping I am able to reproduce the circumstances in which a CEL is triggered so to better understand why this is occuring in such a random fashion.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

15. Default

I have a CEL again
    It was fine for a week and has now returned.....
    suggestions please guys ??
    (sorry Tim, not what you wanted to hear)

sorry tim im busy with work..will send asap ..sorry for the delay

I wish I could find the link.. but i cant..

It was posted from Jason@corksport on MSF.org

it basically said that with an identical intake the Gen 1's were going to about +7% LTFT, however the gen 2's were going to 18% LTFT. Meaning different computer calculations, and putting it very close to the +/-20% LTFT CEL triggering territory. Add colder slower moving, more dense air.. and bing.. +20% and a CEL.

I still think if the air straighteners leading edge is curved slightly from [ to this (, this will get most if not all out of trouble.,. as it will speed up the airflow over the maf.. hence lowering the positive LTFT number and getting you further away from LTFT induced CEL's

Just my 2c.. take it or leave it.

Doc

18. Default

hmmmm....... cel went off for about an hour then came back on today. what does this mean? is this bad for the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I wish I could find the link.. but i cant..

It was posted from Jason@corksport on MSF.org

it basically said that with an identical intake the Gen 1's were going to about +7% LTFT, however the gen 2's were going to 18% LTFT. Meaning different computer calculations, and putting it very close to the +/-20% LTFT CEL triggering territory. Add colder slower moving, more dense air.. and bing.. +20% and a CEL.

I still think if the air straighteners leading edge is curved slightly from [ to this (, this will get most if not all out of trouble.,. as it will speed up the airflow over the maf.. hence lowering the positive LTFT number and getting you further away from LTFT induced CEL's

Just my 2c.. take it or leave it.

Doc
    I understand. So if you are correct the sensor is not registering enough air passing through the housing.
    Will thinner air straighteners have the same effect as curving the leading edge? Maybe I could modify one of these and send it to Fillo to test? What about the distance between the straighteners and the sensors? How would this affect the reading?

Doc - I will forward your post to the pipe manufacturer to see if he agrees with this theory
    Fillo - From what I understand this should not be doing any damage to your vehicle at all.
    Last edited by DISIMS3; 28-04-2010 at 04:16 PM.

negative. well not as well as a well shaped straightener.

They just need to have a curve on the leading edge.. It would take 15 mins tops to perform. Someone send me one, and Ill do it. What do you have to loose?

Doc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast