User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

We have four of the major brands of intake with what appears to be the same symptom in the US. Reading the Mazdaspeed forum it seems this is occuring in roughly around 30% percent of cases. There are (I think) 8 MZR intakes installed on GEN 2's here. Possibly more than other brands? Which would explain (I hope) why these are the first instances reported.

Given the shear difference if population and how new the model is it's not suprising this concern was raised there first. 2XS is on the right track asking about the production date of the vehicles. Perhaps there is a fault or a difference in PCM software that is behind this. There's also a chance I suppose that this is not related to the SRI mod or that fitting the SRI unveils are pre existing concern like the stock downpipe has been known to hide a smoking turbo. Just throwing ideas in the air so to speak.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Troy mine built 08/09 ,but i no longer have CEL.

mine went away also but came back next drive..i didnt disconnect the battery tho..it went on its own..im going out to check it now see if its gone yet

4. Default

mine's 09/09

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    mine went away also but came back next drive..i didnt disconnect the battery tho..it went on its own..im going out to check it now see if its gone yet
    still on ;(

I'll keep working on it Derek. Let me know if anything changes. What's the build date of yours?

1/10

This is what 'Corksport' had to say about CEL's triggered after installation of there intakes
    Random Tech: P0101 CEL - MAF Malfunction - 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

DISIMs3/ Doc. Checked dimensions today. MZR maf housing 69mm OD. 67mm ID. ?? Possible slight distortion of id due to welds of air straighteners as veneer calipers could only reach approx 25 mm into throat of housing.

OEM maf housing ID 68mm Confirmed.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    This is what 'Corksport' had to say about CEL's triggered after installation of there intakes
    Random Tech: P0101 CEL - MAF Malfunction - 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
    Tim i think this is relevant ,i did notice that my oem where not tight when i first disassembled . when ist installed MZR i made sure everthing was tight, But at 2nd assemble may not of tightened enough,hence CEL . Before unplugging ECU, both troy and myself re tightened all connection points to eliminate leaks. (Possible answer) Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    DISIMs3/ Doc. Checked dimensions today. MZR maf housing 69mm OD. 67mm ID. ?? Possible slight distortion of id due to welds of air straighteners as veneer calipers could only reach approx 25 mm into throat of housing.

OEM maf housing ID 68mm Confirmed.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Tim i think this is relevant ,i did notice that my oem where not tight when i first disassembled . when ist installed MZR i made sure everthing was tight, But at 2nd assemble may not of tightened enough,hence CEL . Before unplugging ECU, both troy and myself re tightened all connection points to eliminate leaks. (Possible answer) Hope this helps.
    Thanks Phil. Your measurements are possibly more accurate than mine. Either way were looking at a difference of 1mm at the most to the stock ID.

Dessa / Fillo, Have you guys checked for leaks right back to the turbo. ie. that the turbo inlet pipe or vacuum hoses aren't loose.
    The breather hose of the side of the intake is a little oversize but will tighten enough onto the plastic connector. Recheck that this is sealing and maybe tighten the clamp another turn or two. I'm not doubting anyones ability to install the part just trying to eliminate any chance of unmetered air passing through.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

rocker cover breather.. any clamp between the turbo and the MAF.. this is what I would be re-checking

Oldhead.. thanks for checking..
    maybe MAF is so finicky about the placement of air straighteners.

If anyone is game.. and has a dremel. Try rounding the leading edge of the air straighteners, as its a flat surface [ <-- like that

Try making it into something more aerodynamic like ( <-- that!

now the entering air will not smash into it, causing induced drag. This induced drag (turbulence) will stall the air velocity and slow things down past the maf.. making the car think its getting less air than it is.. hence pulling fuel till it gets a CEL

Doing this will induce much less turbulence, and increase the air velocity past the MAF. Adding just a little more fuel.. and then bingo.. no lean at idle/lean at low load CEL

I hope im onto something here

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 20-04-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typos

Hey Doc. How about changing your name to the (Wizard of Oz) Ha Ha . I will try this even though i have no CEL . The leading edges of the air straighteners can certainly disturb flow ,(1) if they are not equally divided (2) have irregular edges (3) weld Dags etc.,but the air flow would need to quiet high for disruption. Love ya work .

thanks mate.

Im a fluid dynamics man.. it turns me on

They do seem to have the aerodynamic properties of a brick.. quite literally. Giving them a slight ( shape from the current [ shape, as long as you don't make it too drastic.. no knife edge stuff here ok?..lol. Seriously.. just a knock the square edges off ever so gently.

I can foresee nothing negative coming from this. However, just make sure you give it a good clean out with water.. followed by a metho wipe down.

Let me know.. Heck I want some pictures...

Doc

Hey doc ,dont want to get too techi here,but the trailing edge can effect as well .IE wings and surfboard fins. Im also a fluid dynamics man, (specialize in fluids blasting into empty vessels, aaahhh sorry virgins!!!!!!! ha ha ha .

Easy there you 2....
    Doc thanks for all your brainstorming on this. You may be onto something but i'd rather not carry out any modifications to the part until all other avenues have been explored. If after a final checkover Dessa is unable to rectify the concern I would suggest he definetely refit the stock airbox. If the CEL does not return I would request that he return the unit to me for inspection and testing. I would be happy to send him a new unit or refund his purchase. It's dissapointing I know especially when the part has worked so well for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Hey doc ,dont want to get too techi here,but the trailing edge can effect as well .IE wings and surfboard fins. Im also a fluid dynamics man, (specialize in fluids blasting into empty vessels, aaahhh sorry virgins!!!!!!! ha ha ha .
    I didnt want to go that far into things.. plus its more difficult to get to...

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    Easy there you 2....
    Doc thanks for all your brainstorming on this. You may be onto something but i'd rather not carry out any modifications to the part until all other avenues have been explored. If after a final checkover Dessa is unable to rectify the concern I would suggest he definetely refit the stock airbox. If the CEL does not return I would request that he return the unit to me for inspection and testing. I would be happy to send him a new unit or refund his purchase. It's dissapointing I know especially when the part has worked so well for others.
    his isnt broken.. we're just making it work better'er'er..

Hey Tim, just a note , i know that your spec sheet does state (careful do not overtighten ) but if TBolt to turbo inlet is over tightened it wiil crush and distort conn point and this can lead to unmetered air !!!! Just a thought ,very easy for some one to overtighten.

Thats a good point phil.
    Also the positioning of the clamp. The end of the Turbo inlet has a rolled edge / lip. The T-bolt clamp should be sitting over / past the lip rather than on it for the best seal and hold. Might be something for the other guys to check?

I have to say that i am impressed with Tims ability to want to resolve the issue rather than say a blanket "its not the fault of the SRI".

I have found this refreshing in todays world.

I hope it can be resolved coz I'm saving up to get one

took the sri off ,cleared the cel,put the stock airbox back on ,took for a good drive and no cel....100% sri the clamp was as stated above ,sitting over past the lip.... all clamps were tight breather was tight dont know what else to check ..pretty simple mod .. used to be a apprentice mechanic back in the day..i have mechanical knowlage..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast