User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

Thats it Tim .

I have thought you would only disconnect the ecu after disconnecting the negative battery terminal? Can anyone else confirm it's safe to do so with the battery connected. Not that I don't believe you Phil. I just wouldn't want Dessa to try anything that might damage his vehicle.

Gen 1's throw CEL due to idiots installing them... ie unmetered air causing vehicle to add fuel beyond the 20% threshold of non CEL territory.

Cold weather can play a part.. but it would be so minimal almost not worth mentioning.. i guess the straw that broke the camels back type of thing

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

ive never had an issue wth the battery still connected... as long as you give the car 30 seconds after key off for everything to depower in sequence.. i see no issues..

however i guess its always a good practice to disconnect the battery first

Point taken Tim. i think Mazda service unplug and fit connector to computer whilst battery is connected. Just dont do anything else whilst unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Point taken Tim. i think Mazda service unplug and fit connector to computer whilst battery is connected. Just dont do anything else whilst unplugged.
    I just spoke to a mazda technician He advised that the ECU/PCM harness should not be unplugged without the battery disconnected as it could generate back voltage and damage the PCM.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

I'm going to measure the MAF housing when I get home so as to confirm the exact size. I have been assuming all this time that it was 66.5mm as it was originally designed for the GEN 1 and has never triggered a CEL on one....but....I have a funny feeling it's 68mm. In which case i'll have to look at the airflow straighteners which I will compare with a stock airbox. Anyway there's no use in speculating. I will let you all know.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

lol honestly i dont drive the car to worry about disconecting plugs to clear the cel.. only reason its got 2000 kms is i went away to merimbula 1500 km trip..in two months of driving local its done 700kms... but i would like to sort out the sri ,not a headache as such as i dont use the car ,and if i do i dont think it will damage anything if the cel is on ? amirite

I'm not running a MZR SRI, but still a Gen2, and I've not had a CEL...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    I'm not running a MZR SRI, but still a Gen2, and I've not had a CEL...
    Do you know what the MAF housing size is on the CES SRI? I seem to remember it being smaller than the MZR when I installed one a while back?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Tim, I'll need to ask Troy.

He might be able to shed some light on what is occurring here.

From memory, mine was one of the first Gen2's he's done....

Ok so i'm home and I measured the Maf housing diameter of the MZR intake with my trusty 30cm ruler. I get 68mm (inside diameter of pipe). I also received a message from the supplier who advised the diameter to be 69.6mm. which by my calculations is the outside diameter of the housing. This totally works against our previous theory and would suggest the MAF housing size is actually better suited to the GEN 2....More thinking required

OLDHEAD's cel has gone away and I'm yet to here back from FILLO. I'm wondering if (and I know it's a long shot) The lack of driving you do could possibly have anything to do with it Dessa?

11. Default

CEL GONE...!!!!.....phew
    disconnected battery for fifteen minutes, switched back on and cel gone. I didn't disconnect the ECU (couldn't work out how) - all seems good.
    Not sure if its relevant but the cel came on after a trip up and back on the F3; cruise control at 120 for about an hour each way????
    thanks for everyones advice, thanks Tim.

if the ID is 68.. I cant see how the OD is 69.6.

That means the thickness of the maf housing piping itself is only 0.8mm.. i doubt its walls are than thin

Somethings not adding up here.. me thinks the figure of 69.6 is the ID..

Keep in mind that the flow straighteners are pretty chunky and this should take up the cross sectional area a bit more than the thin stock ones

The CES SRI ID is unknown to me at this time, but, I know it's 2 3/4" pipe that is used. I'd say it's 1.6mm wall

Does the std Gen 2 airbox have straighteners?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    if the ID is 68.. I cant see how the OD is 69.6.

That means the thickness of the maf housing piping itself is only 0.8mm.. i doubt its walls are than thin

Somethings not adding up here.. me thinks the figure of 69.6 is the ID..

Keep in mind that the flow straighteners are pretty chunky and this should take up the cross sectional area a bit more than the thin stock ones
    The ID would most likely be 68mm. The wall thickness on the MZR SRI is very thin.

I doubt very much it is the SRI's fault with ID. I think it may be the ECU's settings?

Anyone with a DashHawk and MZR SRI got a CEL? Maybe we need to get the CEL code?

Oldhead is in QLD, not Melb too. His CEL came on after refitting the SRI after the airbox install. It had the SRI on for 2hrs leading up to the removal and I don't know how long before that.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Desssa ,the CEL being on will not damage the car. Check further in this thread . someone else disconnected battery for 10 minutes or so and CEL disappeared.

nah as soon as i got it i put it on and drove it ,got cel on first drive ..left it then next day did a 100 km trip to ballarat and came back on ,on the way home ..im going to take it to work tommorow 70kms will let you know

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The CES SRI ID is unknown to me at this time, but, I know it's 2 3/4" pipe that is used. I'd say it's 1.6mm wall

Does the std Gen 2 airbox have straighteners?

The ID would most likely be 68mm. The wall thickness on the MZR SRI is very thin.

I doubt very much it is the SRI's fault with ID. I think it may be the ECU's settings?

Anyone with a DashHawk and MZR SRI got a CEL? Maybe we need to get the CEL code?

Oldhead is in QLD, not Melb too. His CEL came on after refitting the SRI after the airbox install. It had the SRI on for 2hrs leading up to the removal and I don't know how long before that.
    0.8mm thin though?

Oldhead, Fillo and Dessa, What are you month and years?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    0.8mm thin though?
    Thin, yes. Strong, yes too. Any material rolled into a cylinder becomes stronger and the straighteners will increase the rigidity too. It also has a rolled lip on the end, which also increases strength.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I have the Corksport with no CEL.

If the ID is in fact to0 big 69.6mm. this may be the answer.

This is what Jason at Corksport said about ID and CELs on mazdaspeedforum;

Gen 1 stock maf housing ID 66.5mm
    Gen 2 stock maf housing ID 68.0mm

"Believe it. That 2mm is a very small diametrical difference, but the change in area is about 7-8 percent from one to the other.
    That being said, using a 66mm MAF on a 2010 should NOT BY ANY MEANS cause a CEL, it would, rather, have a massive factor of safety. It's the larger diameters without the splitter that trip the cell. That being said, the larger the diameter and less restrictions, the better power you're going to get. In the end a 68mm MAF on a recalibrated and retuned ECU running no splitter is going to make more power than a 66mm MAF with an unremovable diffuser. We're talking small potatoes here though, nothing worth writing home about - 3-4hp..."

yeah im not questioning its strength.. just not use to seeing pipe that has a .8mm wall thickness..

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    Ok so i'm home and I measured the Maf housing diameter of the MZR intake with my trusty 30cm ruler. I get 68mm (inside diameter of pipe). I also received a message from the supplier who advised the diameter to be 69.6mm. which by my calculations is the outside diameter of the housing. This totally works against our previous theory and would suggest the MAF housing size is actually better suited to the GEN 2....More thinking required

OLDHEAD's cel has gone away and I'm yet to here back from FILLO. I'm wondering if (and I know it's a long shot) The lack of driving you do could possibly have anything to do with it Dessa?
    Can you reconfirm the figures with your supplier?

mine is 1/2010

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast