User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sri + smoke

Default Sri + smoke

hey all got my sri fitted and after 30kms of driving the CEL is on ,also noticed after first start up for the first couple minutes of driving it blows a puff of smoke cant see what color as im viewing it from the rear view mirror ,its only when cold ..what should i do,put factory airbox back on and sell the sri? car has 2210kms dont really want to part ways with the sri just yet as its much fun...
    Last edited by desssa; 24-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.

2. Default

What type of SRI is it

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    what type of sri is it
    mzr sri

shite hey, i eagerly (sic?) await the follow up to this.

Can everybody stop being so paranoid.............a SRI WILL NOT cause smoke............it will be a turbo drama, not an intake issue.

you sure its installed correctly???
    I put an intake/inlet on 2 weeks ago. no problems.
    Last edited by Cton; 17-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.

breather check , hose clamps check, afm plug check ...
    i know its working well as performance has increased ,smoke could be rich until ecu learns .will give it a couple weeks ,if no good will take it off

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Can everybody stop being so paranoid.............a SRI WILL NOT cause smoke............it will be a turbo drama, not an intake issue.
    i dont sense any paranoiya

just went out checked the car..CEL is gone and when i started it and gave a quick rev it was just a puff of black smoke..nothing to worry about ..will wait for ecu to adjust itself..

Anyone logging trims? I know I sound like a broken record.

2xs you have a dashhawk? Are you running this intake?

Just adding an SRI isn't going to cause prolonged smoking. If the issue is serious and prolonged it is a coincidental "other" problem that is beyond the scope of my post to discuss.

However, if the fitting of an SRI has not been undertaken correctly and the airflow is restricted (blocked filter, collapsed innards, etc) or the MAF sensor has been screwed up somehow (broken leads or sensor, o-ring seal broken, etc) , you may expect some problems with mixture which might induce black smoking if the problem has induced a rich condition.

And for the billionth time (sounding like a cracked record too), while ECU's have some learning capacity, they will, firstly, do it in just a few kilometres and secondly they will not learn their way through a problem caused by poor engineering or a mechanical failure. Waiting days for the ECU to "learn" and magically fix a problem isn't going to work, even if your perception is that "performance has increased". Fixing the problem may further improve performance. (The analogy is that I could theoretically put the worlds sickest 10 litre twin-turboed V12 in my car and note "improved performance", but it doesn't mean the engine is working as it should).
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 18-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

anyway light came back on today ...hoses all checked ,looks like stock airbox will be going back on

There has to be more to this Derek. There are 16 other MPS owners out there with this SRI fitted (11 on this forum). Your the first to get a CEL. I'd put the stock box back on and clear the CEL. If the CEL then comes back you can rule out the SRI as the cause in which case a trip to mazda ASAP would be recommended. What fuel are you using?

I've had mine on for a year. YOULOSE had has his for 6 months. SHIV, BRACKAUS and WADOS have been running theirs for a few months. Keep us posted on how things go.

Let us know the outcome.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

ive checked all the hoses/clamps twice, never had a drama before this ..running 98 mobil and just filled this morning and its back on ..it went off yesterday so im guessing it will again today ..im going to give it a third chance b4 i take it off .. cars running a tad rich has black on the tips .

wouldn't you want to go back to standard straight away incase there is omething actually wrong thats not related to the SRI?

I've had my MZR intake in for a few months now, and all seems good..

The symptoms cant be pointing to the SRI, seems a little weird.. Sorry to hear ya having this issues..

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Maybe im wrong..I've just been reading that a blocked intake hose or dirty filter can cause not enough air to get to your cylinders which causes bad fuel-air ratios....Might be worth taking of the filter off and inspecting it, and also have a peek up the intake house..Or even take the SRI off and give it a good inspection!!
    Last edited by yogibear; 18-04-2010 at 02:42 PM.

did you drop your maf sensor.. or do anything stupid to it during install..?

this sounds like a MAF issue.. assuming the SRI is not throwing your fuel trims beyond 20%.. which I doubt very much

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

see if you can swap your maf sensor with a local.. see if that fixes it

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

**EDIT**

is it facing the correct way?

the cars done 2000kms its all new and didnt drop the afm ... its obvious its the SRI why i dont know ..no one else is claiming any issues ..maybe its my driving style ..afm went on the same way it was on the airbox

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    the cars done 2000kms its all new and didnt drop the afm ... its obvious its the SRI why i dont know ..no one else is claiming any issues ..maybe its my driving style ..afm went on the same way it was on the airbox
    I'm not going to rule out the possiblity that the SRI could be at fault. To do so would be arrogant.
    It doesn't sound like your at fault her either. I would refit the airbox. If the CEL doesn't reappear after a week or so of driving, then it's pretty safe to say the MAF sensor is ok.
    At this point the SRI becomes suspect. If this is the case I'll work something out with you mate.
    I hate it when you get a new toy and it doesn't work. Good luck Derek.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

if people had a daskhawk.. all the guessing would be taken out of this..

if your going to mod your car.. get a dashhawk... /end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast