User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sri + smoke

whats the point .its not highly modified nor will it be..its a sri .i will put the stock airbox back on ..but we all know what the problem will be and im not sure why,its fitted 100% correctly .5 hose clamps and 2 screws how hard can it be

ok thanks to tim i have a replacement unit.. drove the car 60 kms today and no CEL.... so far .. will keep updated on the results cheers tim.. will send the old one back tommorow .. one thing i have noticed is a weird whistle ..its not a intake whistle as such .. im guessing here but could it have anything to do with the air straightners ?
    Last edited by desssa; 29-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    ok thanks to tim i have a replacement unit.. drove the car 60 kms today and no CEL.... so far .. will keep updated on the results cheers tim.. will send the old one back tommorow .. one thing i have noticed is a weird whistle ..its not a intake whistle as such .. im guessing here but could it have anything to do with the air straightners ?
    That's ok Derek, Sorry it took so long. The whistle sound your hearing at high revs is intake related but nothing to be concerned about. From what I understand it is the sound of the air passing over the straighteners at high speed (which explains why you don't hear it at low revs). I've always noticed it but more so with the new design. I believe it has to do with the position of the straighteners in relation to the housing around them ie. the sound resonates inside creating a resident frequency which is high pitched.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

sik yo.. powa
    Last edited by desssa; 03-10-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Take some photos of install and post them up?
    Maf been cleaned? Try some electrical contact cleaner spray.

3000kms only ... think the gen2 dont like mods... want a down pipe too but sounds like they create the same issue
    the install is fine... but if needed i will take pics over the weekend

Just trying to help out

cheers..

9. Default

Chances are the intake is maxing out the long term fuel trim learned values. There is a possibility that the GEN2 are more stringent on fuel trim min and maxes compared to the GEN1 which is causing the CEL. Alot of people dont realise that some intakes can reduce the airflow calculation by up to 18%. That means not only 18% less fuelling but 18% less calculated load which can push ignition timing to the point of detonation.

I would recommend to those people that dont get a retune to provide the ECU with the correct MAF transfer table to consider this before an intake install.

1. Only install the intake on a engine that is up to temp. (This allows the ECU to learn fuel trim data staight away as the 02 sensor is up to temp)
    2. Allow the engine to idle for 5min with AC off and then 5min with AC on. (This will allow the ECU to make adjustments to the required ETC postion for the desried idle rpm)
    3. Drive car for at least 20min slowly increasing the amount of throttle and rpm used, nothing over 4500rpm and nothing full throttle - if you have a boost gauge I wouldn't go over 5psi of boost. After 20min of this you should be ok to go full throttle. (The ECU will only learn to correct the fuelling in clsoed loop mode ie light to medium throttle only. What it learns in closed loop it will apply to the open loop fuelling ie. medium to full throttle. Not allowing you car to learn in closed loop will mean that if your SRI leans the car by 18% you car may go from a safe 12:1AFR to a piston/turbo/catalyst destroying 14.1 AFR.

Hope this helps reducing the failures.

Good sound advice..

Thanks for putting it out there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12