User Tag List

Thread: Smoking exhaust on long idle oh ow !!!

1. Angry Smoking exhaust on long idle oh ow !!!

hi all

my girlfriend was waiting & idling 06 MPS 3 30 k on clock at petrol station while i paid when i went back was horrified to see plumes of white smoke from exhaust and have noticed it has done similar only now and then ........ my drama is my warranty runs out in 5 days and will be VERRRRRY pissed off if i have to pay for new turbo I rang and told dealership immediately and they said to bring it in to check Im worried they will find nothing wrong when they check so warranty runs out and im left with $$$$$ problem
    I would like to possibly get list of others who have smoking exhaust prob and details of their dealership and how problem was fixed so i can be armed to the back teeth with evidence should my dealership say there is no problem with smoking turbos

any other help advice suggestions much appreciated
    ps mods are only Hyperflow SRI
    Last edited by grizzly; 17-04-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Throw your stock airbox back on ( otherwise they will most likely blame your SRI and send you on your way) and get the thing down to Mazda pronto...make sure you have it well documented by them so you still have some recourse after your remaining 5 days are up if need be (also worth keeping a paper-trail of phone calls etc), also try and get some photo's / video of the event so they can see first hand.
    There is a TSB for the faulty turbos, I dont have the number of the recall handy at the minute (Ill find it and post up it later for you), but it does exist, mine was done (somewhat reluctantly) under warranty, happy to email you a copy of my paperwork if it will help.

Whereabouts are you located, maybe some local members can point you to dealerships in the area that have previously replaced faulty turbos.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

3. Default

hey Mattmps3

thanks heaps ...... appreciate your help / advice
    TSB no. would be very helpful im in wollongong

Def video it and get it to mazda pronto.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Should I be a little worried or is it a storm in a teacup???

OK I am a little worried about this whole smoking turbo thingy.

My 06 3MPS is coming up to 90k and with the warranty ending in June it seems that there is no definitive thing or amount of klm's which this will happen by. After the whole 5 hours idling on the F3 the other day I kind of expected to look in the rear view mirror to see a cloud of smoke, but nothing, nada, nil was seen.

Am I sitting on a smoking time bomb or am I one of the lucky ones???
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

6. Default

sounds like you are one of the lucky ones ... or actually being a non-pessimist in the majority. I would actually say the turbo seals going is very much a minority thing, think of how many MPS's out there in Aus and you dont actually hear of too many of them going

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Throw your stock airbox back on ( otherwise they will most likely blame your SRI and send you on your way) and get the thing down to Mazda pronto...make sure you have it well documented by them so you still have some recourse after your remaining 5 days are up if need be (also worth keeping a paper-trail of phone calls etc), also try and get some photo's / video of the event so they can see first hand.
    There is a TSB for the faulty turbos, I dont have the number of the recall handy at the minute (Ill find it and post up it later for you), but it does exist, mine was done (somewhat reluctantly) under warranty, happy to email you a copy of my paperwork if it will help.

Whereabouts are you located, maybe some local members can point you to dealerships in the area that have previously replaced faulty turbos.
    There is no recall as such for this concern but it is what mazda would refer to as a known concern (There is a bulletin on the subject). If the vehicle has a good service history mazda will cover the repair without question (Even if you do slip out of warranty). Having said that I would contact them straight away so the that they are aware of the issue. Your SRI shouldn't be an issue but as Matt says it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Bad luck, lucky you caught it. Plenty of info already here about it, a quick search turned up these threads. Info a plenty in them

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...moke-idle.html

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    sounds like you are one of the lucky ones ... or actually being a non-pessimist in the majority. I would actually say the turbo seals going is very much a minority thing, think of how many MPS's out there in Aus and you dont actually hear of too many of them going
    Yeah I hear you Betty. Do you know if anyone of the MPS6's have ever had this issue??? (I can't recall) Surely they aren't that different. If not maybe, the 6's different exhaust flow is the reason......................
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

10. Default

My turbo seal went at 30,000k not sure of many other 6's

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    There is no recall as such for this concern but it is what mazda would refer to as a known concern (There is a bulletin on the subject). If the vehicle has a good service history mazda will cover the repair without question (Even if you do slip out of warranty). Having said that I would contact them straight away so the that they are aware of the issue. Your SRI shouldn't be an issue but as Matt says it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Yes, bad choice of words on my part (I was in a hurry), its not a recall as such, but a service bulletin.

The number of the TSB is - NS071_08

If you want me to email you a copy of the paperwork associated with mine PM me your details and I'll send it through, seeing as your not far from me I will strongly advise you against using the McGrath Mazda dealership at Kirrawee, PM me if you want details of my experiences with them.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

You will find some interesting discussion on smoking on this thread too, even though it is devoted to engine blow ups and not turbo smoking per se, it does deal with the latter to some extent. I make this point so as not to alarm you unduly. Take Matt's advice anyway.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post104990

13. Default

thanks mattmps 3 and also to everyone for their input
    My beloved mps 3 is booked in tommorrow ill keep you all posted on any breaking news

14. Default update

UPDATE great news !!!!! new turbo ordered to replace original turbo booked in next week BIG THANKS TO ALL for advice TSB no. was very helpful and once they read it they were even more receptive to putting in new turbo no questions asked this takes sting out of $ 450 for 40 k service

15. Default

Thats great news Grizzly

Good to hear Grizzly, sounds like your dealer was reasonable about the whole thing (mine took 3 goes before they would believe me), lucky you caught this before your warranty was out.

17. Default

ye so lucky to catch it with only 4 days left on warranty thanks again for your help

Fantastic Result