User Tag List

Thread: Report: Mazda RX8 denied re-entry into Europe

Default Report: Mazda RX8 denied re-entry into Europe

Filed under: Coupe, Europe, Mazda

Mazda RX-8 R3 - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to the crew at Auto Motor und Sport, the Mazda RX-8 won't be coming back to Europe for the 2011 model year. Why? The rev-rific rotary can't pass the Euro-5 emission standards and a replacement won't arrive until 2013.

Mazda Germany exec, Joseph Alois Schmid, told AMuS that retrofitting the current engine would be too cost prohibitive and the Wankel can't adapt quickly enough to Europe's stringent emission standards.

Although a replacement is in the works - and a hydrogen version could arrive within the next few years - the next rotary mill will have to be significantly reworked to adhere to the new standards. But even a revised rotary could have problems in 2014, when the new Euro 6 emission rules take effect.

Gallery: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3

[Source: Auto Motor und Sport via TTAC]Report: Mazda RX8 denied re-entry into Europe originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

2. Default

such a beautiful car

Love the old one better, I like better the wheels and tail lights of the new one though.

Bring Back the RX-7

They've got plenty of nice cars to choose from over there

I want those rims for my MPS

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMPS View Post
    I want those rims for my MPS
    They're hot!!!..... and they'd look very sexy with VR
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS