User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Loss/Hesitation 1st & 2nd gears

Question Power Loss/Hesitation 1st & 2nd gears

Hey all,

Decided to go for a Blast up to springbrook and back today. Noticed on tight corners when accelerating out of in 2nd that the car would hesitate while building revs and seemed lacking in power, 3rd seems ok.

After babying the car back I continued to notice this when going mid to wide open in 2nd and unless my mind is playing with me 1st also. Once again 3rd is smooth and builds revs cleanly.

1st feels totally gutless and backfires occasionally , ??

Have had a peak and no noticeable boost leaks during a quick evaluation.

Any guesses all??
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Blog Entries

Isn't boost limited in the first 2 gears? could be something to do with that...

perhaps a bit of bad fuel ?

gutless and backfiring, sounds like an ecu issue.

Or hopefully just bad fuel

Ran out of fuel the other day near my inlaws place. Ran over to their place and nicked a jerry can with maybe 3-4 litres of unknown fuel in it. Started car and went to servo immediately to put half tank in. Refuelled with full tank of ultimate today. Surely no residual fuel could be effectling me after 1.5 tanks of new fuel??

I think it's definitely related to the jerry can fuel, cause<>effect. But, try this course of action from easy to hard.

- Reset ECU and see if it goes away.
    - If you have a Dashhawk check your wideband AFR (Actual AFR) off boost 50km or so after resetting your ECU and see if it's around 14.7, if not then check O2 sensor, clean the MAF etc.
    - Check all hose clamps on CAI, BOV and your TMIC.

If all that is OK then it's prob crud in your fuel system.

Edit: Forgot to add, when was the last time your air filter was cleaned or replaced? It's a CPE CAI, do you have one of those sock things over the filter? What condition is that in?
    Last edited by TD; 14-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Injector cleaner and a good squirt might be what the doctor ordered

1/Ok. As stated I've already checked the intake/bov etc hoses. I cleaned the maf 2 wks ago also. The air cleaner should be clean and yes it does have a prefilter. Thanks anyway mate.

2/not supposed to use injector cleaner on the mzr.

I cranked the car over a bit trying to get it started to crawl to a servo, maybe I picked up some crap?

maybe something with your SWAS sensor.. but in saying that, it would be evident in 3rd and 4th etc etc.. disregard that.

other possibility is a bit of water in your jerry can. Add 20mls of metho to your tank (this will dilute in the water and mix through and burn..)

how many k's have you got on her now?

yeah im thinking water/moisture

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

...also.. whats your fuel pressure doing. its not stupid high is it.. ? cause if theres too much pressure there.. the car wont know what to do with it in the lower boost pressure gears..

hence the backfire.. popping and not running well.. maybe its running rich as a pig. There is a pressure regulation valve that is supposed to keep the fuel preuure under 1850 or something along those lines..

I dunno im thinking out loud.

*crickets*

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    1/Ok. As stated I've already checked the intake/bov etc hoses. I cleaned the maf 2 wks ago also. The air cleaner should be clean and yes it does have a prefilter. Thanks anyway mate.

2/not supposed to use injector cleaner on the mzr.

I cranked the car over a bit trying to get it started to crawl to a servo, maybe I picked up some crap?
    Who said you can't use injector cleaner?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Mazda apparentely. I ran a search and the US forums have it mentioned several times.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Hey Doc, I dont have a dash hawk. The car seemd to monster through fuel when I was on it.

How much metho to a full tank of gas do you suggest? Any side effects?
    Last edited by magoo; 15-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.

but mazda USA also say no synthetic oil too sometimes...lol

id say 20-30 mls...

ive never seen any side effects..

beside people are injecting it directly with water meth...

i had a similar issue with a previous car.. and it sorted it out..

you should be fine

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

otherewise.. send me your cpe fuel pump.. and ill troubleshoot it for you... i promise..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    but mazda USA also say no synthetic oil too sometimes...lol

id say 20-30 mls...

ive never seen any side effects..

beside people are injecting it directly with water meth...

i had a similar issue with a previous car.. and it sorted it out..

you should be fine

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

otherewise.. send me your cpe fuel pump.. and ill troubleshoot it for you... i promise..lol
    Hey get your hands off my pump

Current situation, using octane boost with fuel system cleaner (recommended by assistant). No benefit whatsoever, in first 100km anyways. Anyone know if you typically need to run through an entire tank??

Noticed another anomaly, problem has some relationship with the swas or steering angle. Any and I mean any steering angle applied results in car stuttering (1st or 2nd not 3rd). This occurs when applying anymore than moderate throttle.

Friggin wierd

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Hey that what I said at the start...

SWAS

unplug the bugger

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

then send me your pump...

problem fixed.. honest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hey that what I said at the start...

SWAS

unplug the bugger

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

then send me your pump...

problem fixed.. honest
    If you want the pump, no probs. Just have to take my eldest child also and never return him, deal??

Maybe the swas needs to be reset. Disconnect-kill battery-reconnect-full lock left and right-done. Will try the sarvo.

Have you ever disc the SWAS? pita to pull the plug out.

Turn of the dsi control, its job is to limit power to keep the car stable during turns and also to keep traction. I have had the same issues when drag racing, i go into 2nd, its hesitaes (wipes a good second off my time) and then sky rockets.

Its simply the ECU detecing that the tyres are about to loose traction and the traction control kicks in and limits power. Why it does it so aggressively, i dont know. This also explains why when you are in 3rd gear, none of this happens (cos you dont have enough power to break traction in 3rd gear, most mps's dont unless you force chirp it with the clutch).
    problem solved.

dsi control?

dsi control?
    Sorry i think its called DSC, its that button to right of the steering wheel nearby the ignition...the one which turns off traction control etc.....Im sure someone knows what the button is called ?

Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Sorry i think its called DSC, its that button to right of the steering wheel nearby the ignition...the one which turns off traction control etc.....Im sure someone knows what the button is called ?
    Sorry mate, problem not fixed that obviously.

If you want the pump, no probs. Just have to take my eldest child also and never return him, deal??

Maybe the swas needs to be reset. Disconnect-kill battery-reconnect-full lock left and right-done. Will try the sarvo.

Have you ever disc the SWAS? pita to pull the plug out.
    Maybe the connector is loose.. or there is a slight slat smot on the pins in the connector...

try and give it a jiggle...

Good luck

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

and no worries i need someone to carry my tools around the mountains in PNG.. if he upsets me, ill feed him to the locals...

send pump express post tomorrow please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast