User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Head Unit

1. Default MPS 6 Head Unit

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a 2006/7 MPS 6 at the end of May (yay!) when my term deposit matures and was just wondering if anyone had replaced their stock head unit with a single DIN unit. Ive got a single DIN Pioneer PRS unit sitting in my current cars boot - for some reason i cannot remember why its there.

Can this be hooked up to the steering wheel audio controls etc and are there mounting kits available so it looks good or has a gap below to stick my ZuneHD into? Im not to fussed if i have to buy a different head unit to get it to work properly but yeah any help would be appreciated.

Im in Canberra and would have to get a shop to do it because my technical know how is exactly zero!

2. Default

Welcome Cameron and congrats (in advance) on getting your MPS6 you will love it.

Dont know anything about replacing the head unit sorry as mine is still stock. But probably Id go and have a chat to BDL at Fyshwick
    Last edited by blackbetty; 11-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.

3. Default

Thanks blackbetty, who to go and see about it was going to be my next question :-)

Just curious but why do you plan to replace the headunit anyway? I am loving the ability to change songs or channels etc. with the steering wheel and you would most likely lose that if you put in an aftermarket unit (that said ways do exist http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oRPMtyz...AC-SWI-PS.html but even assuming you find one that works it seems a bit of a waste just to get back to stock functionality). That and the double din to single din kits you can buy never quite look right.

You had a chance to listen to the current setup? I was actually surpised how good it was, sure its no audiophile quality setup but its pretty nice. As for the Zune, something like this from ebay should plug right into your stock headunit and if its anything like the ipod controller will allow you to control your zune with the steering wheel controls while it is safely stored away in your glovebox.
    :edit: I take it back... it looks like that unit at least won't be able to control the zune... others may though
    Last edited by Nepharius; 11-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.

5. Default

I have listened to the current setup when a mate let me drive his 6 (fell in love with it almost immediately - was going to buy a vw golf 118 before but it just seems so boring now lol). Its pretty good, but im a bit of an audio nut so yeah any chance to go crazy on new gear is a good thing :-). Either way the speakers will be getting swapped out, but i dont imagine that being difficult.

Alpines website lists some of their head units as steering wheel remote ready (through some attachement) so hopefully something like that exists for Pioneer (or its just a interface that anyone can use).

I forgot about how weird some of the conversion kits look, ill have to check that out.

Thanks for the Zune stuff, theres a few things like that to look at. If that fails I can always fall back to mr iPod.

I think you will find that when Alpine was steering wheel control compatible that they mean Aplines controls that clip onto your steering wheel. I cannot see the point in replacing the head unit. It has more functionality than any after market unit can offer, plus it fits in your car already, and you dont have to pay to install it. Have a look at the rockford fosgate 360. It's like a piggy back ECU for your stereo, means that you can keep your standard stereo, but run far better quality amps and speakers. You plug your laptop into it to tune it. In the end you will have a far better system than any aftermarket head unit can offer.

7. Default

The Rockford Fosgate 360 looks awesome. Thanks Luke, i even found some guys out at Tuggeranong that deal in the RF stuff!

what have u done with ur sound system luke?

All I've got is the simple little circuit upgrade that makes your sub louder, happy with that at this stage. But when I do go down the track of upgrading, I'll be getting a RF 360.

Ive got a Mazda 3. I want to replace the stock unit but then some displays will vanish on the dash. I installed a good 4 channel amp and another amp and a sub. I had the Bose pack too but was very dissapointed with it.

Refer to my post above

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think you will find that when Alpine was steering wheel control compatible that they mean Aplines controls that clip onto your steering wheel. I cannot see the point in replacing the head unit. It has more functionality than any after market unit can offer, plus it fits in your car already, and you dont have to pay to install it. Have a look at the rockford fosgate 360. It's like a piggy back ECU for your stereo, means that you can keep your standard stereo, but run far better quality amps and speakers. You plug your laptop into it to tune it. In the end you will have a far better system than any aftermarket head unit can offer.

I have replaced the head unit in my MPS6. You need either a Metra Kit or a Kanatecs kit in order to get all the AC working etc

My alpine head unit works with my steering wheel via a PAC adaptor. I also have a car PC and few other goodies in there lol