View Poll Results: Do you use Nitrogen?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I use it

6 24.00%
  • No I don't use it

19 76.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen in Tyres? Do you use it?

1. Default Nitrogen in Tyres? Do you use it?

HOW NITROGEN WORKS & WHAT IT DOES

TYRE SAFETY - EVERYTHING RIDES ON IT

Nitrogen(N2) makes up the majority of the air that we breathe (78%) and is contained in the protein of all life on earth. It is colourless, tasteless and non-toxic. The next most common component of air is oxygen (O2). Together N2 and O2 make up approximately 99% of the air that we breathe and with which we traditionally fill tyres.
    N2 IS A LARGER MOLECULE THAN O2

Therefore, it cannot and does not permeate as easily as oxygen through porous material such as a rubber tyre wall. Leaking at a much slower rate than oxygen, a tyre filled with a higher percentage of N2 maintains its proper pressure roughly three to four times longer than air-filled tyres. Proper inflation provides better fuel economy, superior handling, longer tyre life and increased safety by reducing the likelihood of low pressure related loss of control, blowouts and other tyre failures.

N2 IS A DRY INERT GAS
    O2 in a tyre provides unwanted oxidation. Over time, this reaction destroys the tyre wall and corrodes wheels. A tyre is prematurely aged by O2 from the inside-out as the pressurized air in the tyre makes the O2 try to escape through the tyre wall, speeding up the damaging oxidation process. N2 on the other hand, is a harmless inert gas that does not react negatively with the tyres and wheels. N2 filled tyres also reduce tyre heat, thereby decreasing rolling resistance and increasing fuel economy.

N2 IS NON-FLAMMABLE
    O2 is a flammable gas while N2 is an extinguishing gas. Thus, a large number of mass transportation companies around the world fill their tyres with N2 for added fire and explosion safety. In a vehicle fire, ruptured air-filled tyres fuel the fire. N2 filled tyres slow the fire.
    N2 has been used in tyres for many years on aircraft, military vehicles, off-road trucks, race cars and
    Tour de France bicycles.

NITROGEN INFLATED TYRES ARE SAFER and LONGER LASTING THAN TYRES INFLATED WITH "WET OXYGEN" in COMPRESSED AIR
    Nitrogen inflated tyres do not age as quickly as air inflated tyres.
    Nitrogen inflated tyres improve vehicle handling through proper inflation and constantly maintained pressure.
    Nitrogen inflated tyres minimize blowouts.
    Nitrogen is an inert, non-combustible and non-flammable gas.
    Nitrogen is a stable gas providing more constant pressure.

THE EFFECTS of UNDER INFLATION ON TYRE WEAR and FUEL USE
    It is also the single most overlooked item recognized by service agents during maintenance visits. It is not uncommon to have to add inflation pressures to all tyres.

Correct inflation is highly significant when considering tyre life and performance. It is not always possible to look at a tyre and detect under-inflation. However, under-inflation can cause many tyre related problems. As inflation pressure largely determines a tyre’s load capacity, under-inflation results in an overloaded tyre. An under-inflated tyre operates at high deflection resulting in decreased fuel economy, sluggish handling and may result in excessive mechanical flexing and heat build up, leading to tyre failure.
    Last edited by Wardski; 06-04-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries

I have never used it but it has always had me curious.

Are more tyre places using this now? Or at least give you the option? Any reason why this is not standard if it is better?

Rino has nitro in his tyres. When he got new wheels I got to see his stock wheels off the car and they were very well preserved and evenly used through the tyre width, he also mentioned that he only needs to check their tyre pressure once every couple of months.

When i've had tyres changed in the past, Bob Jane (or whoever really) has given the option for N2.

Whilst it almost sounds a bit gimmicky, apparently it runs cooler as well, eg if you've travelled 500km, the tyres will be cooler than those using O2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    When i've had tyres changed in the past, Bob Jane (or whoever really) has given the option for N2.

Whilst it almost sounds a bit gimmicky, apparently it runs cooler as well, eg if you've travelled 500km, the tyres will be cooler than those using O2.
    The cooler running temp is interesting, and would be something that would sway me for sure. I used to run Hankook rubber on my car and it is a known fact that they have softer sidewalls and obviously if its running warmer it is going to be softer.

Very interesting discussion...
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

...Or atleast thats what Bob Jane Rockhampton told me years ago

Default Very interesting article on N2.

Where can you get N2 from and how much does it cost? I assume you have to pay for it!

8. Default

Bob Janes does the N2, and its not very expensive (I think its about $3-5 a tyre), which is not much considering the price of rubber these days (decent STI 245/45/18's are friggin expensive!!)

Blog Entries

This is sounding more and more like the "standard unleaded KMS vs premium unleaded KMs" argument now.

Typical though, its better for your car so it costs more

This is a very interesting discussion, I haven't used it and until Wardski's post had not even considered there were genuine benefits. However considering the lack of nitrogen filling stations, do N2 filled tyres lose pressure like regular air filled tyres? ie I have to put air in (not much 1-2psi) about every 1-2 months in some of my tyres?

i asked about nitro at bob janes and beaurepaires and both people i talked to basically said not to bother. i was curious as weel but didnt end up getting it due to this fact.

Moved to Handling/Wheels/Tyres forum, you can add "Thanks" here

Blog Entries

just so I can test the THANK button with the new setup

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    just so I can test the THANK button with the new setup
    only if u thanks me back for thanking u hehehe
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    This is a very interesting discussion, I haven't used it and until Wardski's post had not even considered there were genuine benefits. However considering the lack of nitrogen filling stations, do N2 filled tyres lose pressure like regular air filled tyres? ie I have to put air in (not much 1-2psi) about every 1-2 months in some of my tyres?
    I understand that as the N2 particles are bigger than o2, theres less loss. BJ's told me a check every 6-8 months is required, and topping up is free

i was told u could not check the pressure yourself and obviously if it happens to b low u cant top up yourself. but i spose whenever u put your car in for a balance and allignment u could get it checked and topped up then

waste of time on a road car..

aircraft and race car applications only

Smile Nitrogen for your tyres !!!!

Ok here's my 2bob's worth .I believe it is worth using
    1. All comercial aircraft use nitrogen in their tyres
    2. Most race cars & bikes do as well inc F1& MOTO GP
    3. It is more dense no or little leakage
    4. TYRES RUN COOLER = more consistancy = less heat = less wear
    5. Less heat & correct pressures equates to better fuel milage
    6. I ran 10 courier vans on it and over twelve years and tyre milage improved by on average by 2.5 to 3.000 k drivers don't check tyre presures so the fact they don't loose pressure is of benifit .My opinion in running nitrogen in the mps apart from the above is the ride on low profile tyres is smoother , obsorbes road shock ( bumps ) better with less road noise and tyres seem to wear more evenly across the whole tread .BJ T Mart 's don't charge me for nitrogen given the volume of wheels and tyres I have purchased over the years all the courier vans were fitted with mags as well like I have said b4 BJ must rub their hands together when I turn up on their doorstep even if I had to pay 4 it the benifits justify the outlay .
    7. Conclusion better wear rate better fuel economy = saving of hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 06-04-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Blog Entries

Interesting points there Col

Looks like over time this might be a winner.

What are the advantaged, if any,to cars in colder areas? Would be interesting to hear from our southern (or overseas) members who have done this, preferably in areas where it snows or just gets very very cold.

Interesting subject but as I said before its delving into the lovely grey area the fuels discussions usually get into.

Smile Fnq is farkin hot most of the time !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Interesting points there Col

Looks like over time this might be a winner.

What are the advantaged, if any,to cars in colder areas? Would be interesting to hear from our southern (or overseas) members who have done this, preferably in areas where it snows or just gets very very cold.

Interesting subject but as I said before its delving into the lovely grey area the fuels discussions usually get into.
    Living in the tropics probably is more bennificial because of extreme heat but I would think nitrogen would be a better option no matter what .

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast