View Poll Results: Do you use Nitrogen?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I use it

6 24.00%
  • No I don't use it

19 76.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen in Tyres? Do you use it?

You would be absolutley mad if you don't use nitro in your tyres... FULL STOP... I use to tell people they were mad using it, that's when I should of shut my mouth because I didn't know what I was saying, I have been using it now for 5 years and will never look back..... I get more life out of my tyres and the edges last to the end and I don't check my tyre pressures for 6 months at a time and the top ups are free for the life of the tyres....

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    i was told u could not check the pressure yourself and obviously if it happens to b low u cant top up yourself. but i spose whenever u put your car in for a balance and allignment u could get it checked and topped up then
    Incorrect Phil if you are in a position that you need to top your tyres up you can if you are no where near a Bob Jane store, and next time you go to your installer they will release the air out and top it up for you, providing you haven't driven over a nail like I did down the coast last week. They repaired the tyre and fill it up with Nitro for $35 at Mermaid Waters, I drove from Burleigh Heads to find a Bob Jane store still had some pressure in the tyre if not I would have top it up at a servo if I needed to till I found a Bob Jane Store...

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Bob Janes does the N2, and its not very expensive (I think its about $3-5 a tyre), which is not much considering the price of rubber these days (decent STI 245/45/18's are friggin expensive!!)

Depending if you know the guys at Bob Jane normally around $5.00 to $7.50 per tyre but remember they top it up for free for the life of your tyres.. I got mine for nothing because they love my business.... I check mine every 4 to 6 months only out by 1 to 2 PSI each time and I run on 38PSI..

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    This is a very interesting discussion, I haven't used it and until Wardski's post had not even considered there were genuine benefits. However considering the lack of nitrogen filling stations, do N2 filled tyres lose pressure like regular air filled tyres? ie I have to put air in (not much 1-2psi) about every 1-2 months in some of my tyres?
    I only lose 1 to 2 PSI over 4 to 6 months Chris..... This should give you better fuel economy with your tyres keeping even temp all the time. That's why they tell you to pump your tyres when tyres are colder at the servos because tyres fluctuate in temp....

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    i asked about nitro at bob janes and beaurepaires and both people i talked to basically said not to bother. i was curious as weel but didnt end up getting it due to this fact.
    Go back and tell him he's a and to go sell newspapers...

I'M ON FIRE...
    Last edited by 240MPS; 06-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Blog Entries

Good backing up of facts Rino!! This has me thinking of trying nitro next time I get tyres sorted (I'm due soon)

Smile You tell um rino !!!!!!

Thats the way Rino sort em out mate , us oldish members may know a thing or 2

Col

"RINO'S ON FIRE"
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 06-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

HOW NITROGEN WORKS & WHAT IT DOES

TYRE SAFETY - EVERYTHING RIDES ON IT

Nitrogen(N2) makes up the majority of the air that we breathe (78%) and is contained in the protein of all life on earth. It is colourless, tasteless and non-toxic. The next most common component of air is oxygen (O2). Together N2 and O2 make up approximately 99% of the air that we breathe and with which we traditionally fill tyres.
    N2 IS A LARGER MOLECULE THAN O2

Therefore, it cannot and does not permeate as easily as oxygen through porous material such as a rubber tyre wall. Leaking at a much slower rate than oxygen, a tyre filled with a higher percentage of N2 maintains its proper pressure roughly three to four times longer than air-filled tyres. Proper inflation provides better fuel economy, superior handling, longer tyre life and increased safety by reducing the likelihood of low pressure related loss of control, blowouts and other tyre failures.

N2 IS A DRY INERT GAS
    O2 in a tyre provides unwanted oxidation. Over time, this reaction destroys the tyre wall and corrodes wheels. A tyre is prematurely aged by O2 from the inside-out as the pressurized air in the tyre makes the O2 try to escape through the tyre wall, speeding up the damaging oxidation process. N2 on the other hand, is a harmless inert gas that does not react negatively with the tyres and wheels. N2 filled tyres also reduce tyre heat, thereby decreasing rolling resistance and increasing fuel economy.

N2 IS NON-FLAMMABLE
    O2 is a flammable gas while N2 is an extinguishing gas. Thus, a large number of mass transportation companies around the world fill their tyres with N2 for added fire and explosion safety. In a vehicle fire, ruptured air-filled tyres fuel the fire. N2 filled tyres slow the fire.
    N2 has been used in tyres for many years on aircraft, military vehicles, off-road trucks, race cars and
    Tour de France bicycles.

NITROGEN INFLATED TYRES ARE SAFER and LONGER LASTING THAN TYRES INFLATED WITH "WET OXYGEN" in COMPRESSED AIR
    Nitrogen inflated tyres do not age as quickly as air inflated tyres.
    Nitrogen inflated tyres improve vehicle handling through proper inflation and constantly maintained pressure.
    Nitrogen inflated tyres minimize blowouts.
    Nitrogen is an inert, non-combustible and non-flammable gas.
    Nitrogen is a stable gas providing more constant pressure.

THE EFFECTS of UNDER INFLATION ON TYRE WEAR and FUEL USE
    It is also the single most overlooked item recognized by service agents during maintenance visits. It is not uncommon to have to add inflation pressures to all tyres.

Correct inflation is highly significant when considering tyre life and performance. It is not always possible to look at a tyre and detect under-inflation. However, under-inflation can cause many tyre related problems. As inflation pressure largely determines a tyre’s load capacity, under-inflation results in an overloaded tyre. An under-inflated tyre operates at high deflection resulting in decreased fuel economy, sluggish handling and may result in excessive mechanical flexing and heat build up, leading to tyre failure.
    Great Thread Wardski . I have all my cars on it and my sister in law who destroyed the front tyres on the edges with still 95% thread in the middle now has new front tyres and Nito in all 4 tyres and in 8 months they still look like new.....

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

When I my new rims I ask for N2 as most of my other friends (rice boys etc) they all use N2.

6. Default

Sounds like N2 is the biz. I'm going in on Sat to get me some

This is really good feedback guys, altho I expected a little better from Doc lol

Sounds like N2 is the biz. I'm going in on Sat to get me some

This is really good feedback guys, altho I expected a little better from Doc lol

Much better for track use to temp doesn't move anywhere near normally air.... Wow only 10 votes ....

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    You would be absolutley mad if you don't use nitro in your tyres... FULL STOP... I use to tell people they were mad using it, that's when I should of shut my mouth because I didn't know what I was saying, I have been using it now for 5 years and will never look back..... I get more life out of my tyres and the edges last to the end and I don't check my tyre pressures for 6 months at a time and the top ups are free for the life of the tyres....

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Incorrect Phil if you are in a position that you need to top your tyres up you can if you are no where near a Bob Jane store, and next time you go to your installer they will release the air out and top it up for you, providing you haven't driven over a nail like I did down the coast last week. They repaired the tyre and fill it up with Nitro for $35 at Mermaid Waters, I drove from Burleigh Heads to find a Bob Jane store still had some pressure in the tyre if not I would have top it up at a servo if I needed to till I found a Bob Jane Store...

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Depending if you know the guys at Bob Jane normally around $5.00 to $7.50 per tyre but remember they top it up for free for the life of your tyres.. I got mine for nothing because they love my business.... I check mine every 4 to 6 months only out by 1 to 2 PSI each time and I run on 38PSI..

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I only lose 1 to 2 PSI over 4 to 6 months Chris..... This should give you better fuel economy with your tyres keeping even temp all the time. That's why they tell you to pump your tyres when tyres are colder at the servos because tyres fluctuate in temp....

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Go back and tell him he's a and to go sell newspapers...

I'M ON FIRE...
    yea i was omly going on what they told me as i was ready to get it put in my tyres but was then discouraged by ppl i talked to so didnt bother. would b worth a run though i spose
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

9. Default

everytime i buy tyres i still havent been asked if i wanted it. I thought they would have been up selling it like Mcdonalds (do u want fries with that).

I can get it for free.. and I still dont bother...

It doesn't take long for tires to heat up.. and I don't throw the car about till the oil is at operating temp.

The cold tire pressure stated has taken into account the few (2-3) psi increase which will occur when the tires reach optimum temps.

And for what its worth I check my tyres once a month.. and I don't loose two fifths of stuff all.

Take it for whats its worth.

If you want to give it a shot.. fill your boots.

Enjoy guys

Doc

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

and remember that air is 78 % nitrogen (i think from memory)

the thermal properties of air vs nitrogen is minimal.

Aircraft wheels still fluctuate in pressure after a landing.. this is not rock sold pressure irregardless of temperature .. it defeats some pretty important gas laws

Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I can get it for free.. and I still dont bother...

It doesn't take long for tires to heat up.. and I don't throw the car about till the oil is at operating temp.

The cold tire pressure stated has taken into account the few (2-3) psi increase which will occur when the tires reach optimum temps.

And for what its worth I check my tyres once a month.. and I don't loose two fifths of stuff all.

Take it for whats its worth.

If you want to give it a shot.. fill your boots.

Enjoy guys

Doc

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

and remember that air is 78 % nitrogen (i think from memory)

the thermal properties of air vs nitrogen is minimal.

Aircraft wheels still fluctuate in pressure after a landing.. this is not rock sold pressure irregardless of temperature .. it defeats some pretty important gas laws

Cheers all

One for all Doc, after driving for 29 years I've had the best wear out of my tyres in the last 5 years, and I used to check my pressures every week to 2 weeks with out fail now i do it every 4 to 6 months so in the last 5 years I've check my tyres 10 to 12 times compared to 260 times or 130 times normally.. Hey I was like you for the 1st 24 years of driving bagging the nitro.. Should try it 1st it will only cost you $20 to $30 for the life of those tyres nothing to lose. And it's better for the track ..... There's no right or wrong answer with this one...

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

as I said.. i can get it for free.. and I have used it before..
    There was no difference to me. Not in wear, and i even checked the hot and cold temps for both standard compressed air vs dry nitrogen, and my digital reader (calibrated, and certified) told me there was 0.8 psi difference between the two when tires were hot. AND I only check my tire pressures once a month, I see verrrrry little px drop. About the same as I seen with the dry nitrogen. Give or take 0.2-0.5 psi. I like to get all scientific with things, even when I am not paying for it. Its just added hassle imo.

If you like it. Nice. I hope you enjoy your car and the drive..

These are simply the facts that I found. If your method proves results for you, it may come down to driving styles, habits, etc etc.

If it work for you I wish you luck with it friend.

Cheers

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    as I said.. i can get it for free.. and I have used it before..
    There was no difference to me. Not in wear, and i even checked the hot and cold temps for both standard compressed air vs dry nitrogen, and my digital reader (calibrated, and certified) told me there was 0.8 psi difference between the two when tires were hot. AND I only check my tire pressures once a month, I see verrrrry little px drop. About the same as I seen with the dry nitrogen. Give or take 0.2-0.5 psi. I like to get all scientific with things, even when I am not paying for it. Its just added hassle imo.

If you like it. Nice. I hope you enjoy your car and the drive..

These are simply the facts that I found. If your method proves results for you, it may come down to driving styles, habits, etc etc.

If it work for you I wish you luck with it friend.

Cheers

Doc

No sweat Doc your servo air must be different to Qld, warmer climate who knows,I've compared 24 years without nitro to 5 years with, like I said there is not right or wrong, and yes I drove my cars harder in my younger years now not so hard .This is just a great idea who have family/ women /geeks that drive there cars from A to B and don't look after their cars like most or check their tyres regularly.... Your comments have been noted....

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

From what I've heard you'll never really notice the benefits of nitrogen in your tyres due to the fact that most tyre centres don't have the sufficient equipment to firstly, vacuum the oxygen out of your tyres, while at the same time injecting nitrogen into them, eliminating any oxygen. If it is not done correctly, it defeats the purpose. It's highly regarded for its "wank factor" by many street car enthusiasts.

Never used it, check pressures once a week anyway. Not sure I'd gain from any benefits it may offer.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    ... It's highly regarded for its "wank factor" by many street car enthusiasts.
    @ wank factor

i think this web site got better explaination
    Inflating tyres with Nitrogen compared to compressed air

Quote Originally Posted by mmyou View Post
    i think this web site got better explaination
    Inflating tyres with Nitrogen compared to compressed air
    I was going to scan something that was given to me about nitrogen but couldn't be bothered in wasting my time and energy.. Really I can't be bothered looking for it in the filing system ....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 09-04-2010 at 07:24 AM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Smile Let it go rino !!!

Rino you & I know the benifits let it be you can only lead the donkey's to the stream you can't drink for them

The last time I looked F1 & Aircraft engineers were not included in the WANKER CATEGORY !!!!!!!!

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    and yes I drove my cars harder in my younger years now not so hard .This is just a great idea who have family/ women /geeks that drive there cars from A to B and don't look after their cars like most or check their tyres regularly.... Your comments have been noted....
    Cheers for the comments mate..

Its nice to have a discussion without it turning into something else..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast