User Tag List

Thread: too much oil - DOH!

Default too much oil - DOH!

So i have a new gen 2 with 6K kms on the clock. Decided to randomly check my oil level and WOW it was below minimum. Looked at the manual and it says that its normal for a new engine to use up alot of oil.
    Anyhow I filled up with oil but put waayyy too much. It was like 3 or 4 cm above the 'Max' indicator on the dip stick.

I drove it that day but kept it under 2.500 RPM and took it easy. I then called around and was told to drain some of that oil immediately.

Drained some of the oil for the first time ever on a mazda, wasnt as bad as i thought actually. Almost as easy as my old commodore.
    Now i think its all better - just hope i didnt do any damage when i drove it around on too much oil.

Default Oil Usage

New engines especially with only 6K should def not have used that amount of oil (below min).
    I would def put on notice the dealer ,of this problem . You prob have not done any damage by overfilling for that short period ,but overfilling can cause serious problems if left . A small amount of oil loss is acceptable IE 500ml over a reasonable time frame ,but def not what you have stated. Put it on record with dealer .

Yep i think i will do that - thanks for the tip

make sure your reading the dip stick correctly..

you need to get the engine hot... let it cool for 5 mins..
    remove dip stick.. ignore whats on it.. wipe it.. then have a read.. otherwise you'll get stupid low readings..

I assume this is what has occurred... rather than a new engine drinking the oil.

Good luck and keep us updated mate

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 07-04-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typos galore

Has run its course any issues please PM me