User Tag List

Thread: White smoke on start up 2010.

Default White smoke on start up 2010.

Hi guys. ive noticed a couple of times on start up that there has been what looks like white smoke come from the exhaust. Car only has has 2000 kms on it. i also noticed it a couple of times when it was still under 1000kms. Its doesnt always happen and the times it has its been in the morning when its had the night to sit. I find it hard to beleive there could be anything wrong yet. Do any of you 2010 drivers experience this or no what it might be? White smoke is oil right?

I know a friend who has a Gen2 3MPS with 3000kms on the clock and its blowing white smoke on start up.

Told him to take it to Mazda...the turbo seals are gone

Happy Motoring
    duglet

its hard to beleive.
    ill look into it. if so, theses cars are shit!

I had that issue for a while in my other Gen 2 mps.

I think after about 3000km or so it just disappeared.

Had the same worries about the turbo seals, but think it was just the exhaust burning in.

Cant hurt to get it checked out though.

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post

Told him to take it to Mazda...the turbo seals are gone
    Surely if it was the seals it would be more consistent. plus, when it did it this morning i jump straight out whilst it was running to see if i could smell burning oil. which i couldnt. I am unconvinced a car could blow the turbo seals out in less than 1000kms. The first time i noticed it was probably around 500. ill keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    I had that issue for a while in my other Gen 2 mps.

I think after about 3000km or so it just disappeared.

Had the same worries about the turbo seals, but think it was just the exhaust burning in.

Cant hurt to get it checked out though.

I'd go with the exhaust burning in theory first up, if it's still around at about 5000km then I'd be starting to get concerned.

The only thing about the exhaust theory is why would it blow smoke out in the first 5 sec of start up? surely nothing could be at temp to burn in that time?

It blows white smoke on startup for 5 seconds? Does it smell of anything?

After reading your latest post I reckon it's condensation/water burning off, would bet $20 on that and I'm not a gambler

Do you park your car outside at night or is it in a garage?

Ill check mine this morning and post my results.

[QUOTE=cotn;102251]its hard to beleive.
    ill look into it. if so, theses cars are shit![/QUOTE

The car is brilliant perhaps the turbo is shit but like any other faulty part on any make of car it will be replaced under warranty I seriously dought it is but like any mechanical part its possable
    I am hoping its not turbo seals at such an early stage .
    Col

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post

I keep it in a garage... checked this morning and there was nothing.

Default double up

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    It blows white smoke on startup for 5 seconds? Does it smell of anything?

After reading your latest post I reckon it's condensation/water burning off, would bet $20 on that and I'm not a gambler

Yep I'll double the bet and go with the condensation/water burning off theory. Wouldn't be concerned until you start sending smoke signals.

No smoke on mine...car was left outside

14. Default

id be backing its condensation. if so it will happen when the motor is very cold.
    also, it might be more evident as the winter weather sets in. very cold mornings will be more evident. id be checking it more so when it is warm than cold. if it happens when its warm then its more a concern than now.

wow this is interesting

i've got a 2009 mps

when i start my engine cold it will ALWAYS rev to like 2000rpm idling and take around a minute or two to drop to 1000rpm. i've accepted that as normal now

but i've tested what you said and taken a look the last two times and i get white smoke coming out of both exhausts for around about 30 seconds.

speak to mazda? 1500km done so far

edit: i garage my car and my personal feelings is it's not cold enough to be condensation these last few melbourne mornings. easter sunday 10am for melb residents reference
    Last edited by hng; 04-04-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: addition

ok, its not condensation. I started it up this arvo after it sitting for the night and day. i noticed it again so i ran around to the back of the car. could smell the exhaust fumes but its not a burnt oil smell....

Your car is a turbo which runs hotter than most,cold air is drawn into the exhaust at cool down and hey presto moisture is formed. At start up leave your roller door down and you will notice water splatters .,black drops etc. This is normal ,smoke is a different matter no moisture. Also watch your rear mirror when you tramp it ,e xcess carbon and soot built up in ex will be seen.
    Hope this helps.

normal..

white bad smoke has a smell to it.. and it only happens when the car is hot