User Tag List

Thread: Prima Hydro or Slick?

Default Prima Hydro or Slick?

Hi guys,

I'm a detailing noob, and I've decided to educate myself. I've got myself a liquid wax (meguiar's), polish, car soap and all the microfibre stuff and have been doing a bit of my own detailing (following ZAS's detailing library).

I have about 80 bucks to spend on some more stuff and I was thinking about getting Prima Amigo, ZAS clay bar and lubricant and either Prima Hydro or Prima Slick for keeping up the shine. What are the differences between the two?

I have the time to regularly give my car a bit of a wash and wax, so I don't mind getting a product that isn't as durable, but then again durability is always a plus .

So I'd love to hear any advice/recommendations you guys might have. THANKS.

EDIT: Actually should I even get amigo? Maybe banana gloss instead? I'm looking for a really nice shine...
    Last edited by ZER0K; 01-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Hi There

I often have the same drama. Slick or Hydro?

Hydro - Is a synthetic wax in spray form. Boosts protection, adds some nice gloss to the finish and will add 4-6 weeks to your current protection.

Slick - Is an anti-static quick detail spray. Gives a very sharp and slick finish. Doesn't boost protection like Hydro.

IMO Slick looks better, but Hydro serves more of a purpose.

If you already have the Megs polish then you are kind of doubling up getting the Amigo. I'd skip it, get the clay kit (assuming your car needs a clay?), either the Slick or the Hydro.

If you've got some change, then you could look at products for other areas of the car like interior, or wheels, tyres etc.

One thing that always compliments your hard work on the paint is good looking tyres! I'm using Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel at the moment. It doesn't last as long as the name might suggest, but geeze it looks good.

Thanks heaps for the advice!

I actually don't have Meg's polish (just the liquid wax), I have polyglaze diamond finish polish and I'm a little reluctant to use it on new cars (with the paint protection and all that). Would amigo be better for hiding scratches and things of that nature? Also is it good on new cars?

I will think about the tyre gel stuff! I actually have some wheel foam, but I'm assuming that the gel really brings out a shine.

Ah ok, well in that case you will definately benefit from the Amigo. It will hide some swirls (not as much as Banana Gloss though) and add some nice gloss to the paintwork ready for your wax.

Is the Megs wax you've got the Tech Wax?

Oh okay!

I have Meg's Gold Class Liquid Wax. Is there a big difference between liquid wax and other kinds of wax?

The NXT Tech Wax is actually a synthetic wax (sealant), Gold Class is carnauba based.

Both get good reviews. I just think maybe the Tech Wax might be a bit more durable. I'd go with the Hydro in that case to make sure you keep up the protection.

Gold class is good, I used to use it.

Just, for gods sake, dont get it on unfinished plastic. It leaves a bad white residue.

Alright thanks for the help guys! I think I'll get the hydro, amigo and clay kit. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by thesilverdragon View Post
    Alright thanks for the help guys! I think I'll get the hydro, amigo and clay kit. Excellent!
    I just wanted to pipe up and add that I am in love with Slick..my shed/garage isn't sealed very well and dust/dirt blows in pretty much all the time. Ordinarily after a wash I put the car away and the next morning I am faced with a thin layer of brown dust/dirt all over the car.

I applied Slick to the entire car on Friday after a wash (4 days ago) with some skepticism that the anti-static properties may not be enough to save me from my usual brown tinted fate but imagine my surprise when the next day I was greeted with a spotless car...and in fact, it's still mostly spotless today.

So here's my vote for Slick, it's awesome!
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Yes, it is orse.

I washed my black bitch, and once i've dried it (with ZAS waffle-weave) I apply Slick. The finish is nothing short of awesome.

I swear by the entire Prima range. ...I think everyone knows that.

You'll be happy to know there are some new Prima products in the works Dan. An All-In-One Polish/Sealant, a leather cleaner to go with the Nourish conditioner for the Gen 2 MPS owners and Gen 1 MPS owners who don't have the POV pack like me And more that I don't have details on yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    You'll be happy to know there are some new Prima products in the works Dan. An All-In-One Polish/Sealant
    I might need to look into this one
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

haha now i'm having second thoughts.. maybe i should've got slick as well! Oh well next time.

On it's way mate. Should arrive before the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    a leather cleaner to go with the Nourish conditioner for the Gen 2 MPS owners and Gen 1 MPS owners who don't have the POV pack like me

I'm (easily) confused, isn't Nourish a leather cleaner anyway? I was about to order some but should I wait for this magical new product?
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch2k View Post
    I'm (easily) confused, isn't Nourish a leather cleaner anyway? I was about to order some but should I wait for this magical new product?
    Nourish is a conditioner, it's basically putting in, what the sun takes out of your leather seats

A cleaner will assist in removing stains etc.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Dan is spot on. The new product I referred to will work with Prima Nourish. More for older leather that needs cleaning, or on newer cars that have dirty seats. You clean, then you apply the conditioner.

In most peoples case on this forum, their leather is brand spanking new at this point in time. A wipe down with a damp cloth should be sufficient.