User Tag List

Thread: Unichip?Any good?

Default Unichip?Any good?

Hey, just wondering if the uni chips are any good?and if yes who tunes them in australia?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Never even heard of them actually...link??

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

I had one in my SS over 10 years ago. Basically a piggyback computer, fitted by C&V from memory. Don't know if they still do them. Gave me 209 killerwasps at the wheels on a very hot day.
    Not too sure if they give as good as much "tune ability" some of the other piggy backs.

They are a solder on type right?

Best bet - and the most widely used are - Chiptorque Xede (or flash) OR the CPE Standback.

There is actually a stand back for sale in the trading section for a great price...
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...zda-3-mps.html

Discussed any issues please PM me

Re-Opened at the request of Coiled for discussion

doesnt col (you lose) have one on his mps?

Thanks Jmac!

Having used unichips for years and seeing this post on OZMPS I thought I would share a recent post of mine on the WRX Club forum as these are a very reliable solution that works well with drive by wire cars and would easily work with the MPS.
    If you are in Brisbane, I strongly recommend talking to CNJ Motorsport. They have been tuning my cars for over 5yrs and are extremely experienced tuners.
    If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask and if I don't know the answer I will find out for you.

I have used earlier version Unichips in previous car with success but when I had the Unichip fitted to my 06 STi a couple of years back it was a Unichip Q+ which I knew had added functionality but never looked into it. With the car in getting the heads done, I thought it was a good time to check the tune and add a second map so I started looking into the functionality of the new units (designated Q or Q+ with the boost module built in negating the need for stand alone boost controllers etc).
    The new toy I had added to mine relates to maps which it now supports up to five fully independent customisable maps. These can be selected using either a traditional switch or via the option I went for which is a bluetooth interface using your mobile phone. Either option allows next to instant switching with bluetooth taking 2 seconds max and can be done with engine running. I now have four maps - high power, safe track map - reduced boost (15psi), running richer & slightly less advanced timing (still about 180kw atw), a valet map which has no boost and a very low redline and then an immobiliser map which confuses the ECU so it cannot start. The added advantage of using the bluetooth is that someone can't jump in the car, flick the switch and get high power or switch off immobiliser and there is no bulky hardware to lug around or lengthy reflashing processes to change the map that could potentially fail to load causing a failure. For those of you with smartphones/windows mobiles there is some software available called Flux which allows you to read ECU data, read CEL codes & reset them etc.
    Along with the above functionality which has obvious appeal it can also run the below features
    - drive intercooler sprays based on multiple criteria eg boost, throttle position & rpm
    - launch control - (I am thinking about using my 5th map slot as a dedicated map that includes this)
    - speedo correction
    - data logging
    - control nitrous/water/methanol injection
    - drive additional injectors
    - manipulate 5 aditional inputs
    - retuning when new mods are added is much cheaper due to real time tuning. time isn't wasted reflashing each change into the ECU.
    Needless to say I am thoroughly happy with the product, the tune and general outcome otherwise I wouldn't waste the time typing this. Big thanks to Kel & CNJ for getting this installed and sorted out as I am supposedly the first car in Australia to have the Bluetooth fitted and there was some trial and error in there with software in my mobile phone as I don't have a flashy smartphone and my employer imposes ridiculous security measures on our mobile phones (American Company).
    If you want me to show you the map switching just ask as it is nice and easy!

Coiled, is this a solder on type?

The Unichip module is all plugs (as to be expected) and you can then either use a plug in loom if it is available for the vehicle or a generic loom which is a wire in and enables the unit to be installed in basically any ECU managed car. How it is "wired in" would depend on the installer and is something you would need to discuss with them. It is however easily uninstalled if it is needed to be removed or transferred to another car.

Ah Thanks.
    same deal as Xede etc.