User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAI : Short Ram or not?

Default CAI : Short Ram or not?

I am considering designing a CAI setup for my 3 and I was just wondering about some details, Is a short ram type setup (Filter in the engine bay) or a long ram type setup (filter in the lower wheel arch area) better suited to the 3, overall? I've done both to previous cars, but can't decide for this car. The short ram will be sheilded in the engine bay and utilising the factory air intake from the front, but if I decide on the long ram, it may get in the way for FMIC piping (coming soon hopefully). Any information would be greatly appreciated. EOI for the pricing (i.e. approx. $ figure you would expect to pay) so I can gauge whether or not it would be viable to have multiple items manufactured would be good. I don't expect to make millions of $. I just want to see the MPS in a league of its own campared to other FWD turbo cars. It seems MPS3 stuff is hard to come by, without a wait. We have a good starting point of a base model to start from, why not enhance it out of reach from other FWD turbos. Thanks for any input, Troy
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I notice stuff all difference between SRI or CAI (have a Mazdaspeed CAI that I switch to SRI by leaving the lower pipe section off). Intake temps on the move are only 2-4 degrees above ambient when it's in SRI mode so I just tend to run that most of the time.

Not sure if that's useful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    I notice stuff all difference between SRI or CAI (have a Mazdaspeed CAI that I switch to SRI by leaving the lower pipe section off). Intake temps on the move are only 2-4 degrees above ambient when it's in SRI mode so I just tend to run that most of the time.

Not sure if that's useful to you.
    Do you move the air filter to the wheel well (i.e long ram or long intake length) or do you have the filter in the engine bay all the time and just change the cold air path?
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

At the moment the filter just sits in the engine bay (SRI), no trickery with ducting, positioning or the like. With the rest of the pipework on (CAI) it's down under the bumper, so I guess I just change the cold air path.

I haven't gone to any trouble with configuration! I do have some ducting sitting in the shed that I was going to have a play with but when I saw the intake temps were OK in SRI mode I didn't bother.

It does what I want it to do (provides a little bit more grunt and makes the woosh noises louder) so I'm happy. If I was looking at it as part of a more comprehensive mod setup I'd probably put more thought into it, and do some CAD drawings of my own design to get fabricated after studying the airflow into that area of the car.

I have just put the CPE XcelNANO SRI on mine and its sweet! I haven't ran a CAI on the MPS (though i did have an AEM one on my old SP23). As others have mentioned, intake temps with the SRI as only a few deg above ambient when moving, so i don't think temps are an issue. Temps when sitting in traffic can get quite high, but not any worse than the stock intake from what i have seen.

See here for pics and stuff of my CPE XcelNANO - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=12

Cheers.

Karl.

Cheers for your thoughts and comments, heat soak is the problem I see, like the intercooler. I'll experiment in weeks to come and post my findings, with temp readings etc, thanks again, Troy

7. Default

I have the short ram CES jobie which definately does the job

I've measured the IAT intake temp using the Dashhawk on the weekend out of interest on my way home from 1770, and found that intake temp was only 1-2 degrees over ambient, so thats not too bad if you ask me.

I would only be worried about intake temps when stationary, as this is when the engine bay does get hot, but then again, in summer, the long ram is closer to the ground, and tyre/inner wheel arch temps are just as high... With the long ram, you're also subject to getting a "wet" filter during those heavy rain days (like what we are experiencing recently) which may end up degrading the performance of the filter, and worst case ending up sucking some juice into the turbo/inner motor..

I would personally go with the short ram (its much easier to install), and just use a bit of heat shielding around the pipe, and back of the air filter (my slight mod to the CES) as it seems to do wonders
    Last edited by Wardski; 05-01-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Only one CAI/SRI that has a Turbo inlet pipe(CorkSport one).

Would be keen to see who fits that first and if they get better results than just a stock SRI/CAI!

I run the AEM CAI and its great i have worried about the wet weather though as i think my tires are spitting the water in the arch, i havent pulled it out to have a look yet so im not sure how wet if any it's been but i'll let you know what condition it's in when i get it out!

Quote Originally Posted by JestaT View Post
    I run the AEM CAI and its great i have worried about the wet weather though as i think my tires are spitting the water in the arch, i havent pulled it out to have a look yet so im not sure how wet if any it's been but i'll let you know what condition it's in when i get it out!
    Can you put a pre filter on it, something similar to the CPE one?
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    Only one CAI/SRI that has a Turbo inlet pipe(CorkSport one).

Would be keen to see who fits that first and if they get better results than just a stock SRI/CAI!
    I will be getting one of those as my first mod.
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 06-01-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Double post merged

Well, for my 2c...

I do the Wynnum road crawl every night on the way home....in 32-35degree Brisbane days....5kms in 1st gear...

My CPE CAI with pre-filter (for those nasty QLD storms) is en-route from Sydney to Vegas as we speak from the lads at MPS Garage...watch this space (or Dyno thread)

Jim

Hi 2XS, I've got a CPE CAI on my 6MPS (with no other engine mods), been on for about 6 months and very happy so far with it. Makes the right noises, especially under full throttle, power increases not sure? however the power appears to come on earlier and smoother and lasts longer too - it happily revs to 6500 and still feels like it would go more, whereas the stock felt a bit lethargic after 6000rpm.
    Chris

good to hear as the CPE is an expensive piece of kit!

How was the fitting of it it? I am under the impression that its a tight fit around an air-con pipe?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimred07 View Post
    Well, for my 2c...

I do the Wynnum road crawl every night on the way home....in 32-35degree Brisbane days....5kms in 1st gear...

My CPE CAI with pre-filter (for those nasty QLD storms) is en-route from Sydney to Vegas as we speak from the lads at MPS Garage...watch this space (or Dyno thread)

Jim
    where did you get a pre filter???
    2006 Radiant Ebony Mazda6 MPS GG Luxury | AEM CAI |Gmax Enigma 18"x7.5 Toyo Rubber ! Kings Super Lows /
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by jimred07 View Post
    good to hear as the CPE is an expensive piece of kit!

How was the fitting of it it? I am under the impression that its a tight fit around an air-con pipe?

Jim
    Actually bought mine while AUD was $0.90 to USD, so was not too expensive. Fitting it was tough and had to disconnect the bracket which held the A/C pipe, maneuver the CAI around it, then try and re-attach the A/C pipe, after much cursing and bruised knuckles got it in and connected with no other problems. Interestingly I emailed the RPM store with this feedback and received this response:

Chris,

Thank you for the feedback. We are actually already aware of this situation. If a customer asks us about the intake, we typically tell them that the AEM intake provides a better fit due to the differences in the curvature of the pipe.

Thanks,

Donny
    RPM

Apparently different set-up for A/C hose in the US.
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    Hi Jesta, I too got a "water repellent pre filter" bought this from the RPM store at the time I got the CAI.
    Last edited by shakespeare; 07-01-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Double post merged

MPS Garage sell them, not sure though if this CPE prefilter fits all the other filter brands with similar shape.

LINK-->CPE Pre-filter

sweet thanks guys i'll msg mps garage about getting one sent up

Good feedback for the fitting of it - I am like a monkey with 10 thumbs so I'm gonna pay APC at springwood $99 to do it for me, will get a dyno done after and compare.

Waterproof filter - must have I reckon....I wonder is we can remove the plastic at the front of the wheel well?

legally the air filter can't be exposed visually, like in the engine bay. Down in the wheel well is fine I am told by the police, if you can't see it, covered by the plastic wheel arch trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast