User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CAI : Short Ram or not?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    legally the air filter can't be exposed visually, like in the engine bay. Down in the wheel well is fine I am told by the police, if you can't see it, covered by the plastic wheel arch trim.
    While you are correct, I've never been pulled up by the smokin bacon in blue, in my entire lifetime, and asked to show them my pod filter...

If they did, I'd pull if off, wrap my shirt over the pipe and seal with the gasket, and drive it home

if you use a prefilter such as the one out by CPE, you eliminate the "complete exposure" of the air filter and it becomes legal.

But i think it would be pretty harsh to get defected for a exposed air filter!

If you hang around the wrong places, when wobbly wheels turns up and they want you defected for something, anything obvious is gonna be a defect. I'm up $#!7 creek, my air filter and BOV are really obvious when you open the bonnet, but, oh well, I do it for the noise. lol.

Yeah - i think there is a local cop with his eye on me - there is a really sweet "traffic calming measure" (read chicane) right outside his house - dog balls bright red mps6 with a raspy exhaust and Acca/Dacca blarring isnt too subtle....might just leave the plastic on for now.

CAI gets fitted tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    legally the air filter can't be exposed visually, like in the engine bay. Down in the wheel well is fine I am told by the police, if you can't see it, covered by the plastic wheel arch trim.
    Actually, in QLD a pod filter only needs to be SECURE and not enclosed. Anyone who tells you different is full of ****e..
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

6. Default

+1 what 2000MN said

My cousin who is a police officer in Mt Isa said the same thing when I was on skype with him on Tuesday night

Well...the CPE CAI is fitted....

Power feels better, torque feels better, whole car feels better.

Its LOUD. Induction is LOUD, Turbosmart BOV is loud (in full recric) every throttle release is accompanied by a whoooosh and high pressure release gives avery reassuring PSSSTTTTTT...Which is exactly what its all designed to do I guess. So, for those of you who like to be heard this is just the mod for you!

I have put the stock BOV back on in an attempt to queiten it down a bit, and I have managed to do so...but its still loud.

This is a great mod, but the intake that suits each of us may well be different:

I'd be keen to organise a meet up bewteen me with the CPE, swallowtail with his mazdaspeed and jestaT with the AEM and compare...from memory the Mazdaspeed is quiet as....

Anyone got any thoughts?

Jim
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

hey Jim, from memory on OMC forum there was a few threads which stated the AEM and Mazdaspeed CAI's where the same unit, also the AEM has a smaller diameter pipe, so in theory should be a little quieter, though I do like your idea to line them up and test.

The CPE CAI takes a bit of getting used to, as you're right it is waaaay louder than stock, not that I'm big on excess noise but with the passenger window down under full throttle acceleration - man it sounds goooooood!

9. Default

hey guys,

how about in NSW? Does this pre filter thing become legal? I have read that Corksport is making an airbox that could fit different SRIs!!

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...=corksport+SRI
    Last edited by jozeff; 19-01-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added link

Blog Entries

that SRI cold box is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
    hey guys,

how about in NSW? Does this pre filter thing become legal? I have read that Corksport is making an airbox that could fit different SRIs!!

Something CorkSport is working on.. - Mazda Forums

If you use the CPE CAI and put a pre filter on it, in NSW it's legal.

Mind you, with the CPE CAI it's out of sight, so I highly doubt you will get done.
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    If you use the CPE CAI and put a pre filter on it, in NSW it's legal.

Mind you, with the CPE CAI it's out of sight, so I highly doubt you will get done.
    How about the pre-filter on the XcelNANO SRI? Doubt it is, though the only difference is the SRI is in plain sight whereas the CAI is hidden down in the guard..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12